Author Topic: Something big is going to happen....  (Read 39106 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Something big is going to happen....
« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2008, 07:07:01 pm »
Well good evening fellow goon :pimp:

Huh?  What does that mean?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2008, 07:08:53 pm »
You think that's bad?  Read this one  http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/E8-23547.htm

Read into Federal Register.  Yet not a single thing reported about it in ANY news media?  Kinda odd.

Looks like it's just routine emergency planning:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/124176.php

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,431425,00.html

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2008, 07:14:28 pm »
Just routine? Out of the blue?  Read what has to be done to activate this preparedness.  "A credible threat".  So what threat do they mean?

Here's what they said in issue of this:

" Therefore, pursuant to section 319F-3(b) of the Act, I have
determined there is a credible risk that the threat of exposure of B.
anthracis
and the resulting disease constitutes a public health
emergency."

So what is this credible threat to exposure?  If there is a credible threat, don't you think the public should be told about what, where, when the risk is??  Afterall, this is being called a public health emergency to activate the powers of this Act.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 07, 2008, 07:22:56 pm »
Hasn't it already happened?

IIRC, a few postal workers contracted anthrax back in 2001 when some terrorist wannabe decided to put the stuff in envelopes and mail it around the country.

Didn't have much lasting effect, but it certainly demonstrated a "credible threat". Makes sense that we should be prepared in case someone tries it again on a larger scale.

EDIT: from the last line of that Fox News article - "In the autumn of 2001, anthrax-laced letters killed five and sickened 17 others in the U.S."

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 07, 2008, 07:30:17 pm »
Hasn't it already happened?

IIRC, a few postal workers contracted anthrax back in 2001 when some terrorist wannabe decided to put the stuff in envelopes and mail it around the country.

Didn't have much lasting effect, but it certainly demonstrated a "credible threat". Makes sense that we should be prepared in case someone tries it again on a larger scale.

EDIT: from the last line of that Fox News article - "In the autumn of 2001, anthrax-laced letters killed five and sickened 17 others in the U.S."

So if that's the case, why weren't these emergency powers adopted back in 2001?  That was 7 years ago....Why just now?  Just seems odd if you ask me.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 07, 2008, 09:18:37 pm »
So if that's the case, why weren't these emergency powers adopted back in 2001?  That was 7 years ago....Why just now?  Just seems odd if you ask me.

I'm sure Mitlov will be along to clear it up for us, but my take on it is that the "emergency powers" are something that already exist under the larger Public Health Services Act. I don't know, but it's probably been in effect for ages.

This anthrax thing seems like just a routine application to have the anthrax risk recognized as a possible health threat under the Act.

Leviathan

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 07, 2008, 11:20:02 pm »
^^Ah man...that sucks ass......WTF is up with that??

SkiBunny

« Reply #228 on: October 08, 2008, 03:10:29 pm »
CDN Dollar is collapsing into a freefall, wow-o-wow  !!!

C$ is down 10 cents since sept and lost 21 cents since a year ago.

Daily FX projects that the loonie should rise back to 1.08 before plunging to 1.28 soon and lower .... according to all their technical charts.

This will make imported items much more expensive.  For example, expect your fruit & veggies from the US to double in price by sometime next year compared to before.  Car prices could rise significantly too even though demand will be very soft as the recession takes affect.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2008, 08:17:07 pm »
There is no reliable method available to forecast exchange rates. Paul Krugman and Maurice Obstfeld write in their book "International Economics: Theory and Policy" (New York, HarperCollins:1994): If exchange rates are asset prices that respond immediately to changes in expectations and interest rates, they should have properties similar to those of other asset prices, for example, stock prices. Like stock prices, exchange rates should respond strongly to "news," that is, unexpected economic and political events; and, like stock prices, they therefore should be very hard to forecast. In a study by Richard M. Levich ("Evaluating the Performance of the Forecasters", in: Donald R. Lessard, ed., "International Financial Management", New York: John Wiley:1985, pp. 218-233) in which he surveyed the track record of a dozen exchange rate forecasting companies through 1982 he found little evidence that professional forecaster do systematically better than an individual who, for example, uses the three month forward rate. That does not imply that forward rates are good predictors. In fact, they usually do not predict exchange rate movements very well.

http://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/trends.html
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

SkiBunny

« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2008, 05:07:03 pm »
There is no reliable method available to forecast exchange rates. Paul Krugman

Indeed few things in life can be "reliably" predicted, but sometimes exchange rates can be plausibly predicted.

