Author Topic: Speed limits on ramps?  (Read 8904 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Speed limits on ramps?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 12:15:35 pm »
I take the recommend speed and triple it  :) if I have a good line of sight and all is clear.

I do roughly the same thing. I can double to suggestions typically in our minivan without any stress. When I had my WRX there was a particular 401 off ramp with a substantially decreasing radius corner (seems like it must have been done on purpose) that was always a riot to come through at Mach3 with my hair on fire.

I thought a decreasing radius turn was a civil engineering no no.  Even us dumb miners don’t lay-out such nonsense in underground ramps.

Calgary's got a couple of nasty decreasing radius curves. Curb is all black so it catches a lot of drivers unaware. It must have been designed by a drop-out. As for rec. speeds I take it double in the truck and triple in the car.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 12:17:31 pm »
I take the recommend speed and triple it  :) if I have a good line of sight and all is clear.

I do roughly the same thing. I can double to suggestions typically in our minivan without any stress. When I had my WRX there was a particular 401 off ramp with a substantially decreasing radius corner (seems like it must have been done on purpose) that was always a riot to come through at Mach3 with my hair on fire.

I thought a decreasing radius turn was a civil engineering no no.  Even us dumb miners don’t lay-out such nonsense in underground ramps.
Well there are obviously some over educated highway engineers around here then 'cos there are a fair few bad ramps onto the 401 and especially the 407.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 12:22:06 pm »
Well there are obviously some over educated highway engineers around here then 'cos there are a fair few bad ramps onto the 401 and especially the 407.

"Bad" is all in what car your in and your frame of mind at the time.

@Snowy - I looks like it is a property thing at this specific one. Not enough land to do it properly.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 12:24:19 pm »

"Bad" is all in what car your in and your frame of mind at the time.

@Snowy - I looks like it is a property thing at this specific one. Not enough land to do it properly.

So why not have one radius?

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 12:57:47 pm »
So why not have one radius?

??? Dunno. Some kind of lead in requirement that didn't leave enough room to continue a consistent rad? Who knows.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »
There is a lead in tangent and an exit tangent, but the decision about whether to keep the radius constant has to do with available space and also dependent on what sort of roads are involved.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that ramps with decreasing radii are discouraged these days.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

weebl

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 04:56:50 pm »
I've always believed that yellow/orange speed signs were advisory and a suggested speed, and that any speed stated on a white sign was the law.

So a yellow ramp sign should be no different.  There are some white ramp signs in the Edmonton area (most are, some newer ones are yellow).

But there's an interesting question that I've always wondered about that's tied to the whole yellow sign on a ramp thing:  Let's say the freeway's speed limit is 100, the road you are exiting onto has a limit of 50.  The ramp sign suggests 70 (because it's in yellow), but technically, it is not a speed limit.  Does that mean the ramp's legal speed limit is 100?  It can't be 50, since that's lower than the 70 suggested?  Or is it "sky's the limit" since there is no limit on the ramp? 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 05:48:32 pm »
I've always believed that yellow/orange speed signs were advisory and a suggested speed, and that any speed stated on a white sign was the law.

So a yellow ramp sign should be no different.  There are some white ramp signs in the Edmonton area (most are, some newer ones are yellow).

But there's an interesting question that I've always wondered about that's tied to the whole yellow sign on a ramp thing:  Let's say the freeway's speed limit is 100, the road you are exiting onto has a limit of 50.  The ramp sign suggests 70 (because it's in yellow), but technically, it is not a speed limit.  Does that mean the ramp's legal speed limit is 100?  It can't be 50, since that's lower than the 70 suggested?  Or is it "sky's the limit" since there is no limit on the ramp? 

The skys the limit till you tag the curb.  ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 05:55:02 pm »

The ramp limit will be the same as the expressway limit and when you hit the 50 sign at the end of the ramp then you must be doing 50 or under.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 05:57:48 pm »
There is a lead in tangent and an exit tangent, but the decision about whether to keep the radius constant has to do with available space and also dependent on what sort of roads are involved.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that ramps with decreasing radii are discouraged these days.

The RIGHT way would be to put in a correct single radius ramp, with appropriately long lead in and lead out and knock down as many buildings as required.  And by the way don't forget to put in banking that starts by matching the expressway speed and ends up matching the road one is to exit to.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 06:36:09 pm »
I had some guy in front of me looking like he was losing it going fast on the ramp today.  He steered into the gravel on the inner curve.  Would that be understeer?   I quickly eased off my throttle to see what he was going to do next.  Any way, he managed to correct himself. 

According to the driver's handbook, the yellow speed limit sign shows maximum speed on ramp.  I've seen people pulled over on the ramp.  Not sure what for. 

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 06:55:03 pm »
According to the drivers handbook online "Posted under a curve warning, this sign shows the maximum safe speed for the curve."
Does this mean they could charge you with carless driving or something like that?

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 06:58:54 pm »
Maybe failure to obey a sign.   That's probably easier to convict than careless.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 07:44:59 pm »
On the 401, in construction zones, the signs are orange, with 89 max,
Would these signs be legal limited?

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 08:03:59 pm »
 In NB, in construction zones, the fines for speeding (above the reduced limit) are double what they would normally be.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 09:13:56 pm »
Posted limit, I quadruple it and -10 !

:P

He steered into the gravel on the inner curve.  Would that be understeer?

How long have you been posting on this forum, and you don't even know what understeer is?!? I despair...

:fall: :fall: :fall:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 10:45:17 pm »
Does this mean they could charge you with carless driving or something like that?

Only if you're riding a pony.   :rofl2:  ;)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Wolfe

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 11:04:40 pm »

He steered into the gravel on the inner curve.  Would that be understeer?

How long have you been posting on this forum, and you don't even know what understeer is?!? I despair...

:fall: :fall: :fall:

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Oversteer is when the passengers are scared, Understeer is when the driver is scared.

;) :rofl2:

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 07:55:49 am »
That second part sums it up pretty good actually!

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2008, 08:22:22 am »
The motorcyclist who was caught speeding at 250km/hr or whatever was being darned careful not to fall off. I can't believe this thread...is speed so essential that it has to be debated around the few yards (no appologies) of a feed on/off ramp. There are a few ramps where you have to keep your revs up in the bend, to reach highway speed in an ordinary 'non sporting' car; Belevile/401 comes to mind...a very short feed on taper. The vast majority of ramps have plenty of straight to attain highway speed.