Author Topic: Manufacturer Bias - second chance?  (Read 4361 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Manufacturer Bias - second chance?
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:36:02 pm »
OK everyone has their favourite manufacturers, the ones they would consider buying from again etc.

So of the manufacturers you dislike for any reason, if you had to give one of them a chance again, which one would it be and why?

My top 4 manufacturers (based on my own experiences):
Lotus
BMW
Acura
Subaru

My Bottom 4 (based on experience, hearsay, and misinformed opinion)
Hyundai
Ford
Renault
Proton

I would want to give Hyundai a chance I think, even though I would find it hard to go into the dealership (mainly based on the reputation they had 10 years ago) I am intrigued by their warranties and the good things I've heard about them in the last few years.

Anyone else?
 :)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Manufacturer Bias - second chance?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:43:36 pm »
I would give a second chance for a manufacturer.  A lot can change in 10 years.  You won't know unless you step foot into the dealership.  If the experience is still bad, you can always leave.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 09:44:30 pm »
Bob you should buy a Sonata, you could get a lightly used one for next to nothing!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 09:55:46 pm »
"Coleslaw deserves a second chance". 5 points to the person who identifies the recent Canadian Walk of Fame recipient who said that.

I think automotive consumers need to look a recent history in making buying decisions as even the North American makers have made considerable gains in reliability and quality despite claims by the local Japanese fan-boys. I still would have some hesitation towards buying a European brand here in the North American market as they apear to have a way to go on the Consumer reports ratings… which is gospel  :)

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 10:01:11 pm »
Okay I'll play...

Top:
Toyota - Lots of very positive experiences with Sienna, Corolla, and Yaris.
Honda - Wow, amazing engineering in many of their products; witness many comparisons and Honda often has the lightest and most fuel efficient vehicles in the comparo. Since I have taken over our Civic for use in my sales job I have really become attached to the car and look forward to driving it.
Chrysler - Full kudos to them for the many Grand Caravans I have flogged over the year with minimal fuss. I am also a huge fan of the PT Cruiser; but alas, this one is going the way of the do do bird. If I had the disposable income and the space for one I would snag an orange Challenger SRT with a manual (presuming that one comes this way in the future).
Hyundai - Class competitive cars at very reasonable prices

Mid:
GM - For the Malibu/Aura and the excellent Astra

Bottom:
Volkswagon - Money pit from my experience and I will never buy one again.
Nissan - This opinion is based more of horrible experiences at my local dealer and my take on the poor interiors I have experienced in many Maxima and Altima...
Ford - Other than Mustang and Fusion I am not a fan. I still have bad recollections of a particular Mercury Mystigue Mistake which was a source of lots of $ for several mechanics
Chrysler - For almost everything else they make save the Grand Caravan

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 10:14:38 pm »

Nissan/Infiniti
Honda
Mazda

Mid

Toyota (the Echo is still in the family, the most reliable rattlebox I ever owned) I don`t see the Camry as the car it used to be with falling quality and I`ll leave it at that.

GM, I like the Malibu, promissing little cars on the way.

Bottom

Ford (The truck company, they forgot the cars :shake:)
Chrysler (no comments ::))
VW (very nice models, top notch interior, but so dam unreliable IMO :banghead:)

Zoo: yes Nissan interiors were cheap, have a second look now, all models are top notch materials, fit and finish.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 10:36:10 pm »
Altima1,

I will take a closer look at Nissan interiors again. This is the problem with a lot of us. We get "stuck" in our old perceptions. GM and the other member of the "D 2.8" are going to have to work extra hard to convince potential customers that the wares they are peddling now are way different from the Vegas, Cimarrons etc from the past.

barrie1

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 10:44:13 pm »
I'll take a GM anyday over a Import with Ford or Chrysler being next. Some of the Imports are very well built such as Mercedes,BMW,Volvo,Rolls and Bently of course. I would not ever buy a Honda again as to a horrible experience I had with one years ago and from all of the repair complaints I see on here as well. They are the highest of any make period. You can read that for yourselves.  :)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 10:48:19 pm »

So of the manufacturers you dislike for any reason, if you had to give one of them a chance again, which one would it be and why?

Ford because they seem to be getting the changes to their cars done that need to be done; lots of their cars are now recommended by CR; and their reliability is much improved.  The last Ford I had was Mystique, it was terrible under warranty but off, it seemed much better.  And was a blast to drive.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 11:21:58 pm »
Top 4
Toyota
Honda
Acura
Mazda

Bottom 4
Ford
Chevy
Kia
Dodge/Chrysler

Only owned one car myself but had plenty of experience with my parents various Chrysler products over the years.  The problem with Chrysler back in the 1990s was that they had good designs with good engines, crappy powertrains, and poor production quality.  Nothing was built to last.  I doubt I'd ever give Chrysler a "second chance" based on all of the trouble my parents had...and they consider themselves lucky with not having too many problems.

I like Toyotas and Hondas...I really like the Acuras and I really love the Mazda designs.  I guess I buck the convention of being a car fan, a youngish one maybe, and I really like Toyota and Honda where everyone else finds them pedestrian and average.  I actually surprised myself by buying Toyota when I swore I'd never do it...but I'm happier and happier with my purchase.  Its a solid car.  Same with the Hondas I've been up close with.  Even the old ones you can appreciate the fact that its still looking and running pretty much the same 10 years later with a little care.

