Author Topic: Gas Prices in Canada not following the steep price decrease  (Read 8706 times)

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Re: Gas Prices in Canada not following the steep price decrease
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2008, 06:48:32 am »
Gas prices are now weather dependant. Wonderful. No damage yet, but they think there will be so it goes up a whopping 13 cents. How do they arrive at that? Why not eight- or nine. WTF ???

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2008, 07:23:44 am »
Why do we not have sufficient refinery capacity in Canada especially capacity to refine the synthetic crude for the oil sands so that we  can ignore the US spot price for refined products.
 I am always surprised and annoyed that we in Canada allow the export of crude oil rather than refined products only, same for logs from the forestry rather than furniture,  ore from the mines  rather than finished products etc.  Refineries may be expensive but we have plenty of room to site them near the oil itself... and whats a few billion $$ over the 20 year lifesapn of such a thing. 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2008, 08:20:10 am »
so did it go up yet?

Yep, up 12 cents.  I love watching the news with all the Lemmings lined up to save 5 bucks, sit there for an hour and waste even more gas doing so. People are too funny.

I wonder if these same people wait until the price drops before they buy more us just fill it up?

Never underestimate the stupidity of the common man.  :)

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2008, 08:49:25 am »
so did it go up yet?

Yep, up 12 cents.  I love watching the news with all the Lemmings lined up to save 5 bucks, sit there for an hour and waste even more gas doing so. People are too funny.

I wonder if these same people wait until the price drops before they buy more us just fill it up?

I went before the price hike to fill my 1/4 tank. Only waited 1 minute. It's all about knowing where all the stations are.
Never underestimate the stupidity of the common man.  :)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2008, 09:19:51 am »
Wife just got back in $1.19 at the Esso station, with line ups
Ultramar is probably at $1.16 with longer line ups
It think I wait until Monday before filling up ;D

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2008, 09:56:24 am »
Ouch! News talk radio is saying average price in Toronto today is about $1.35/$1.36 per litre! :o

Good thing I fueled up yesterday. I was on the 407 coming into the G.T.A. today and there were several large pickups and SUVs doing 140 km/hr or so in the fast lane! ??? I can't imagine what the trip was costing them in fuel. :P

Having a Civic for a sales vehicle is saving myself (and my company) a lot of money! :D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2008, 10:09:06 am »
Gas in Edmonton is $1.389 to $1.409 this morning.  Geez, if oil goes down to $75/bbl we could be looking at gas over $2.00/L.  Imagine if it went to $20/bbl!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2008, 10:33:10 am »
Gas in Edmonton is $1.389 to $1.409 this morning.  Geez, if oil goes down to $75/bbl we could be looking at gas over $2.00/L.  Imagine if it went to $20/bbl!

Gas in Edmonton is $1.389 to $1.409 this morning

When I watched the morning news they put up a graphic of Canada with prices in other cities that showed how Toronto was paying the most in Canada. Don't you just love the media :rofl2: 

Offline Ottawa

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 BMW X5 45e , 2012 Boxster, 2020 Honda Civic Ex(lease), 2019 BMW X2(leased), 2018 Rx350 Sport2(stolen), ML350 BT 2011(traded), 530xi 2006(traded ), Odyssey EXL 2006(sold), Maxima GLE 2002(traded)
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2008, 10:42:44 am »
Ouch! News talk radio is saying average price in Toronto today is about $1.35/$1.36 per litre! :o

Good thing I fueled up yesterday. I was on the 407 coming into the G.T.A. today and there were several large pickups and SUVs doing 140 km/hr or so in the fast lane! ??? I can't imagine what the trip was costing them in fuel. :P

Having a Civic for a sales vehicle is saving myself (and my company) a lot of money! :D

Where is that MP that supposedly tracks Gas prices? Did he take off he thinking hat and is numb to what is happening? Doesn't he see that our price differential with the states is now at an all time high, that is the issue. If Ike hits Houston, then North american prices should all be impacted not just Toronto.
We see a 13 cent increase overnight and nobody questions that. That is the equivalent of 50 cents per gallon. The government would be toppled in Washington if this was allowed to happen
I am fed up of this attitude. I am not voting for any one who does not tackle this issue. Can we make this issue visible to some media outlet and ask the tough questions.
Gas companies want to continue making fat profits on the back of average Canadians...Sickening...Where is the government watchdog when you look for it?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2008, 10:57:48 am »
That MP called it ok.  On last evenings news. And he rattled on about the problems of letting the Oil Cos form a semi monopoly.