No?  Try telling that to George Soros, who has made billions trading exchange rates and, most famously, breaking the Bank of England.

Likewise, tell that to folks at DailyFX who've made a small fortune betting that the USD would soar this year against the Euro and the sickly loonie.       

Paul Krugman is mouthy but largely clueless, like his fellow Princeton economics professor, the ineffective Fed chairman Ben Bernanke (who arguably should be fired for incompetence). 

If Krugman truly knew what he was talking about, he'd be independently wealthy like Soros instead of a wage-slave.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2008, 05:09:11 pm »
There is no reliable method available to forecast exchange rates. Paul Krugman

Indeed few things in life can be "reliably" predicted, but sometimes exchange rates can be plausibly predicted.

No?  Try telling that to George Soros, who has made billions trading exchange rates and, most famously, breaking the Bank of England.

Likewise, tell that to folks at DailyFX who've made a small fortune betting that the USD would soar this year against the Euro and the sickly loonie.       

Paul Krugman is mouthy but largely clueless, like his fellow Princeton economics professor, the ineffective Fed chairman Ben Bernanke (who arguably should be fired for incompetence). 

If Krugman truly knew what he was talking about, he'd be independently wealthy like Soros instead of a wage-slave.

Wow, SkiBunny, you sure are smart........
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

SkiBunny

« Reply #232 on: October 09, 2008, 05:19:41 pm »
Wow, SkiBunny, you sure are smart........

Nope, if i was smart I'd be rich like Soros or have a prestigious & cushy job like krugman.  Buggers lol.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #233 on: October 09, 2008, 05:22:36 pm »
...SMARTER than the average  BUNNY and that's a Compliment vis a vis Fried_MAN..a doofus wif a NY TIMES imprimatur and all that brings with it (these days NOTHING for those that actually read it!!! :'(...but GOSPEL ..sorry wrong word there..err. umm...REVELATIONS !! ;) to the New Jerk libs)........Soros spends his "winning bets" on propping up the TIME's LOT...wotta waste...better he had  a GOOD TIME WIFFIT...........

PS wasn't Sore_arse a big TIME CLINTONIAN..he could wipe her election debt off inna minute...Hell so could PaPa BILL C..the cheap bastard.........$50 Mill in gas-bagging fees......maybe the hookers at his newfound level are mighty picky and EXPENSIVE TA BOOT the olde fart around a simulated Oval Orifice........ :rofl2:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 05:26:07 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2008, 08:35:45 am »
Well rrocket.  I think with all the sh&t going on with the global economy.... your something big has happened!  It REALLY STINKS!!!!!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2008, 08:40:59 am »
Well rrocket.  I think with all the sh&t going on with the global economy.... your something big has happened!  It REALLY STINKS!!!!!

House not moving,
got my September statement, damp bank stocks 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2008, 09:43:02 am »

I can't say for sure it this was the "it", but this is certainly something big.  I suppose this could be "it" since this is something that has been felt globally.  But until I can really nail down these things I "see", I can't be sure...

I still think some type of military/terrorist type of thing is going to occur shortly too.....:(

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2008, 11:49:02 am »

House not moving,
got my September statement, damp bank stocks 

Houses are moving here... not as fast.... but still moving.  I empathize with you regarding stocks and mutual funds.  I logged on to look at my portfolio and started to cry.  Good thing I'm in for the long haul. 

UmroAyyar

« Reply #238 on: October 11, 2008, 12:48:40 pm »

I can't say for sure it this was the "it", but this is certainly something big.  I suppose this could be "it" since this is something that has been felt globally.  But until I can really nail down these things I "see", I can't be sure...

I still think some type of military/terrorist type of thing is going to occur shortly too.....:(

Well, these things are happening, just not around here.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2008, 10:19:16 pm »
Has IT happened yet ???