Author Topic: World Car Free Day  (Read 5108 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
World Car Free Day
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:30:32 pm »
It would take me 21/2 hours if I took the bus vs. 35 minutes by car. Fack that.
http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1195459

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: World Car Free Day
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 12:32:37 pm »
Car Free Day? No way, Jose.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:44:24 pm »
It would take me 21/2 hours if I took the bus vs. 35 minutes by car. Fack that.
http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1195459

My wife hates her commute, even though she changed schools a couple years ago and now she's a nice 15-20min away.  She looked into taking public transit.  2 hours over three buses, vs. 15 minutes (20 in heavy traffic).

In the Edmonton area, each municipality has it's own transit system, which means you have a terrible time coordinating schedules if you're coming from an outlying community.  Vancouver has one system for the entire urban area.  Smart.

For teachers, traveling into residential areas means going against rush traffic, which is nice, but it also means limited transit opportunities as they tend to be heavy leaving park-and-ride stations into the downtown, but little in the way of going into the actual residential area.

Of course, this is our fault for living in the suburbs and not close to where we work.  But, the school board is city wide, and if we moved every time one of us changed locations, we'd be moving constantly.  The cost of selling/buying houses would have bankrupted us by now!

Early in my own career I worked downtown, and we tried living downtown.  However, we did own a car (just one!) since we liked to vacation by car and other stuff.  But, the continuous theft attempts and vandalism to our car drove us out.  At least once a month (often more) I would find our car with a smashed window and broken dash.  Thanks to a starter-interrupt anti-theft system, they never stole it, but the constant damage killed us financially.

The plan now is to simply leave the city for a small community.  Jobs have been applied for...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 01:34:28 pm »
There is no bus service where I live, taxi in the only alternative transportation if not driving. Not exactly car free.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 01:47:29 pm »
that day'd better be Sunday or for me it may lead to a work free vacation  :rofl2: E-biking to the office works for me just fine though and I noticed more ppl cycle now than even a year ago.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 02:19:46 pm »
Nope.  Why pander to the people who try these things on... it just encourages them.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:32:11 pm »
I could take the bus, I think it would involve 1 or 2 transfers, and add about a half hour to my trip, but I'd have to arrive at work much later (since I have to be home until the kids get on the school bus), and I'd have to leave work much earlier, so that I could get to the sitter, and then have about a 1/2 hour walk home with the kids.

All in all, it doesn't make much sense for me.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

ghost

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 02:47:30 pm »
Dang... if they would just switch the 'Free' and 'Car' around.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 03:10:22 pm »
Almost every day is car free for me so I might just drive my car on that day.  :P

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 04:20:08 pm »
Nope.  Why pander to the people who try these things on... it just encourages them.
:rofl: :rofl:
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 06:56:59 pm »
My old commute:

Car: 20 minutes
Bicycle:  45 minutes
Bus:  90 minutes

That's 70 minutes of non-productive time.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 07:05:28 pm »
I will be driving my 600HP gas-swilling monster doing smokey burn outs all the way that day.  If I'm in a really good mood, maybe I'll throw in some LEADED C16 gas just for fun.... ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 10:16:44 pm »
I will be driving my 600HP gas-swilling monster doing smokey burn outs all the way that day.  If I'm in a really good mood, maybe I'll throw in some LEADED C16 gas just for fun.... ;D
Stick a sign by the fuel cap saying something like "powered by baby polar bear blood" :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 02:44:57 pm »
Stick a sign by the fuel cap saying something like "powered by baby polar bear blood" :rofl2:
:rofl: Clubbed baby seal blubber might be even better.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 03:45:23 pm »

In the Edmonton area, each municipality has it's own transit system, which means you have a terrible time coordinating schedules if you're coming from an outlying community.  Vancouver has one system for the entire urban area.  Smart.

As does Montreal.  Take a look at the various maps of our system:

http://www.stm.info/English/info/a-plans.htm

The first map is rather large and takes some time to load.  The others show subsets of the full system (metro only, commuter trains only,...)
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 06:36:41 am »
 :iagree:

Did not need a car when I lived in Montreal.  Getting around by public transit was a piece of cake, and cheap.

Can I do the same in the western GTA?  Only if I want my commute to work to go from 20 minutes to two hours.   :shake:

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 01:12:36 pm »
I didn't really need a car when I was in Montreal.  I used to take the Lachine Canal bike path and I'd be downtown at work in less than half an hour.  I lived by a Metro station which was very convenient.   My GF lived out in the West Island.  West Island bus service was not as good as hopping on the Metro.   It was faster to bicycle out to her place than to ride that bus.   Then I had to stay the night because I would be too tired to cycle back home. 

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 04:17:19 pm »
The plan now is to simply leave the city for a small community.  Jobs have been applied for...

Staying in Alberta, John?

I don't know that housing is much better in the small communities these days.

You could always come over to the promised land and donate some more income to our government that saves fuel by not meeting to govern!  ;)

barrie1

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 06:16:34 pm »
Where I live in London I can grab a bus with a regular schedule of around every 6 minutes and thats for all 4 directions. I don't use it that often but its handy when I have to.  :)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 06:29:05 pm »
Instead of world car free day...although its a good idea...people need to think about their car usage.  I drive when I have to.  Which unfortunately is all too often as public transport is virtually non-existant in my area but when its possible and practical I'll walk.

But maybe more important...I do simple things like not making unnecessary trips.  We go grocery shopping when we have to, plan ahead to get several jobs done at once, and minimize the distance of the trip.

A few people in the neighborhood seem to drive in and out 9 or 10 times a day.  I'd love to know why.