Author Topic: New Immigrant Insurance  (Read 17696 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
New Immigrant Insurance
« on: September 12, 2008, 07:02:58 pm »
Just got a quote for car insurance... whoooaaaaahhhhhh.  :fall: :fall: :fall:

I've tried www.kanetix.ca , can anyone suggest any other firms/brokers that are known for lower quotes for people new to the country?

:)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

UmroAyyar

Re: New Immigrant Insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 07:05:24 pm »
There has to be a company which does business in the UK. They may accept some level of your driving record.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 07:19:06 pm »
I didn't read into it much. But I did find this page where they were talking about this.

http://www.canada-city.ca/canada-immigration/posting.php?messageid=20434

Wolfe

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:20:35 pm »
You can try getting some more quotes from www.insurancehotline.com  :-\

There has to be a company which does business in the UK. They may accept some level of your driving record.

Aviva is based in the UK and sells insurance here in Ontario through several different brand names. They might be worth a shot.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 08:56:12 pm »
Ontario is bad; when I moved back from out west I was treated like a criminal and had a hard time finding a good rate.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 09:14:55 pm »
Out of Curiosity what kind of estimates have you been given?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 09:23:26 pm »
Does the company you're working for have a group plan available?

Who were you insured with in the UK?   ( Had I but realised you were coming over so soon I would have advised you to insure with one of the Aviva group in the UK  for a year before coming here)

Be grateful you don't live in downtown Toronto
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Rusty Oldford

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:50:01 pm »
When we arrived here in 1980 I saw lots of foreign students driving.  I called the local University Students' Association and was referred to an insurance broker who found a company who recognized my no claims record from overseas.  That was quite some time ago and I can't remember who the company was. The agent was Enzo at Jeffery and Spence in Guelph. I just checked the 'phone book and he's still there.

Wolfe

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 10:32:31 pm »
Welcome to Ontario, home of the insurance mafia.

You don't want to ask about the deductible. ;) :rofl2:

Leviathan

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 02:04:21 am »
Welcome to Ontario, home of the insurance mafia.
You don't want to ask about the deductible. ;) :rofl2:
Fugeddaboutit...

barrie1

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 07:20:54 pm »
Bob I suggest calling Brokers as they have axcess to many different Insurance Companys and can shop around for you. You should be able to obtain a decent price from one of them but possibly on a used car at first for a while which will save you some money I would think for sure.  :)

vdk

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 07:29:51 pm »
Go with Aviva... get the Autograph thing.. I got a quote through CAA (give them a call too) and with Autograph (which is an ODB lil' thing that reads when and how much you drive your car) my insurance would be a whooping $800/yr less....  :o 

dorin

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 10:11:53 am »
That Autograph thing sounds horrible!

Cortina

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 03:56:11 pm »
Just got a quote for car insurance... whoooaaaaahhhhhh.  :fall: :fall: :fall:

I've tried www.kanetix.ca , can anyone suggest any other firms/brokers that are known for lower quotes for people new to the country?

:)

I got a letter from my UK insurance company and used that to get a lower Insurance.
l
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 04:19:43 pm by Cortina »

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 04:20:11 pm »
When I started driving State Farm gave me by far the lowest rate. With RBC now, but bundled with other insurances.

I second wondering what you're being quoted?
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 04:48:40 pm »
Try this company http://www.pcinsurance.ca/ROCEN/AI.asp?referid=copy
And get you previous insurance company to send you your history as proof.

Another company http://www.thedominion.ca/web/home.do

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 05:06:41 pm »

Sounds horrible why?  If you're just commuting or using the car a few times a week it makes sense.  It you're driving like you are qualifying for the Indy 500, it might not be such a good idea...since I'd assume it has some sort of GPS dealio in it....but something that saves $800 year can't be all that bad for some people...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

dorin

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 05:57:47 pm »

Sounds horrible why?  If you're just commuting or using the car a few times a week it makes sense.  It you're driving like you are qualifying for the Indy 500, it might not be such a good idea...since I'd assume it has some sort of GPS dealio in it....but something that saves $800 year can't be all that bad for some people...

Slippery slope and all that.  Once it's accepted by a few early adopters it won't be long before something like that becomes mandatory for everyone.  "What?  You don't want us to track your movements?  Sorry, but we're not interested in insuring you at all then.  And good luck finding affordable insurance from any of our equally-greedy competitors either."

Seriously, having my insurance company track when and where I drive my car is just one small step removed from hell.  I would hope that such stuff would be illegal.  :nono:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 05:59:27 pm »

Slippery slope and all that.  Once it's accepted by a few early adopters it won't be long before something like that becomes mandatory for everyone.  "What?  You don't want us to track your movements?  Sorry, but we're not interested in insuring you at all then.  And good luck finding affordable insurance from any of our equally-greedy competitors either."

Seriously, having my insurance company track when and where I drive my car is just one small step removed from hell.  I would hope that such stuff would be illegal.  :nono:

Excuse me sir, why was your car at the track? ;D

jbbadboy

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 07:54:48 pm »
Definitely get an experience letter from your previous insurer in the UK. It can't hurt.

Did the MTO give you a full G licence right away or do you have to get a G2?

It sounds like the insurers you received quotes from don't recognize your years of being a licenced driver out of the country. If all you can get are new driver rates then you may be better off getting a policy on a 6-month term as long as you will be recognized and rated for as a driver with your full experience upon renewal.

Good luck!