Author Topic: Help me choose a laptop (Lenovo Ideapad Y710? Other suggestions?)  (Read 25119 times)

Mitlov

Re: Help me choose a laptop (Lenovo Ideapad Y710? Other suggestions?)
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 01:10:09 pm »
I'm seriously considering an IdeaPad Y710 to replace my Powerbook G4.  The novelty of the Apple operating system has worn off, it hasn't been any less buggy than my previous PC laptops (despite the Apple fanboy promises of perfect reliability), I miss gaming (particularly flight sims), and perhaps most importantly, Westlaw (an online legal research website) doesn't run 100% properly on any Apple browser.  Maybe that's Westlaw's fault, not Apple's, but it's still a headache for me.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 02:13:04 pm »
The new OS comes standard with Boot Camp, so you can install Windows and play all the games you like.

I'm surprised your site doesn't run on Safari, though.  It was one of the first (and still one of not many) browsers to get perfect on the Acid3 test...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 04:58:59 pm »
Sue them.  :)

SkiBunny

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 05:23:36 pm »
Thinkpads are not what they used to be in terms of quality (or price, haha).

I agree with those who suggest to avoid the Lenovo consumer-oriented laptops.  Lenovo actually discontinued some of those.

The visaperks.ca is a good site in Canada at which to buy a thinkpad.  Besides getting reasonable pricing, you can return in within 30 days if you don't like it, even if opened and used.

Mitlov

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 05:42:48 pm »
Thinkpads are not what they used to be in terms of quality (or price, haha).

I agree with those who suggest to avoid the Lenovo consumer-oriented laptops.  Lenovo actually discontinued some of those.

The visaperks.ca is a good site in Canada at which to buy a thinkpad.  Besides getting reasonable pricing, you can return in within 30 days if you don't like it, even if opened and used.

In case you haven't picked up yet, after returning my Lenovo, I'm about as likely to buy another Lenovo as rrocket is likely to buy another Oldsmobile.  Once burned, twice shy...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 07:46:20 pm »
Odd. My dearly departed T60 (stolen) was a rock.

Lenovo even shipped me a new battery to replace my old one that died (free), and replaced the entire screen once due to it me somehow managing to get my hair behind the panel. (wtf?) And of course they paid overnight shipping etc.

Guess the consumer line is nothing special.

Using a Macbook (Core 2 Duo) right now and I hate it utterly.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Mitlov

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 08:54:40 pm »

I've never been impressed with the inexpensive Apple laptops (iBooks, now MacBooks).  But I really like their higher-end models (PowerBooks, now MacBook Pros).

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 09:12:30 pm »
macbook pro, best laptop I ever owned.

Co-worker of mine has a Dell with similar specs he paid less for, he doesn't get it though, the entire package of the macbook pro is so much nicer, thinner lighter, better feel.  Porsche/ferrari  of the laptop world ;)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 09:21:15 pm »

Send in my way.  I'll even send you a thank you card.  :)

I've never been impressed with the inexpensive Apple laptops (iBooks, now MacBooks).  But I really like their higher-end models (PowerBooks, now MacBook Pros).

The MacBook and MacBook Pro are pretty much the same machine under the hood.  All the Pro offers is larger screen size and dedicated graphics.

I've had my first-Gen MacBook for just over two years, and it's a fantastic machine.  :)

Mitlov

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 09:28:39 pm »
The MacBook and MacBook Pro are pretty much the same machine under the hood.  All the Pro offers is larger screen size and dedicated graphics.

I've had my first-Gen MacBook for just over two years, and it's a fantastic machine.  :)

At least back in the iBook/Powerbook days, the iBook had a far inferior keyboard.  The keys were very mushy.  I'm a bit of a keyboard snob, admittedly, but that alone made my Powerbook G4 (what I'm using right now) worth the extra cost.  Does the MacBook have the same keyboard as a MacBook Pro now?

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2008, 10:35:07 pm »
You know, I'm not sure.  I love the keyboard on my MacBook, though.  The new aluminum keyboard that ships with new iMacs is virtually the same as the keyboard on the MacBook, if you're familiar with that one.  I do know the MDP's keyboard is backlit, which is a feature I wish my MB had.

IMO the only reasons to buy the MBP is screen size and the dedicated graphics (i.e. if you're doing photo/video work).  When I bought my MacBook two years ago, it actually had a faster processor than the low-range Pro, which was about $500 more.  I also like the form factor of the MacBook, but I have a large external display for when I'm at home.  :)

UmroAyyar

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2008, 10:40:10 pm »
Playing games, better graphics capability, screen real estate is an important factor, typing is great on Macbook Pro. If you use the computer in a dimly lit area, the backlit keyboard is an absolute gem, good for typing too.

