Author Topic: Speed limits on ramps?  (Read 8904 times)

WagonMan

Speed limits on ramps?
« on: September 11, 2008, 08:37:03 am »
Those yellow speed limit signs on ramps.  Are they the same from a ticket point of view as the regular white ones on the roads.

E.g. If I am stopped by the police going 81 on a ramp marked 30 with a yellow sign, will I lose my car and licence for a week?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Speed limits on ramps?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 08:38:59 am »
Did you?  ;)

I always thought they were more of a suggestion than rule. Of course, most of us use them as a gauge to how fast above the sign we should try to go through the corner/ramp.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:21:55 am »
I "think / thought" they are a warning.  When you see 20 slow down it's a crazy curve.  So I got 80 ;)

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 09:26:41 am »
Did you?  ;)

I always thought they were more of a suggestion than rule. Of course, most of us use them as a gauge to how fast above the sign we should try to go through the corner/ramp.

I also thought that they were a suggestion, to which you double what's indiated and add 10, just for fun.  ;D ;)
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 09:33:05 am »
I take the recommend speed and triple it  :) if I have a good line of sight and all is clear. One day the OPP had a ride program set up on an exit ramp and I had to brake quite hard to avoid them. Before they could question me I was all over them about setting up on a blind curve and if they understood how much of a safety issue this was. I have not seen them there again.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 09:33:36 am »
I thought the Orange signs were advisory limits.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 09:38:25 am »
I thought the Orange signs were advisory limits.

X2

Yellow/orange

Advisory (notice they say rfamp 80kph not MAXIMUM *) KPH)

White
Speed limit

IE MAXIMUM 100

Someone please correct us if they can find motor vehcicle act or something to contradict.

Also as a common sense thing how could they possibly enforce this?

The sign 100 M from the corner/ramp says 80 but there is not another sign 100 M from the end of the ramp that says 100. Speed zones need to have a beginning and end don't they? I can think of many ramps where the sign says 80 merging onto a 110 highway where the 110 sign is a long way from the ramp.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 09:41:32 am »
I doubt you would get a speeding fine, but you could get a dangerous driving / reckless / stunting fine I guess.

Those signs are for trucks IMO, anyone can easily double most of the signs without fuss in most cars.

Jameel

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 10:23:09 am »
To the OP, like others have mentioned the yellow signs are suggested speed limits. The max speed limit on a ramp is still 100 km/h.

I doubt you would get a speeding fine, but you could get a dangerous driving / reckless / stunting fine I guess.

Those signs are for trucks IMO, anyone can easily double most of the signs without fuss in most cars.

Even my 4 door civic, with warpped rotors, bad alignment and with crappy all-season tires can easly double the suggested speed limits.

I take the recommend speed and triple it  :) if I have a good line of sight and all is clear. One day the OPP had a ride program set up on an exit ramp and I had to brake quite hard to avoid them. Before they could question me I was all over them about setting up on a blind curve and if they understood how much of a safety issue this was. I have not seen them there again.
hahahahaha... I can't believe you told them off.  I try not to pi$$ the cops off too much when I’m talking to them. Always be polite and don’t give attitude.

But don’t they kind of have to be setup in a blind corner / area. So people don’t avoid them by taking a different route?!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 10:25:40 am by Jameel »

WagonMan

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 10:29:09 am »

My rule of thumb is generally dbl the posted ramp speed is safe as well.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 10:34:59 am »
This thread is why I love this forum.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 10:45:44 am »
Being yellow, they would come under the 'advisory' category in my opinion (as if that counts for anything).  I take them as an indicator of how sharp the curve is; like many have posted, it's easy to take at double the posted ramp speed, I just use it as an indicator of what to expect for the sharpness of the curve.  And how I take it depends on if and who I have as passengers. 
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 10:49:18 am »
If you can't take care for a very short distance on a ramp...what chance is there for the rest of the highway. No wonder governing is a topic. Driving is not! a game.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 10:52:40 am »
I suspect if you are going faster than the speed limit of the road you are leaving you could get a ticket though.

WagonMan

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 11:07:28 am »
If you can't take care for a very short distance on a ramp...what chance is there for the rest of the highway. No wonder governing is a topic. Driving is not! a game.
Who said anything about not taking care on the ramp?

To me taking care while driving is about maintaing a speed that is comparable to that of other traffic. If I leave the DVP at the bloor street exit and drive at 55-60 on a ramp marked 30, just like 90% of other cars exiting that ramp, am I not taking care?  I would think driving on that ramp at 30 and forcing cars behind me to brake while turning on a narrow ramp, potentially fairly hard as they may not expect a car to be travelling that slowly, is more dangerous and indicative of a driver not taking care.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 11:23:11 am »
Where's Fuzzy when you need him?  This question is right up his alley.

It's just like the old saying goes:  "There's never a  :cp2: ..." :rofl2: :rofl2:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 11:31:48 am »
I hate the people that merge onto the highway still going what the posted yellow sign for the onramp said.  >:(

I know someone who failed his driving test because he thought the yellow sign has to be followed. So when he got onto the merge lane he was too slow and cut someone off merging.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 11:33:30 am »
I take the recommend speed and triple it  :) if I have a good line of sight and all is clear.

I do roughly the same thing. I can double to suggestions typically in our minivan without any stress. When I had my WRX there was a particular 401 off ramp with a substantially decreasing radius corner (seems like it must have been done on purpose) that was always a riot to come through at Mach3 with my hair on fire.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 11:53:17 am »
I take the recommend speed and triple it  :) if I have a good line of sight and all is clear.

I do roughly the same thing. I can double to suggestions typically in our minivan without any stress. When I had my WRX there was a particular 401 off ramp with a substantially decreasing radius corner (seems like it must have been done on purpose) that was always a riot to come through at Mach3 with my hair on fire.

I thought a decreasing radius turn was a civil engineering no no.  Even us dumb miners don’t lay-out such nonsense in underground ramps.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 11:57:00 am »
Yes those suggestions usually allow quite a bit of margin for error. I do however prefer that they put pictures of really shapr corners (not photos before someone makes a comment :-)) I go caught badley when I was younger and foolish (I fully admit that had I followed the posted speed I would have been fine and don't suggest that the FAULT was any but my ownon a corner that said 40 that I took at double that and turned out not to be just a shap corner by a decreasing radius off camber downhill corner with gravel on it.(The only time I ever want to see one of those agin is driving Laguna Seca corkscrew on Gran Turismo) Its nice (not essential) to know when there is a 90 degree turn or something coming.

I do have a tendancy to slow down to the posted speed on unfamiliar corners or ramps becuase of this experience..but like others on familiar ones I'm trying to go with the trafic flow and merge quickly rather than slow to the very conservative ramp speed.