Author Topic: Help me choose a laptop (Lenovo Ideapad Y710? Other suggestions?)  (Read 25102 times)

Mitlov

Help me choose a laptop (Lenovo Ideapad Y710? Other suggestions?)
« on: September 19, 2008, 03:37:24 am »
I'm seriously considering an IdeaPad Y710 to replace my Powerbook G4.  The novelty of the Apple operating system has worn off, it hasn't been any less buggy than my previous PC laptops (despite the Apple fanboy promises of perfect reliability), I miss gaming (particularly flight sims), and perhaps most importantly, Westlaw (an online legal research website) doesn't run 100% properly on any Apple browser.  Maybe that's Westlaw's fault, not Apple's, but it's still a headache for me.

The Lenovo Ideapad Y710 looks great.  For about US$1300, I can get a 17" screen, high-quality speakers (including a subwoofer), a real-size keyboard, 4 gigabytes of ram, 250 gigabyte hard drive, and some other stuff.  The one in the middle column is the one I'm thinking of: CLICK HERE.

My question is this.  I know that the Lenovo Thinkpad laptops were known for their reliability.  Does anyone know if the IdeaPads live up to this?  Anyone have any first-hand experience with them and want to comment?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 02:23:11 pm by Mitlov »

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
Re: Anyone out there got a Lenovo Ideapad?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 08:22:16 am »
Try to get something with Centrino 2 (Montevina Platform), they offer more power than the older Centrino and uses less energy. I got a Sager NP2096 with a P8600 CPU (2.4Ghz), 4GB of DDR2 800, 160GB 7200RPM HD, bluetooth, Intel 5100 AGN WIFI, fingerprint reader, 9 cells battery, etc: http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=91133

"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

dorin

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 11:07:03 am »
I much prefer the ThinkPad line to the IdeaPad line.  Do you need a 17" beast and if so why?  I'm wondering because if screen resolution is a reason then you can get a 15.4" ThinkPad with a 1600x1050 screen.  You can also get a 15.4" Dell Vostro with a 1920x1200 screen, but the ThinkPad is killer in terms of build quality.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 11:26:28 am »
The idealpad is not build the same as the Thinkpad. 17" does lose its portability compare to a 15.4" model. You can hook up a 22" external monitor, and run dual screen desktop.

Mitlov

Help me choose a laptop (Lenovo Ideapad Y710? Other suggestions?)
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 02:22:36 pm »
Let me explain more about how I use the laptop, which may help people make suggestions, Lenovo or otherwise (I'm open-minded).

*  The single most common thing the computer does is play TV shows off of iTunes.  My kid has sensory processing disorder, and the occupational therapist suggested, and we agree, that mealtime is a LOT less traumatic and more successful if he is distracted.  (And before someone suggests that we're lazy parents who should read him books, he gets dozens a day, but TV shows like The Backyardigans and Thomas the Train work better at mealtime).  In addition, my wife and I have subscriptions to a couple of our favorite shows on iTunes.  This is why the large screen and excellent speakers of the Lenovo Ideapad Y710 appealed to me.

*  Mobility is not a problem.  We need a laptop so we can move it around the house (living room, dining room, bedroom, etc), but it essentially never leaves the house.  Thus, a couple extra pounds or inches doesn't bother us, so the Lenovo's eight-pound curb weight isn't a turn-off.

*  The second most common use of the computer after iTunes is word processing (some of it for my work, some of it just forums and email and the like).  Thus, a big keyboard with good keys is essential.  I hate the low-travel, mushy keyboards of lightweight laptops.