Macbook Pro is a no contest laptop of choice if money is not the primary deciding factor.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 12:15:23 am »
The keyboard / touchpad on the macbook is by far my biggest gripe.

The T60 was great on both accounts. Even had properly set up home/end/pgup etc. keys, everything was the right size, etc....
*sniff* RIP :(

SkiBunny

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 12:13:27 pm »

In case you haven't picked up yet, after returning my Lenovo, I'm about as likely to buy another Lenovo as rrocket is likely to buy another Oldsmobile.  Once burned, twice shy...
Comparing that ideapad to a thinkpad is like comparing a datsun to an infiniti.  Speaking of "getting burned", MBP is infamous for overheating. Good for frying eggs on.  I moderate a well known laptop forum.  I suggest you research some more before parting with your hard-earned cash too quickly.

Mitlov

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2008, 04:59:52 pm »

Comparing that ideapad to a thinkpad is like comparing a datsun to an infiniti.  Speaking of "getting burned", MBP is infamous for overheating. Good for frying eggs on.  I moderate a well known laptop forum.  I suggest you research some more before parting with your hard-earned cash too quickly.

Go ahead and compare a Datsun to an Infiniti.  Do you think that someone who bought a Ford lemon would run out and spend a lot more money to get a Lincoln?  Do you think that someone who bought a Toyota lemon would go out and spend a lot more money to get a Lexus?

Regardless, I don't want a ThinkPad.  I'd still have to have Vista, which I have determined that I loathe, and you can't get a decent video card in one at a decent price.  They're great for business uses, but they were never intended as personal-use multimedia laptops.

As for heat, the MBPs are actually better in that regard than my PowerBook G4.  The PowerBooks were REALLY infamous for it.  I do wish mine has had better cooling, but it hasn't caused me any real problems the way I use it.

SkiBunny

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 05:59:14 pm »
Actually my Toyota Supra was a real lemon, the worst car I ever owned.  But based on various reliability & support data, I'd probably consider another toyota (I almost bought a new RAV4 except the antenna on the '09 model gets in the way of my roof toys).  However, many years have passed since my terrible Toyota experience.  Time heals.

By the way, just for the record, in fact you can still order a new thinkpad with windows xp instead of vista.  You can get linux too on a thinkpad and thereby save a bundle.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2008, 06:41:46 pm »
As for heat, the MBPs are actually better in that regard than my PowerBook G4.  The PowerBooks were REALLY infamous for it.  I do wish mine has had better cooling, but it hasn't caused me any real problems the way I use it.

It's a good thing they never made that G5 portable, then.  :D  The MacBook/MacBook Pro do run very hot (and I wish Apple would do something about it, since hot-running computer = loud fans!), but it's perfectly manageable...

Mitlov

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 06:46:12 pm »
Actually my Toyota Supra was a real lemon, the worst car I ever owned.  But based on various reliability & support data, I'd probably consider another toyota (I almost bought a new RAV4 except the antenna on the '09 model gets in the way of my roof toys).  However, many years have passed since my terrible Toyota experience.  Time heals.

But I'm not in a situation where "many years have passed."  I'm still fighting Lenovo to get my money back on the lemon they shipped me two weeks ago.  Try putting yourself in my shoes.  Would you really go and buy another Lenovo this soon after being shipped a lemon and then treated like crap by their customer service?

On the other hand, I've owned three Apples and loved all of them.  I bought a Lenovo a couple weeks ago, not because I hated OSX (which I actually really like), but largely because I wanted to try to save money.  I'm now losing hundreds of dollars in "restocking fees."

If you were in my shoes, would you really buy another Lenovo as the replacement for the lemon, or would you get an Apple?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 06:49:16 pm by Mitlov »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2008, 09:43:54 pm »
The case is retarded. Why do they have to restock anything? Take back the wrong item and let the customer choose btw a full refund or another Lap. I suppose there should be some 30 days satisfaction guarantee  ???

.. or sue them, dammit!  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2008, 09:54:16 pm »
The case is retarded. Why do they have to restock anything? Take back the wrong item and let the customer choose btw a full refund or another Lap. I suppose there should be some 30 days satisfaction guarantee  ???

.. or sue them, dammit!  ;D

Well thats how the vendors operate, most of them, different type of service for business users and consumers.

If money isn't a big consideration, its almost impossible to pass Macbook Pro and buy something else, you get the best of both worlds.