Author Topic: Consumer Reports  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Consumer Reports
« on: September 15, 2008, 08:52:44 pm »
OMG, it's the crappest thing I've ever read!

These were the low points of...

Elise: driving position, noise, no ESC.  :rofl2: :rofl2:
Dodge Viper: ride, noise, access, no ESC  :rofl: :rofl:
BMW 650i: frustrating iDrive, cup holder design  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Lexus LS 460L: Lack of agility  :stfu:

Christly almighty, who writes this thing?!?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: Consumer Reports
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:09:34 pm »
People who test toasters and hair dryers, that's who... ;D

That said, and while their car reviews are poor IMO, their Reliability Histories are the best that can be had. That is only part of CR that I read and believe in.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:11:53 pm »
Bob, does Motoring Which? still exist?     What does it say about cars thee and me might like ?

Consumer Reports in the 70's was even funnier... back in the days when "full size cars" still roamed the earth.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Tbirder97

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »
Obviously, they're not car enthusiasts.
I remember when they did a review of the 'new' Mustang. They claimed it was a "harsh ride" due to a "stiff suspension" and a "noisy exhaust".

What did they think they were comparing it to....a Crown Vic? A 'Stang is not a family car.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:30:19 pm »
Yep, I ignore their reviews but use them for reliability info.

Come to think of it I generally ignore most reviews. I'm perfectly capable of determining if a car's ride is harsh or too soft, or if the interior looks cheap. If it makes me happy, why should I care what others may think?
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 09:33:21 pm »
Yea, but even the car mags are guilty of this.  When testing a full blown luxury car, they will fault it because it doesn't "handle" or because the suspension is "soft".  Well WTF did the expect?  It's a luxury car!!  A 4500 lb. luco-barge will not handle like a sport sedan...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 10:14:51 pm »
 :iagree: I also love it when they tell me an SUV has a "car like ride". Well no, it doesn't, unless the car is a 1929 Ford. Bouncy, tippy, leaning all over the place etc...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:57:23 pm »
Even CR's reliability reports were and maybe they still are flawed in some cases. Remember the embarrassment last year when they were rating a number of new Toyota models (Tundra, Camry V6) high on reliability while they were having issues? They came back later and stated that they will stop giving new, redesigned models high ratings based on the previous models reliability.
I'm not sure if they are still standing by that pledge though.

As for the car magazines reviews, CR included,  they are just an entertaining read…
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:52:39 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 01:31:15 pm »
Yea, but even the car mags are guilty of this.  When testing a full blown luxury car, they will fault it because it doesn't "handle" or because the suspension is "soft".  Well WTF did the expect?  It's a luxury car!!  A 4500 lb. luco-barge will not handle like a sport sedan...

Right. It irks me no end to read that a family car doesn't have 'sporty' suspension. As if said car was ever going to be driven on a track.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 01:48:19 pm »
Consumer Reports is an excellent tool to get an overall flavour and impression about a product.

If you are a car enthusiast, you'll find the car reports lacking in detail.
If you are an audiophile, you'll find their sound equipment reports lacking in detail.
If you are a computer geek, you'll find their computer reports lacking in detail.
If you are a tabletop blender/food processor geek, you'll find their blender tests lacking in detail.

But they are a very useful tool nonetheless.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 04:23:02 pm »
..."useful tool"...................
Time is to stop everything happening at once