Author Topic: Gas Prices in Canada not following the steep price decrease  (Read 8723 times)

vdk

Re: Gas Prices in Canada not following the steep price decrease
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 09:09:56 pm »
they = the media who else :P

CNN in this case....

CNN is a front for Whitehouse propaganda.

Still alot more entertaining than CP24 and CBC.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 09:24:44 pm »
My gas bill is 1/4 of my food bill every month....now if somebody could do something to reduce my food bills, then we can talk.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 09:26:05 pm »
they = the media who else :P

CNN in this case....

CNN is a front for Whitehouse propaganda.

Still alot more entertaining than CP24 and CBC.

When I want to watch real news I turn on the CBC and listen to Peter.

Vanguard

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 10:54:21 pm »
Not quite; CNN is the mouthpiece of the US Democratic Party. Fox is the Republican Party communications arm.  :o

Re gas prices in Canada vs US: Canada makes the stuff and charges it's own citizens a premium via taxes. Taxes good friends is killing competitiveness in our country

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 11:29:08 pm »
Maybe to get better gas prices we need to do what the Americans are doing:

" WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. government employees received improper gifts from energy industry representatives, and engaged with them in illegal drug use and inappropriate sexual relations, according to a report issued Wednesday.
A report says government officials accepted gifts from oil and gas company employees.

A report says government officials accepted gifts from oil and gas company employees.

The report was issued by the Interior Department's inspector general after a $5.3 million investigation "uncovered recreational marijuana and cocaine use" by "a handful" of Interior Department staff, and found two federal employees "engaged in brief sexual relationships with representatives from companies doing business" with the department.

Two Interior Department employees "received combined gifts and gratuities on at least 135 occasions from four major oil and gas companies with whom they were doing business -- a textbook example of improperly receiving gifts from prohibited sources," Inspector General Earl Devaney says in a letter to Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne accompanying the report.

Randall Luthi, head of the Minerals Management Service at the Interior Department, said the public had not suffered financial losses as a result of the employees' behavior.

Some of the government employees tried to hide their close association with the industry they were supposed to be regulating, the report says.

The investigation turned up e-mails in which MMS employees "preparing to attend industry events used such language as 'this trip is to be kept quiet,' or were asked to RSVP 'in private' by their supervisor," the report says.

"When we asked we these one of these employees why they needed to avoid discussing their social activities with industry, he responded with a slight chuckle, 'They might have, you know, contacted the [inspector general],' " the report says.

The investigation appears to have been prompted by an internal whistle-blower's report in 2006, and concerns activity from 2002 to 2006 by the department responsible for selling the oil and gas the government collects as rent from companies drilling on federal lands.

The report alleges inappropriate behavior by 19 members of the Royalty in Kind program -- about one-third of the department. Some have since left the department, making it unclear what kind of disciplinary action they could be subject to.

The Department of Justice declined to prosecute two former employees named in the report, the inspector general said, without saying why. Another pleaded guilty to a criminal charge.

MMS head Luthi said only "six or seven" employees named in the report still work for the department. He vowed appropriate action by the time he leaves office in January.

Democrats used the report to accuse President Bush's administration of being too close to the oil industry.

"The Bush administration put an 'America for Sale' sign on the White House lawn from day one and has been courting Big Oil ever since," Rep. Louise Slaughter, D-New York and chairwoman of the House Rules Committee, said in a written statement. "Democrats have been saying it for some time, but this proves it. This administration is literally in bed with Big Oil. Little did we know they were such a cheap date."

Sen. Bill Nelson, a Florida Democrat, said the report should make Congress reconsider plans to expand offshore drilling.

"The rest of the United States government doesn't need to jump in bed with" the oil industry, he said.

"Offshore drilling will not solve our energy crisis nor will it bring down prices at the pump," Nelson said. "Instead, it will enrich the oil companies and reward the culture of corruption that has been fostered, funded and now exposed by the inspector general."
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 12:10:41 am »
My gas bill is 1/4 of my food bill every month....now if somebody could do something to reduce my food bills, then we can talk.

How about growing some of your own food?   We have a plot at the community garden. 

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 08:53:39 am »

How about growing some of your own food?   We have a plot at the community garden. 

Food? You should be growing corn so they can turn it into ethanol.

vdk

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 11:58:08 am »

How about growing some of your own food?   We have a plot at the community garden. 

Am I the only one who'd be growing spmething totally different  :rofl2:

I kid I kid...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:03:10 pm by vdk »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 12:13:12 pm »
Americans are much better consumers in terms of demanding lower prices. Canadians seem to complain, shrug their shoulders and then pay.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 12:33:51 pm »
Americans are much better consumers in terms of demanding lower prices. Canadians seem to complain, shrug their shoulders and then pay.

