Author Topic: World Car Free Day  (Read 5112 times)

von_khan

Re: World Car Free Day
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 06:41:40 pm »
:iagree:

Did not need a car when I lived in Montreal.  Getting around by public transit was a piece of cake, and cheap.

Can I do the same in the western GTA?  Only if I want my commute to work to go from 20 minutes to two hours.   :shake:

Tell me about it. Mississauga and Brampton transit are a joke. Frequency is 30 mins or so. Only those that cant afford cars usually ride buses (with some exceptions).

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 08:04:40 pm »
Instead of world car free day...although its a good idea...people need to think about their car usage.  I drive when I have to.  Which unfortunately is all too often as public transport is virtually non-existant in my area but when its possible and practical I'll walk.

But maybe more important...I do simple things like not making unnecessary trips.  We go grocery shopping when we have to, plan ahead to get several jobs done at once, and minimize the distance of the trip.

A few people in the neighborhood seem to drive in and out 9 or 10 times a day.  I'd love to know why.

As an automotive enthusiast there is no such thing an unnecessary trip. On a nice day I take the long way

vdk

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 12:42:03 am »
Instead of world car free day...although its a good idea...people need to think about their car usage.  I drive when I have to.  Which unfortunately is all too often as public transport is virtually non-existant in my area but when its possible and practical I'll walk.

But maybe more important...I do simple things like not making unnecessary trips.  We go grocery shopping when we have to, plan ahead to get several jobs done at once, and minimize the distance of the trip.

A few people in the neighborhood seem to drive in and out 9 or 10 times a day.  I'd love to know why.

As an automotive enthusiast there is no such thing an unnecessary trip. On a nice day I take the long way

Driving to the grocery store that's a 5 mins walk away is unnecessary, unless of course one buys bags and bags of groceries.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 08:04:14 am »

Driving to the grocery store that's a 5 mins walk away is unnecessary, unless of course one buys bags and bags of groceries.

Store a 5 min walk away :o, I think the closes one for us is 2.5km
We have a pub that closer then the store

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 11:47:28 am »

How be I drive when I like and you people mind your own business.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

UmroAyyar

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2008, 11:57:16 am »

Its worthwhile walking to the store if one buys one banana at a time.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2008, 12:06:26 pm »

Trust me that I enjoy the drives I do make and I look for the scenic twisty route whenever it makes sense.  But I have to balance my enthusiasm with practicality in terms of paying for gas and unneeded emissions.  Sad but true.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2008, 12:27:53 pm »
Bicycle, bus or motorcycle to work, so everyday is car free day I guess.
Company plane took me to Wabush last week though.

Cessna 414 Chancellor III identical to this one but for the paint.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 03:16:06 pm »
 ::) Aaaah tha WaBUSH cannonball....quite tha Splash yer makin' there Man......... :banana: :thumbup:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Cortina

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 03:32:43 pm »
My old commute:

Car: 20 minutes
Bicycle:  45 minutes
Bus:  90 minutes

That's 70 minutes of non-productive time.

Thats what books are for silly. :)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 04:09:25 pm »
My old commute:

Car: 20 minutes
Bicycle:  45 minutes
Bus:  90 minutes

That's 70 minutes of non-productive time.

Thats what books are for silly. :)

Some of us have families and 70 minutes each way is precious time wasted.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2008, 06:14:04 pm »

Ain't that the truth....I can't imagine giving up more time with my kids to be "green" in somebody else's opinion.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2008, 06:25:38 pm »
 ::) they're cute enuf fer my salad..... ;)....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2008, 07:44:24 pm »

Ain't that the truth....I can't imagine giving up more time with my kids to be "green" in somebody else's opinion.

wait until the kids are 16 ::) :rofl:

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2008, 09:24:08 pm »

wait until the kids are 16 ::) :rofl:

That's when you don't want to leave them home alone (with their boyfriend or girlfriend).  :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2008, 11:46:39 pm »

:iagree: I'd go 20 miles over the peak district for a pint of milk... ahhh them were the days...  :'( :'( :'(

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 12:06:19 am by Just Bob »

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2008, 12:34:54 pm »
Hmmm  ::) "PEEK DISTRICT!!!"......was that yer MILF ROUTE............. :rofl2: