Author Topic: 2009 VW Golf GTI info.  (Read 19026 times)

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
2009 VW Golf GTI info.
« on: September 20, 2008, 07:16:20 pm »
http://www.pressportal.com.au/news/257/ARTICLE/3176/2008-09-19.html

UK’s car magazine have provided details on the upcoming new mark VI Golf range, and it sounds like Volkswagen’s top selling C-segment car is in for a busy 12 months of new variant releases.

Firstly, we are less than two weeks away from the new GTI appearing at the 2008 Paris Motor Show.  It will be unveiled on October 2nd, where we’ll see a number of styling upgrades over the standard variants.  The current GTI’s twin exhaust which is currently positioned to one side will be replaced by two separate pipes positioned at each of the far corners of the rear bumper.  Whilst power is not expected to increase by much, maximum torque may get a 20% rise.

The current Golf range topper, the AWD V6 R32 will be replaced with the R20T, distancing itself from the standard GTI with an AWD drivetrain and its higher powered engine, sourced from the Audi S3 and TTS, and should be good for approximately 187kW.

In other news, the upcoming Golf convertible is believed to have been put on ice, as Volkswagen bosses are worried about the car cannibalising EOS sales and the lower than expected sales of the canvas roofed Audi A3 convertible to date.

Source:  PressPortal News Team 

2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 VW Golf GTI info.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:39:26 pm »
I like the look of it very much, except the wheels. My understanding is the wheels pictured in the link below are the optional larger ones, with standard being a more conventional multispoke design. Hope so.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/22/next-vw-gti-puts-out-210-hp-r-version-gets-awd-and-270-hp/

VW has always understated its maximum performance numbers for the press announcements, I don't know why (insurance perhaps?). For example, the current GTI has done low 6's 0-60 in stock form in magazine tests while VW says it takes over 7 seconds. Although it doesn't say it in the above link, its rumoured the new GTI will have over 240 ft. lbs. of torque vs. the 207 in the current version. That's a major improvement. So that should mean low 6 sec. 0-60 with ease, not over 7 seconds like they say. Unless weight is way up?

The reality is, much has changed in the competitive landscape for this performance related segment since the VW GTI version that is currently on sale came to market. By introducing a new version, I believe the expectation of buyers (beyond existing GTI trade in buyers looking for the same type of thing I mean) is, the GTI will be able to be relatively competitive from the standpoint of performance even if it costs (a little) more, against what's out there. The much more powerful Mazdaspeed3 at sub $ 30k price fully loaded, Cobalt SS Turbo and Caliber Turbo which cost thousands less than that come to mind. Looks like VW missed the mark to me. VW/Audi have so many versions of the 2.0T which do produce more competitive power and torque, it baffles me how they didn't go for it and grab the brass ring when they could.   

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:01:09 pm »
The 2006-2008 GTI can be made to produce 240 bhp and 260 lbs/ft with just a chip, not even any exhaust or CAI.

To me the interesting one is the GTD. VW sold previous TDIs as GTDs in Euland.  The original 1.9 litre TDi pumped up a bit  to 150 bhp IIRC with the full GTI trim and suspension.   Pocket rocket with nearly 60 mpg
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 07:09:52 pm »
Will the R20T be offered in Canada?  The GTI is leagues ahead of the Impreza and Lancer in interior and exterior looks and refinement.  If a similarly-powered, AWD-driven VW were available here...  :drool:

vdk

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 11:38:17 pm »
You can always chip the damn thing... it takes like 5 min...  ;)
TPL is right, there's always been a sport diesel version of the Golf.. either with 150hp (1.9TDi) or 170hp (2.0TDI)... no news there...

I did expect a bit more power from the engine, it's not like it isn't capable or anything... 230hp stock would sound pretty good to me..

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 07:33:37 am »
Yup, I agree, can always be chipped easily, for $$ which of course has to be added to the car's price to compare against others in the segment..... Plus, there are some other things people should know when comparing car prices.

One of our 2 cars is a 2.0T Jetta, not chipped, a previous 1.8T was chipped. If the car is a 6 speed manual, the stock clutch has trouble with chipped torque. A "Stage 1" clutch kit with much higher torque capacity will solve that, @ around $ 1k installed - ka'ching, now we have that and the chip plus the car...... But wait, there's more! A high pressure fuel pump would be nice to avoid fuel cutout problems - well over $ 1k. A bypass valve capable of dealing with the lovely engine because there have been problems with the stock unit, that one is cheap, maybe $ 300/350- installed. And when the dealer does a software upgrade because of a TSB or whatever, now you sign a paper saying the ECU wasn't modified but if it was, and the upgrade wipes it off, then VW isn't responsible.

Food for thought.....no for me its stock under warranty without question, and its the manufacturer's problem to produce something competitive and interest me in buying it. In this case I'm thinking of the new GTI to replace my Accord Coupe, depending largely on what performance it has. 