How do americans effect the price of fuel? What are Americans doing differently compared to Canadians in terms of asking for better fuel prices? Nothing

The price of Canadian fuel will always look out of whack becuase there is so much tax included in the price. Now is fuel cheaper in the US aftetr taxes are taken out? Probaly. But not by nealy as big a margin.

Fact is in terms of fuel price Americans have to do the same thing as Canadians. Compllain shurg their shoulders and pay.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 12:39:20 pm »

How do americans effect the price of fuel? What are Americans doing differently compared to Canadians in terms of asking for better fuel prices? Nothing

The price of Canadian fuel will always look out of whack becuase there is so much tax included in the price. Now is fuel cheaper in the US aftetr taxes are taken out? Probaly. But not by nealy as big a margin.

Fact is in terms of fuel price Americans have to do the same thing as Canadians. Compllain shurg their shoulders and pay.

They have kept their government from piling the same amount of taxes onto their fuel like Canadians. The GST is also a bit aof an interesting one too, a tax on a tax.. Locally here in Alberta we may be seeing a bit of an after effect of Petrocan stations having NO fuel for about 3 weeks. My local station was closed for three weeks due to no fuel. I think they may be keeping the prices up to make up lost revenue?

Anyhow as usual the ultimate choice falls on the consumer. Price of gas too high? Don't buy any. Take the bike, the bus, buy a moped etc...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 12:46:22 pm »
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hSb-bl7iGMiooJEQCDRz2XQPKagw

Oil falls to below $97/bbl on the news that there is no news that can scare us into thinking that oil should rise.

Of course, gasoline prices expected to rise based on this development.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 01:51:20 pm »

They have kept their government from piling the same amount of taxes onto their fuel like Canadians. The GST is also a bit aof an interesting one too, a tax on a tax.. Locally here in Alberta we may be seeing a bit of an after effect of Petrocan stations having NO fuel for about 3 weeks. My local station was closed for three weeks due to no fuel. I think they may be keeping the prices up to make up lost revenue?

Anyhow as usual the ultimate choice falls on the consumer. Price of gas too high? Don't buy any. Take the bike, the bus, buy a moped etc...

Really I'd like to know more about the mechanism that we have access to to get the govenment to reduce fuel taxes that the Americans use. I'd certainly participate. The government can always argue that fuel taxes help fund health care and the US doesn't get free health care so yhou are dead in the water.

Unfortunatly the theory that "Price of gas too high? Don't buy any. Take the bike, the bus, buy a moped etc..."

is a total crock.

Gas demand is largley (not totally) inelastic.

For example: I am required to drive for work and paid mileage (which may or may not keep up with gas price increses). I can't take the bus, buy a moped or anything else. I have to buy gas regardles of the price.

Live outside the city limits or in any other place in Nova Scotia other than Halifax (maybe Sydney??) sorry no bus service. You aren't getting anywhere without a car.

Yes you can drive less but for the majority the purchase of gas is unvaiodable.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 07:11:14 pm »

We did get a couple dozen of cobs of corn out of the garden this year but it is not enough to keep the car going.  I may raise suspicion if I have a distillation column in my backyard.   Although it was nice to have fresh just picked corn. 

Gasoline is a refined product from raw crude oil.  Is it cheaper to refine in the U.S.A. than in Canada?   Do they have cheaper transport cost to get the gasoline to the gas stations than us?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 09:37:53 pm »
According to the news Gas price around GTA goes up 13c/litre at midnight.  IKE.

Not clear to me why the shutting down of some US refineries for a few days should cause Canadian gas prices to spike.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 10:04:56 pm »
Because as John said their socks got wet so they need to drive to the store to get more and they live far from the store so it takes lots of gas so they hike the prices. ;)

Here's a website that predicts the prices for the country.  It's $1.16 today I should have filled the truck as tomorrow it's suppose to be $1.30  What a crock.

http://www.mcteague.ca/WebPages/gas_price_today.htm

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 10:13:22 pm »
According to the news Gas price around GTA goes up 13c/litre at midnight.  IKE.

I just heard that, wondering whether to fill up now...?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 11:35:30 pm »
I'll vote for the party that promise to shaf* big oil with the CN tower. Gas goes up 13 cents over night! And you know it'll go up exactly midnight those SOB don't even care to pretend they aren't robbing us blind.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 12:15:15 am »
so did it go up yet?
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2008, 06:08:18 am »
so did it go up yet?

Yep, up 12 cents.  I love watching the news with all the Lemmings lined up to save 5 bucks, sit there for an hour and waste even more gas doing so. People are too funny.

I wonder if these same people wait until the price drops before they buy more us just fill it up?