*  Finally, I want a laptop that I can play games on (namely, the flight simulator IL-2 Sturmovik and its sequels, and Starcraft II).  This is another reason I'm looking at multimedia/gaming laptops instead of lighter weight and (sometimes) cheaper general-use laptops.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 02:28:01 pm by Mitlov »

Mitlov

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 04:02:48 pm »
Try to get something with Centrino 2 (Montevina Platform), they offer more power than the older Centrino and uses less energy. I got a Sager NP2096 with a P8600 CPU (2.4Ghz), 4GB of DDR2 800, 160GB 7200RPM HD, bluetooth, Intel 5100 AGN WIFI, fingerprint reader, 9 cells battery, etc: http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=91133

The computer I'm looking at has the following processor:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8100 NV ( 2.10GHz 800MHz 3MB )

Can you explain how this compares to the Centrino 2s you're talking about?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Help me choose a laptop (Lenovo Ideapad Y710? Other suggestions?)
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 04:12:28 pm »
I havent bought one for long time (have a very reliable ASUS) but from what I gather if you fly "sHturmoviks" and other kick ass things you need a dedicated video for it, like an ATI or Nvidia, other wise the frame rate is gonna be rubbish. There must be some laptop comparisons in gamer mags, or you can simply google.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Mitlov

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 05:10:52 pm »
"sHturmoviks"

In all fairness, the Russian software company that makes the game spells it without the H, though I know it's sometimes transliterated with an H.

you need a dedicated video for it, like an ATI or Nvidia, other wise the frame rate is gonna be rubbish.

The video card on the Ideapad Y710 I'm looking at is a "ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 512MB."  I don't really know my video cards, but I'm guessing that's more than adequate for a 3-4 year old flight sim?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 06:42:40 pm »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2030260032%20103980232&bop=And&Order=RATING

here is a good comparison of 17" books, sorted by rating. The site is useful as they have actual user reviews, not just somebody's magazine article. So it all depends on your pocket and needs.
Any dedicated video should be good for a 3-4 y.o. game.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 07:23:45 pm »
Specs wise, the machine is ok. If possible try out the keyboard at some store, keyboard typing feel is quite important for people. If its close to Thinkpad's keyboard, brilliant. I have the same processor in my Thinkpad, good enough for your needs. Its very well equipped.

This is Lenovo's consumer market laptop, won't have spill resistant keyboard (Thinkpad's have drain holes through their metal chassis inside to channel water away from the system, it works, my son tested it :D ) and 3 year warranty is standard on Thinkpads.

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 07:34:22 pm »
If possible try out the keyboard at some store, keyboard typing feel is quite important for people. If its close to Thinkpad's keyboard, brilliant.

This review says:

Fans of the ThinkPad keyboard will be pleased to find that Lenovo included a similar setup; the matte keys have an excellent, cushioned response, and the full-size layout feels spacious and comfortable.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-y510.aspx

I'll try to find a store to try it in person, but Southern Oregon isn't really an electronics Mecca.

This is Lenovo's consumer market laptop, won't have spill resistant keyboard (Thinkpad's have drain holes through their metal chassis inside to channel water away from the system, it works, my son tested it :D ) and 3 year warranty is standard on Thinkpads.

Do most consumer-market laptops have spill resistant keyboards, or is that something specific to Thinkpads and/or business-market laptops?

UmroAyyar

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 08:06:15 pm »
There are spill resistant and spill proof keyboards. Thinkpad's design is spill proof. Its not a very common future on consumer market laptops.

Its not a big deal as long as it gets powered off and drained as quickly as possible. My wife's Toshiba had a full glass of water, powered off, drained, was infront of the fan overnight and it booted up fine in the morning.

The rest seems impressive with this laptop at this price point.

Mitlov

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 10:48:45 pm »

I just pieced together that the Y710 (currently on sale, like the one I linked to, above) has the older Centrino processor, and the Y730 (which is in the process of debuting) has Centrino 2.  I'll do some reading up to see if spending extra for the Centrino 2 makes sense for me, but it sounds like it might.

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 09:00:23 am »

I just pieced together that the Y710 (currently on sale, like the one I linked to, above) has the older Centrino processor, and the Y730 (which is in the process of debuting) has Centrino 2.  I'll do some reading up to see if spending extra for the Centrino 2 makes sense for me, but it sounds like it might.

