Author Topic: Flappy Paddle Gear Shift  (Read 5149 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Flappy Paddle Gear Shift
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:53:21 pm »
JB you're probably best placed to answer this but, if you have a paddle on the left and right behind the steering wheel that shift up and down (a CVT/auto/manual doesn't matter) a cog, what is the best positioning:

Attached to the steering wheel so they go around with it when you turn?

or

Fixed to the steering column so they stay where they are regardless of the steering wheel.

I drove a new outlander xls the other day that had a flappy paddle set up, and found I couldn't change gear when going round a corner, which was a real pain  when turning left in first gear!  I think they were fixed to the steering wheel, can't remember?

And which way is the Evo set up?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Flappy Paddle Gear Shift
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:06:30 pm »
I believe fixed to the column is the preferred way, the GT-R and EVO are both on the column if I remember correctly (GT-R for sure).  I keep my hands at 9-3 though almost 100% of the time so for me I like them on the wheel as I turn my hands are still there where the shifter is.  But if you get all crossed up on the wheel that could get confusing since it won't be obvious anymore and the angle where the paddle is is no longer straight.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 11:13:31 pm »
I believe fixed to the column is the preferred way, the GT-R and EVO are both on the column if I remember correctly (GT-R for sure).  I keep my hands at 9-3 though almost 100% of the time so for me I like them on the wheel as I turn my hands are still there where the shifter is.  But if you get all crossed up on the wheel that could get confusing since it won't be obvious anymore and the angle where the paddle is is no longer straight.

That's it though, when you're taking a 90 degree left you can't keep your hands like that easily, I had to actually look at the wheel to find the bleeding shifter!  At least on the column you know exactly where to find them if you are turning the wheel a lot, especially if sliding/drifting.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 11:20:40 pm »
Honestly...if you're talking the EVO with that tranny...the transmission is so intelligent, so brilliant that most racers got around the track a touch quicker with the tranny in auto mode.  Hard to believe, yes.  Even the legendary Drift King said the car's transmission was beyond amazing...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 05:36:48 am »
My GTi has them on the wheel  WRONG!   They should be on the column.. I have just the same problem, accelerating from rest around a corner can't find a paddle to change up from 1st.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 06:18:29 am »
Paddle shifts work best with an aggressive the rack and pinion ratio on the steering. IMO They were never intended for street use and daily driving situations when you have to turn the steering wheel >90 deg.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 06:41:16 am »
I would go for far more aggressive steering, maybe 2 turns lock to lock (rather than 3+)  would be tight yet allow a bit of sneeze capability.
Funny that none of the "tuners"  make high ration power steering racks as part of their packages.  I suppose that they would be rather expensive and also quite difficult for the home mechanic to install.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 06:42:52 am by tpl »

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 07:36:23 pm »
They seem to be fine on my USB Logitech steering wheel.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 10:06:43 pm »
Paddle shifts work best with an aggressive the rack and pinion ratio on the steering. IMO They were never intended for street use and daily driving situations when you have to turn the steering wheel >90 deg.
:iagree: Any sharp turns in 1st are a real pain in the ass with wheel mounted paddles. Column mounted wins!