Anyway.  On balance I'd rather have the volatility than Government price controls and shortages... which would undoubtedly follow 'cos as soon as the regulated Canadian price was too low then no gas would come up here.  Answer as I said above is probably to increase our refining capacity and cease exporting crude... get us on the price maker side not the price taker side.  Maybe we should join OPEC? That would :censor: off the Americans

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2008, 11:34:13 am »
Price for reg actually dropped here to $1.334 at my Chevron. Filled up w 94 at $1.485 this AM. The threat of Ike's damage in the Gulf is enough to push prices up in advance.

Price elastic going up, price not so elastic coming down.

But, whatcha gonna do?  ;)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2008, 11:37:02 am »
Why do we not have enough refining capacity in Canada? NIMBY rules. I don't believe that there has been a refinery built in North America in the last 25 years.

Anyhow IKE is having an effect in gasoline stocks as facilities are closed BEFORE the storm hits as a precaution. Even though Gustav caused little damage facilities were again shut in as a precaution. Check out the latest supply situations in the US:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2008, 12:06:16 pm »
Incase someone has not seen this site
http://www.ontariogasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=A
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:41:28 pm by airbalancer »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2008, 12:07:52 pm »
Why do we not have enough refining capacity in Canada? NIMBY rules. I don't believe that there has been a refinery built in North America in the last 25 years.

Anyhow IKE is having an effect in gasoline stocks as facilities are closed BEFORE the storm hits as a precaution. Even though Gustav caused little damage facilities were again shut in as a precaution. Check out the latest supply situations in the US:

I have no problem at all with protecting the refineries from a hurricane and your are right ktm    Nimby rules... although there are MANY places in Canada that are essentially empty  of people and yet are near a main road ( say within 100km)   where the gov could insist a refinery/nuclear power plant/death camp/ be built.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2008, 12:10:36 pm »

I have no problem at all with protecting the refineries from a hurricane and your are right ktm    Nimby rules... although there are MANY places in Canada that are essentially empty  of people and yet are near a main road ( say within 100km)   where the gov could insist a refinery/nuclear power plant/death camp/ be built.

A refinery has to be near a main oil transmission pipeline. It is also better to be near a large populace so transportation costs arn't astronomical.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2008, 12:24:11 pm »
I no longer care much, except to note the obvious game being played upon us all.  I altered my driving habits long ago; I use my car no more than 3 times per week on average.  Furthermore, I average quite a few Kms of expressway/highway driving during those trips, as opposed to the more traditional stop-and-go urban traffic.

It is rather sad, though, that what we see seems to bear no rhyme, reason or even relation to what is happening to the price of crude.  A supposed crisis happens and voila! the price of the finished product goes up immediately.  The "crisis" eases and we're told that any price cuts have to "work their way" through the system. ::) :P :hurl:

Ah well.  Enough philosophy about life, the universe and the price of gas.  It's just a few hours until the weekend and a great Blues/old style rock 'n roll concert.  Either that or the new Coen Brothers movie.  Yeah, it's all good. ;)
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2008, 12:45:08 pm »
I went for a burn at noon to pick up lunch and filled up as I won’t have a chance with a 5:24 tee time after work. $1.59 for the good stuff  :banana:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2008, 12:51:49 pm »
I went for a burn at noon to pick up lunch and filled up as I won’t have a chance with a 5:24 tee time after work. $1.59 for the good stuff  :banana:

Burn baby burn. ;D A positive to these high gas prices is that there will be some smoking deals on CTS-V's and G8's next year. :skid:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2008, 01:38:32 pm »

A refinery has to be near a main oil transmission pipeline. It is also better to be near a large populace so transportation costs aren't astronomical.

So southern AB, SK or MB should be fine then. they are big places with sparse populations.
 Considering how long some of those pipelines are, an extra 100 km or so is a drop in the bucket as it were.

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2008, 06:37:26 pm »
$1.499 per litre for regular.

So shut the :censor: up about yer $1.35!

:P

;)