Author Topic: New Immigrant Insurance  (Read 17697 times)

vdk

Re: New Immigrant Insurance
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 03:32:28 pm »
That Autograph thing sounds horrible!

Sounds horrible why?  If you're just commuting or using the car a few times a week it makes sense.  It you're driving like you are qualifying for the Indy 500, it might not be such a good idea...since I'd assume it has some sort of GPS dealio in it....but something that saves $800 year can't be all that bad for some people...

Slippery slope and all that.  Once it's accepted by a few early adopters it won't be long before something like that becomes mandatory for everyone.  "What?  You don't want us to track your movements?  Sorry, but we're not interested in insuring you at all then.  And good luck finding affordable insurance from any of our equally-greedy competitors either."

Seriously, having my insurance company track when and where I drive my car is just one small step removed from hell.  I would hope that such stuff would be illegal.  :nono:

It's your choice if you want to submit that information or not. If you don't your insurance won't drop, if you do... you'll get at least 5% off every 6 months. They also say you're insurance will never increase and that the information will not be used against you.
And there's no GPS on that little thing, it records your speed from the ECU, but I do think it has its on timer/clock.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 08:09:45 pm »

Sounds horrible why?  If you're just commuting or using the car a few times a week it makes sense.  It you're driving like you are qualifying for the Indy 500, it might not be such a good idea...since I'd assume it has some sort of GPS dealio in it....but something that saves $800 year can't be all that bad for some people...

Slippery slope and all that.  Once it's accepted by a few early adopters it won't be long before something like that becomes mandatory for everyone.  "What?  You don't want us to track your movements?  Sorry, but we're not interested in insuring you at all then.  And good luck finding affordable insurance from any of our equally-greedy competitors either."

Seriously, having my insurance company track when and where I drive my car is just one small step removed from hell.  I would hope that such stuff would be illegal.  :nono:

It's your choice if you want to submit that information or not. If you don't your insurance won't drop, if you do... you'll get at least 5% off every 6 months. They also say you're insurance will never increase and that the information will not be used against you.
And there's no GPS on that little thing, it records your speed from the ECU, but I do think it has its on timer/clock.

I'd never have anything in the car that recorded anything.  Insurance companies look for any little thing not to pay out, and ECU/GPS tracking would be the first place so they could say, "ooh you were 10kph over the limit, that means you were driving illegally and therefore not covered..."

Anyway, an update.  I got some quotes near the $3.5K mark which were a bit of a shock, then tried TD who have a deal through work.  I gave them my UK history which they have taken into account (and I think there is also an employee discount deal with my employer) and came back with a quote of circa $1800!  Result!  It's still high but will come down in time.

Much happier with that quote, and thanks for all the advice everyone, the forum wins again!!

:cheers: :cheers: :banana: :banana: :banana: :hello: :hello: :skid: :drive: :banana: :banana:

Haven't got the car yet, will let you know on that front...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 08:13:10 pm »
Believe it or not Bob that's not THAT high ... at least from what I hear about insurance in the GTA

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 08:30:28 pm »
$1800 is pretty low for around here.    Did you take driving lessons?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 08:55:50 pm »
Believe it or not Bob that's not THAT high ... at least from what I hear about insurance in the GTA
Yeah that's what I thought too, I remember a thread on here about insurance and think people were posting between $1K-$2K, I'm quite pleased with that quote.

No driving lessons Spock, I was sort of thrown into the thick of it when I had to pick up a hire car and drive around looking for a house for the last 3 weeks, sort of learnt on the job as it were... A few scary moments but nothing too serious.

von_khan

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 12:39:49 pm »

I'd never have anything in the car that recorded anything.  Insurance companies look for any little thing not to pay out, and ECU/GPS tracking would be the first place so they could say, "ooh you were 10kph over the limit, that means you were driving illegally and therefore not covered..."

Anyway, an update.  I got some quotes near the $3.5K mark which were a bit of a shock, then tried TD who have a deal through work.  I gave them my UK history which they have taken into account (and I think there is also an employee discount deal with my employer) and came back with a quote of circa $1800!  Result!  It's still high but will come down in time.

Much happier with that quote, and thanks for all the advice everyone, the forum wins again!!

:cheers: :cheers: :banana: :banana: :banana: :hello: :hello: :skid: :drive: :banana: :banana:

Haven't got the car yet, will let you know on that front...

Thats a great quote for someone new to the country. Im with TD, and even with my staff benefit I pay 2400 or so anually for this car.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 01:07:33 pm »
Zoinks that's a lot for you guys.  I'm paying less, glad I'm in ottawa.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 01:38:59 pm »
When I read the title of the thread, I thought perhaps someone was selling insurance to protect against the threat of new immigrants...

;D

Does your company have a group policy?  Many do now, but some don't insure new drivers.  Check into it...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 02:01:35 pm »
That is a good price - a co-worker of mine paid $8k/year on a Honda minivan his first year here after moving from China. (in Calgary a couple years back)

UmroAyyar

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 02:23:56 pm »
My wife and I started with a beginner's license and paid $2800/year in Toronto circa 2004. Its $2200 right now.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 03:04:42 pm »
When 16 was quoted over $4,500 for a Protegé or Golf. Wound up paying around $2,600 for the first year and wittled it down to $1,200 (upped to $1,000 deductible which is probably common now, also commuted less than 5 kms to work) last year.

I'd say that rate is pretty darned good.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!