Author Topic: Photo Radar  (Read 2331 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Photo Radar
« on: September 08, 2008, 06:28:10 pm »
My wife's sister and her husband were in town visiting for a couple of weeks this summer. Being a somewhat generous guy, I let them borrow my car for a couple of trips around town.

So, two weeks later, in today's mail I get a !#!@$# photo radar ticket, with a clear picture of my brother-in-law behind the wheel!

Now, I'm not pissed off at him (he was doing 79 in a 60 zone - a perfectly reasonable speed IMO, and one that 80% of the motoring public drives at on that stretch of road), but still, I'm not happy to be stuck with the $120 fine (which, as the registered owner of the vehicle, I am  >:( ).

So, what would you do? Suck it up and pay the fine, or risk an awkward family moment and ask him to pay up?

(If it makes any difference, I might also add that he returned my car with an empty tank of gas when he left.  >:( )

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Photo Radar
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 06:33:02 pm »
I would send him the picture and ticket and tell him to pay it
But only fack $120 for 19 over the limited :o

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 07:06:46 pm »
I guess you don't get demerit points for getting caught by Photo radar?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 07:10:58 pm »
Are you kidding me?  You have to even ask??

Send him the bill....just like if you rang up a bill on HIS car you wouldn't be offended paying it...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 07:11:38 pm »
I would definitely mention it to both of them, and wait for a response.  If there's no offer to cover it, you can then suggest that they rent a car next time they're in town, because yours will be off-limits.

I'm the type that would certainly pay you, but that's just me.  

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 07:12:59 pm »
I agree, I would send the ticket to the bro-in-law and I would probably include a "humorous" comment to lighten the tone a bit. Something like "I'm more than happy to loan you my car and let you burn up my gas, but speeding tickets are "over to you" good buddy".  ;)

2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 07:15:35 pm »
I would start by paying it myself (don't need those unpaid tickets on my record), but I'd send him a copy, with note that he's a pretty camera-friendly guy.

It's unlikely that he's even aware of it, being photo radar.  I'd be embarrassed if I were him, I'd apologize, and pay you back immediately.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 07:21:08 pm »
Send him a copy in a funny Hallmark card with a note.

"Cash only please."

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 08:06:26 pm »
I would definitely mention it to both of them, and wait for a response.  If there's no offer to cover it, you can then suggest that they rent a car next time they're in town, because yours will be off-limits.

I'm the type that would certainly pay you, but that's just me.  

:iagree: and get a hotel room.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 08:21:54 pm »
79 in a 60 zone is still breaking the law.   He should man up and pay the fine.  Include a service charge for the gas.  :D

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 08:53:25 pm »
It's a family style pickle to be sure.  However, your brother-in-law is responsible for the mess so he should clean it up and reimburse you.  I think the idea of you paying it up front is the best course of action for your legal self preservation.  Getting your wife to speak to her sister is a good way to go about it, given that it is her family.

As far as the gas goes, well I think you might have to eat that one but for what it's worth, he is in the wrong there too.  Does he normally behave like that with other people's stuff?  If so, it sounds like he is at best a bit thoughtless and at worst, a leech.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 08:58:18 pm »
Make him pay, short debts make long friends.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 09:48:57 pm »
Some new info from my wife (who was also in the car when they got the ticket): it happened on a day that I was using my wife's truck, so her sister and brother-in-law were using my car to come pick her up at work. Since they were basically running errands for us, it now seems kind of cheap to ask them to pay.

Since it's my wife's family, I'll let her deal with it. She's going to tell her sister about the ticket, but is planning to joke about it and refuse to let them pay.

Anyway, they're decent people, so I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to pay. As for the gas, I wouldn't be surprised if they had offered to fill the tank, but my wife told them to forget about it. She has some funny (i.e. extremely gracious) notions about what it means to be hosting guests.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 09:52:40 pm »
^^^^When can I come over for a visit????   ;D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 09:54:29 pm »
Oh that clears things up more... I was going to comment on the gas.

I borrow cars and go like 50km and put $5 in because gas is so damn expensive these days.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 10:15:58 pm »
Some new info from my wife (who was also in the car when they got the ticket): it happened on a day that I was using my wife's truck, so her sister and brother-in-law were using my car to come pick her up at work. Since they were basically running errands for us, it now seems kind of cheap to ask them to pay.

Since they were basically running errands for us, it now seems kind of cheap to ask them to pay.

So if they drove your car into a brick wall while running errands for you that is also ok? I'd have no troubles asking him to pay, I don't care who it is.

When you use somebody elses car, you pay for gas and what ever else happens....its the unwritten rule I thought.  ::)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 10:16:51 pm »
I guess you don't get demerit points for getting caught by Photo radar?

Nope. Nobody cares who was driving the car. All they want is their money.

If work isn't too busy that morning, I'll probably go to court and hope it gets thrown out. The first (and only) time I got one of these, the photo radar operator didn't bother to show up in court, meaning the ticket was thrown out and I paid nothing.

Note that I said "photo radar operator" and not "police officer". Around here, it's a private company that runs the photo radar, not the police.

If those bastards want my money, they can damn well come to court and earn it.

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 10:39:36 pm »
Given the circumstances, I'd pay the bill but insist the BIL take me out for a nice steak dinner -- with drinks -- next time in town.

It's easier paying someone back a bit when you are enjoying yourself doing it.  ;)

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 11:52:00 pm »
Given the circumstances, I'd pay the bill but insist the BIL take me out for a nice steak dinner -- with drinks -- next time in town.

It's easier paying someone back a bit when you are enjoying yourself doing it.  ;)
:iagree:

This sounds like the best option to me...

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 04:20:38 am »
Note that I said "photo radar operator" and not "police officer". Around here, it's a private company that runs the photo radar, not the police.

Yay! For once we're off the hook and not being called every name under the sun!

Ask him to pay it. Any self-respecting person would without a second thought.
Everyone hates us until they need us.