I'd definitely see myself in a Ford or Chevy if they keep stepping upto the game. The Volt gives me hope and Fords decision to bring the Fiesta essentially unaltered (I'm holding them to that) to North America also gives me hope.  I REALLY hope they don't screw it up. Either of them.  In 8-10 years when I'm looking for a new vehicle...I'll evaluate the options and see where the markets at.  That gives Ford and Chevy and anyone else time to get their long term quality up.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 11:28:55 pm »
Bob, one thing for sure give Hyundai another chance after you see the Genesis.
I'm pleased with my Sonata and even more impressed with my Dad's 08 V6 Tuscon, which was assembled in its homeland. As far as the dealers the crappiest experience you'll (arguably) find in Thornhill and the best I had at Richmond Hill Hyundai - bot my dads car there.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 11:34:25 pm »
Hmmmm...I think of the domestics I'd have to pick Ford.  But I really feel like I'd be taking a chance. Although I like the direction they're going (mostly their Euro stuff, though the new Flex is cool), I'm not sure if they could stand up to the mileage I put on cars (200,000kms), or for a performance vehicle, the usage.

As for an import...definitely Hyundai. Their quality has made HUGE strides. The Genesis sedan and coupe are both very desireable vehicles to me.

I have to say though, we've really been spoiled by Lexus ownership and to a lesser extent Toyota. From the reliability to the dealer experience,  it really would take a pretty spectacular car to get us to change.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:36:34 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 11:52:13 pm »
Top:
BMW
Audi
Mazda

Bottom:
Hyundai/Kia
Suzuki
Chrysler

Lots is going on in the middle for me and I would by from any manufacturer if they would offer the right car.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:56:04 pm by carcrazy »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 06:15:41 am »
From experience only
BMW             Mine was reliable and great to drive.
Volkswagen  both the GTIs I owned were reliable  so I now have a 3rd one
Saab             Mine were REAL Saabs pre the take over
Honda          The Fit is good
Audi              I'd buy another.

Bottom
Toyota                   Seem the epitome of boring to me.
US Ford                 Based on a Pinto never driven any other
Chrysler                In 33 years I have not seen any one that I'd want to buy
Hyundai                A friend had a Pony and the ROOF rusted!

I have driven many Citroens, Renaults, Peugeots and Fiats for a month at a time over the years, as rentals in France on vacation and if they were sold here I would probably own one.

The last GM car I drove was a G6 rental and I would not want to drive it far. Before that it was the first of the downsized fullsized cars in 1977. That was a good car in my estimation...Quiet, fast, comfortable and by 1977 standards it handled like a sports car. It was RWD with a 305 motor IIRC.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 08:01:50 am »
Usually I hate the truth about cars guy (it is easy to just hate on everything) but he has some really good points on that myth thing.  Especially about the "13" new fuel efficient models.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 08:06:58 am »
My top 4 manufacturers (based on my own experiences):
Subaru
Toyota
Mazda
Honda

My Bottom 4 (based on experience, hearsay, and misinformed opinion)
Chrysler
Kia
Hyundai
Suzuki
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 08:51:52 am »
Top: Mercedes-Benz
Bottom: Mercedes-Benz

Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 09:22:09 am »
Top 3

Porcsche

What other manufacturer has been able to sling an engine over the rear wheels and make it work?  From the classic 911 shape to the supposedly pure driving experience of the Boxter, Porcshe always seem to get it right and offer the value their premium demands.   It all makes me willing to overlook the Cayenne.

BMW

I've only driven 1 BMW, a 2.5 X3.  I realize this isn't a benchmark beemer at all, but even still there's something very impressive about how it can be so smooth and yet handle so well.  Particularly given the high CoG.  And of course that inline six is amazing. 

Mazda

The first Mazda I drove was my dads '97 miata.  That would be enough to hook anyone.  After 100,000 km in our P5 I'm still not looking forward to the day it will be replaced.  Anything I've driven lately just doesn't have that feeling of connection.  Even still Mazda seems to offer a more sporty experience than the competitors. Now only if they could give me a 6 wagon with a manual.

Bottom 3

Chrysler

Grew up driving a Grand Caravan.  Need I saw more?  All recent chryslers I've been in have had terrible interiors and ho-hum handling.  IMO they make cars for people who shop on price.

Ford

I had a Mazda Ranger for a few years and put ~130,000 km on it.  This was an old design and still I had to replace and incredible number of front suspension pieces.  It was reliable enough, but there was a lack of overall quality.

Saturn

No experiences with Saturn.  I've only driven a recent Vue with the Honda V6 (hell of an engine, even if the rest is bleh).  For some reason saturn drivers are always holding me up and that alone is enough to preclude me from buying one.  (though the Astra is nice, I think the narrow hatch would be a deal killer).
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

unctuous

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 10:30:02 am »
Top 4
GM
Ford
Chrysler
Volvo

Bottom 4
Honda
Toyota
Hyundai
BMW

I really wish I could put Chrysler at the top of the list but the so so reliability prevents me from doing so.  I've had really good experiences with GM as far as reliability and cost to maintain. 

I do not like Japanese/Asian imports as they are little cars designed for little people that go BEEP BEEP.
I put BMW on the bad list too because they are a dime a dozen.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 10:33:54 am »
^^ Post of the day right there. ^^