Author Topic: Canadian Driver News Story on Cellphone use while driving - some sense at last  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
Maybe I’m no longer a lone voice in the wilderness. 

In a News story posted on this site today (“Study shows cell phone use increases collision risk,” September 15, 2008) the Ontario Medical Association released a study that finds “speaking on a cell phone significantly increases the risk of collision.”  Do I believe that?  Yes, I do.  It makes sense. 

But note, however, that the study is at odds with what has actually been created into law.  So what is the law in some provinces?  (Rather than dig through hundreds of pages of legislation for several jurisdictions I’ll just rely on the CBC.  Yes, I’m lazy…

- Newfoundland and Labrador:  “It's the first province to institute a cellphone ban for drivers. Drivers can still use their phones if they are parked in a safe area — or are using a hands-free unit.” (CBC – April 22, 2003)

- Nova Scotia:  “The Nova Scotia government introduced a sweeping road safety bill on Friday that would outlaw the use of hand-held cellphones while driving…” (CBC November 23, 2007)

- Quebec: “Quebec is set to ban the use of handheld cellphones in cars and trucks…” (CBC July 5, 2007)

So what’s my point?  In my opinion using a cell phone while driving consists of at least two separate and distinct actions – 1) holding an inanimate object to your head and driving with one hand, and 2) engaging in a conversation.  The legislation in the three above provinces addresses only the first issue, and leaves the second issue alone.  In my opinion, driving with one hand while holding an object up to your head probably doesn’t make you too much of a menace.  Engaging in a detailed conversation, regardless of where both your hands are, probably does create some safety issues. 

And it appears that the Ontario Medical Association gets that too: the act of speaking – the conversation – is the part that causes the problem.  Politicians on the other hand, attack the easiest part of the issue and don’t really solve the problem. 

As for pulling off the road to use a phone, while that is obviously safer I’ve been in two close-call situations where just that came close to causing a traffic accident.  In one case a person pulled over to the shoulder of a two-lane highway to use the phone.  The only problem was that it was just after a major winter storm and there were no shoulders so she just pulled over as far as she could and stopped, blocking half the lane.  The other was a fellow who must have been expecting an important call as he drove along in the left lane.  When that call came he piled on the brakes and dove for the right shoulder causing brake lights to come on all around him. 

Call me an optimist, but there has to be a better solution to the choices made in Nfld., N.S. and Quebec. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
FARS accident reporting system in the USA (where they actually keep stats on root causes of accidents) shows cell phone use is no more dangerous/as dangerous as talking to a passenger, eating, or fiddling with the radio while driving.

So we probably should ban drive thus, radios and make car single occupant vehicles....you know...just to make things safer....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Also no kids in the car

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
FARS only keeps data on crashes involving deaths.  Citing it is hardly enough evidence to say that cell-phone use while driving is safe...  Not to mention I can't actually find any data on cell phones and crashes on their website.

Link please.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
As I pointed out before, NHTSA, the collector of the FARS data, have stated that the contribution of cell phones to accidents is under-reported due to the limitations of the police reporting systems. Only two states even attempted to determine use of cell phones as contributing factors.

Pretty much every organization that has looked into cell phone use has come to the same conclusion: driving while talking on cell phones is dangerous.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:28:27 pm by Big_Thumb »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
^^But no more so than any other "distracting" activities in a car.  (talking to passengers, eating, fiddling with radio/GPS, etc...)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Somehow, this comes to mind...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
Actually, it is and they've said as much.

Passengers are aware of what's going on in the car, so react to dangerous conditions.

Fiddling with the radio or other controls is as distracting, but they found that the amount of time people "fiddle" is so much less, it doesn't contribute nearly as much as cell phone use to collisions.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
Somehow, this comes to mind...

Donkey punch? :o

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I just checked at FARS, and the database is COMPLETELY different now.  There used to be roughly 200 causes of accidents.  And not it's not like that.  It's much, much, much less accurate than before.  I mean...you could break it up by any numbers of ways...weather, road conditions, vehicle condition, traffic condition, additional causes (cell phones, etc..).  And it's very "dummied" down now.  I'll have to see if I can find the old, super-detailed one...  

Bummer...the old one was VERY, very good.  This new one?  Not so much....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Driver News Story on Cellphone use while driving - some sense at la
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 07:29:22 pm »

Donkey punch? :o

Heheheh...sweetness.  If anyone likes the donkey punch, it would be Brigitte...:)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Actually, it is and they've said as much.

Passengers are aware of what's going on in the car, so react to dangerous conditions.

Fiddling with the radio or other controls is as distracting, but they found that the amount of time people "fiddle" is so much less, it doesn't contribute nearly as much as cell phone use to collisions.

Exactly I agree
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: Canadian Driver News Story on Cellphone use while driving - some sense at la
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 07:56:55 pm »
Heheheh...sweetness.  If anyone likes the donkey punch, it would be Brigitte...:)

Always a ray of sunshine, aren't you?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Well..I disagree.  I think it's too much of a blanket excuse.  Would I want some people I know talking on the cell phone while driving? NO! (not sure I even like them driving, let alone while on a cell phone).  Just like would I feel comfortable with just anyone driving my 600HP Supra? NO!!  But there are some who have..includng people on this board. Whereas others (myself included) it doesn't distract me in the least.  I mean, c'mon, at any given time, there are millions (IIRC the figure was between 1-2 million in the USA) people on cell phone driving at any given time.  I just don't think it's that dangerous.

How do you police it though?  Ban everyone.  Punish everyone.  

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 08:00:32 pm »

Always a ray of sunshine, aren't you?

I know you love me!   ;D

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
You mean like the guy talking on his phone and kept drifting in and out of his lane next to me the other day.   He didn't collide with me and die.  So it must be safe.  :)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Those that deny that the use of cell phones when driving is not detracting from the driving remind me of those who used to deny that cigarette smoking caused cancer. That was a popular trend in the '50s when Camel cigs even had an advert claiming that the majority of MEDICAL DOCTORS preferred to smoke Camels over other brands.

Same twisted logic IMO.  ::) ::)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
You mean like the guy talking on his phone and kept drifting in and out of his lane next to me the other day.   He didn't collide with me and die.  So it must be safe.  :)

You mean like the hundreds of people I drive beside everyday who DON'T drift into my lane?

You're right...it MUST be safe.... ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Those that deny that the use of cell phones when driving is not detracting from the driving remind me of those who used to deny that cigarette smoking caused cancer. That was a popular trend in the '50s when Camel cigs even had an advert claiming that the majority of MEDICAL DOCTORS preferred to smoke Camels over other brands.

:iagree:

I’m not perfect and do answer my phone while driving depending who is calling and the traffic around me. But I will not deny that is does not affect my concentration level.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire

:iagree: 100%

I also agree that kids/conversation etc can be distracting, but cell use is easily controlled, turn it off, one less distraction, one less fatality...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...