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 11:30:22 am »
Will the R20T be offered in Canada?  The GTI is leagues ahead of the Impreza and Lancer in interior and exterior looks and refinement.  If a similarly-powered, AWD-driven VW were available here...  :drool:

Judging from the past history of the R32......  :'(
Who knows what VW Canada plans on doing in the future.

I think the current R32 and the A3 3.2L (250HP) should be replaced with R20T and S3 (270HP) for better power to fuel efficiency and vehicle weight balance!

vdk

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 01:44:26 pm »
Yup, I agree, can always be chipped easily, for $$ which of course has to be added to the car's price to compare against others in the segment..... Plus, there are some other things people should know when comparing car prices.

One of our 2 cars is a 2.0T Jetta, not chipped, a previous 1.8T was chipped. If the car is a 6 speed manual, the stock clutch has trouble with chipped torque. A "Stage 1" clutch kit with much higher torque capacity will solve that, @ around $ 1k installed - ka'ching, now we have that and the chip plus the car...... But wait, there's more! A high pressure fuel pump would be nice to avoid fuel cutout problems - well over $ 1k. A bypass valve capable of dealing with the lovely engine because there have been problems with the stock unit, that one is cheap, maybe $ 300/350- installed. And when the dealer does a software upgrade because of a TSB or whatever, now you sign a paper saying the ECU wasn't modified but if it was, and the upgrade wipes it off, then VW isn't responsible.

but you don't need all that... those are wants not needs...
as long as you're not gonna be dropping your clutch from 6k at every stoplight the stock clutch should be fine...
you buy the ECU software and it will always stay with the car, so if it gets erased no problem... pay your favorite APR dealer a visit... they'll check the VIN and voila!

There's 2 Stage3(380hp) A3s for sale... running stock clutch (one's even a DSG)...

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 03:22:34 pm »
Any word on the timing of these model releases??

If the R20T (or GTI-R or whatever it's called) is released in Canada, I'd definitely be interested. 

I guess that's VERY unlikely to happen in 2009 eh? 

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 03:42:18 pm »

but you don't need all that... those are wants not needs...
as long as you're not gonna be dropping your clutch from 6k at every stoplight the stock clutch should be fine...
you buy the ECU software and it will always stay with the car, so if it gets erased no problem... pay your favorite APR dealer a visit... they'll check the VIN and voila!

There's 2 Stage3(380hp) A3s for sale... running stock clutch (one's even a DSG)...

Expect at least 1 year after the Euro launch.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 04:41:19 pm »

I think the current R32 and the A3 3.2L (250HP) should be replaced with R20T and S3 (270HP) for better power to fuel efficiency and vehicle weight balance!

IIRC, the R32 didn't meet Canadian bumper regulations.  Now that those have changed, maybe VW will play nice.  At the least, I hope they'll let us import them - how is VW about US imports now?

vdk

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 07:01:08 pm »

IIRC, the R32 didn't meet Canadian bumper regulations.  Now that those have changed, maybe VW will play nice.  At the least, I hope they'll let us import them - how is VW about US imports now?

No warranty in CAN for US vehicles.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 08:02:41 pm »
The GTI needs to be AWD when HP levels go above 240 IMO. Torque steer is no fun.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 09:57:12 am »

That's only for '09 models and newer though, no?  My friend just picked up a US '08 GTI and it is covered.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

vdk

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 01:09:19 pm »

That's only for '09 models and newer though, no?  My friend just picked up a US '08 GTI and it is covered.

When I called Customer Care last time, the auto-message they had said that cars bought in the US after Sept. Xth will not be covered in Canada.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 07:30:35 am »

vdk

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 04:02:14 pm »
210hp and 206lb-ft? WTF? Jeeze.... and still rolling on Huffs...  ::)

Offline BernardP

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 09:55:24 pm »
More information including pics:

autoblog.com/2008/09/24/breaking-first-images-of-2009-volkwagen-gti-mkvi-surface/

It still has the "telephone dial" wheels that simply don't fit with the rest of the car and belong on a New Beetle. Big improvement in the front end that has finally dropped the ugly, blacked-out "uniframe" aka "big mouth" motif. Much better like this.

Now VW, we want to see some bold colors: electric blue (R32-like) and metallic red for starters. This is a sporty car. Enough wirh black-white-grey

2014 Audi A4 2.0T 6MT

vdk

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 11:37:10 pm »
telephone dial? try dialing a # with those and you'll prolly slice ur finger in half :)

they don't really fit the car though and they're old.. i wonder if they'll have optional rims? like the 17"s are standard on the current gti and the huffs (these) are optional...

Offline BernardP

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 08:06:29 am »
Speaking of the R32, it can now be legally imported from the US to Canada. Here it is at Brantford VW:

http://forums.generationdub.com/showthread.php?t=24550

Here is the regulatory story:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3917735&page=1

Too bad the R32 is discontinued for the 2009 MY