I guess it makes sense, it uses less power, the Montevina platform offers the new Wi-Fi card models (5100 or 5300) which are faster than the older ones and a lot of other things. If it's the same price, take the newer.

Mitlov

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 02:16:27 am »
Thanks everyone for all the help.  I ended up getting the Y710 I linked to in the original post.  Sure, it's Santa Rosa generation Intel Processor, not Montevina, but:

(1) There was a $300 difference in price (25%) between similarly-specced Santa Rosa and Montevina-processed models, due to a sale on the Santa Rosa generation;

(2)  The Santa Rosa processors are only a year old...hardly ancient technology;

(3)  The Santa Rosas are proven reliable, whereas the Montevinas are still very new, and their release was delayed because of reliability issues.

With a three-year warranty that covers both mechanical failures and accidental spills and tumbles, and provides for in-home service (no mailing) if they can't fix the problem over the phone, it came to US$1,670.  I'll have it by the end of the week, and I'll post a review then.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 05:45:16 am »
The unboxing pics are required. :D

Mitlov

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 11:30:21 am »
Well, after two weeks, I'm sending this sucker back.  Lenovo sent a crap product, and their way of dealing with the situation has gotten a big fat F from me.  I'm heading back to Apples.

A little red flag raised in my head when the machine came in the wrong case.  Not that I mind having my Y710 be in a blue Y730 case instead of a satin black Y710 case, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence in their quality control.

The next thing I realized was that it had the wrong hard drive.  It was supposed to have one 250 GB hard drive and one empty slot for another hot-swappable drive.  In fact, it came with a 180 GB hard drive and a second 30 GB hard drive in the hot-swappable slot.  Since I had been planning on putting in a second hard drive, the difference between a 250 GB main drive and a 180 GB main drive is a big deal, certainly not made up for by the 30 GB second drive.

Then the DVD-ROM drive problems began.  The door wouldn't open and the tray wouldn't spit out half the time.  You could hear it trying to open up, but some catch somewhere wouldn't release.  Sometimes, I'd just have to try a few times to make it release.  Occasionally, I would have to reboot.  This has probably happened a dozen times in two weeks.

Then the video problems began.  First, it would randomly change screen resolutions on me.  Then, last night, it would just display snow for a second or so, but then it would recover and tell me that the video driver had failed but had recovered.

So what did Lenovo do in response?  So far, they're only willing to take back the machine in return for a 15% restocking fee.  As for the hard drive, DVD-ROM, and screen problems, they apparently don't think that that's bad enough to reduce the restocking fee, and they want a chance to "fix it."  Fix the hard drive?  It's the wrong hard drive!  If you ordered a Mazda3 2.3 and got a Mazda3 2.0, would you need to "give the mechanic a chance to fix it" before returning it as nonconforming?  (I understand their point on the DVD-ROM and video problems, though). 

And to add insult to injury, they're not just making me pay a 15% restocking fee on my computer, they're making me pay a 15% restocking fee on the extended warranty I had purchased.  Come on, a-holes, you don't have to inspect and restock an extended warranty.  It's only a $30 difference, not worth spending hours fighting about, but it's a slap in the face.

PS--Vista is awful.  Just dreadful.  Not only is it positively medieval compared to OSX, but it's a definite step backward from Windows XP (not to mention a resource hog).

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 11:56:00 am »
Apple is releasing new Notebooks on Tuesday.  There are some current-gen 15" MacBook Pros on the refurb section of Apple.com for $1699, too.

Mitlov

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 12:34:22 pm »
Apple is releasing new Notebooks on Tuesday.  There are some current-gen 15" MacBook Pros on the refurb section of Apple.com for $1699, too.

Thanks!  I'll probably wait until Tuesday, then, and get a next-gen base MacBookPro with the all the RAM and hard drive upgrades it'll take. 

UmroAyyar

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 12:47:45 pm »
 :o Thats a dreadful experience, something like that would put me off the brand completely.

Personally, I would only buy Thinkpad line from Lenovo, not their own consumer products, entirely different components. Much prefer Toshiba in that area.