Author Topic: Back from Seoul South Korea  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Back from Seoul South Korea
« on: September 06, 2008, 08:46:52 pm »
I just returned from a week in Seoul Korea today and I am posting some pics of Korean cars spotted and rode in whilst I was there. We were chauffeured around in a Opirus all week which is essentially a Kia Amanti over here. They are very roomy with comfortable seats (we all usually fell asleep in the car by the time we made it back to the hotel at night) although the exterior styling is a bit of mis-mash.
The traffic for the most part was horrendous. So much so that 50% of the cars on the road have 7” GPS units with entertainment (TV programs) on their dashboards to watch while they are stuck in traffic. Over here we think that cell phones are distracting, try driving while watching the equivalent of Korean ‘Bay watch’ in the middle of the windshield!

A large portion of the larger vehicles built in Korea are not shipped to the NA market although a few share mechanicals with others that do, only from a different manufacturer. For example, the Samsung SM5 which is based on a Nissan Maxima chassis which is also shared with a Renault chassis not available here. The Samsung SM5 (silver colored car parked next to the Bentley parked at our hotel) is a nice looking vehicle but the SM7 is a lovely looking car and I am sure would do well in NA.

A really nice looking vehicle is the Hyundai Genesis (the silver ¾ shot) without a Hyundai badge on it the trunk it looks to be more a German marque as far as styling. The top end of the Hyundai brand is the Equus and it’s the most luxurious sedan they make and I believe that it is also the largest Korean automobile made. Apparently this vehicle will be imported into the states very soon.

The Daewoo Chairman is also another very large Korean vehicle not sold outside Korea and is based on Mercedes Benz E class platform with Benz engine, transmission, and design.

Even though gasoline ranges from 1.80 to 2.00/ltr, Koreans like their large domestic luxury brands from KIA, Samsung and Hyundai and, they like them in the color black which is associated with power.

In the whole week I was there traveling between 1 hr and 2hrs per day (one way I might add) and that time frame I saw only 2 Hondas, I Saab, 1 VW Beetle, 1 Volvo, a few BMW 7 series, an Audi A4’ here an there, 2 Chrysler 300’s, 1 Dodge Nitro, 1 new Mustang a couple of Bentley’s and a Ferrari. Foreign cars being taxed heavier than domestics being the main reason for the small numbers.
Of all the imports there Mercedes vehicles seem to be the most popular.

Hard to find an old car on the road in Seoul but there are lots of ‘junker’ trucks.

Having visited HK and a few cities China Seoul seems to be a city where I think I could actually drive. Not as much of a free-for-all like in China aside from right turns being allowed on red signals.

Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

vdk

Re: Back from Seoul South Korea
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 08:52:58 pm »
Well, welcome back on Canadian soil :):cheers:
I agree with you on the Genesis' design, it does not look like a Hyundai for sure.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 01:47:24 am »
Welcome back Railton and thanks for posting these...very interesting.

The Chairman looks like a Mercury Marquis!

The Genesis got a great write-up in this months MotorTrendy...they compared it to a Chrysler 300...an E-Class...a 5 Series...and a Lexus GS.

The bottom line was the prediction that it would give Lexus a taste of it's own medicine - The Genesis provides a lot of value in the same way the Lexus LS aimed to give us an S-Class for a lot less than an S-Class.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 01:16:41 pm »
Well, welcome back on Canadian soil :):cheers:
I agree with you on the Genesis' design, it does not look like a Hyundai for sure.
Thanks. I held off sleeping till about 9:30 last night then slept in till after 10:00 this morning. Neighbor woke we up to tell me the street party had been cancelled due to rain. Back to sleep.Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Railton

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 03:44:45 pm »
Welcome back T and thanks for the write up and pics.

IMO North America should tax Korean brand cars regardless where they are assembled at he same level they tax foreign imports to make a level playing field.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 04:02:08 pm »

IMO North America should tax Korean brand cars regardless where they are assembled at he same level they tax foreign imports to make a level playing field.

To be clear: the red "they"  means the Korean Government right?

Just for your interest the Chinese gov has just last month increased the tax or import duty( not clear which) on import cars with engines >3 litres. This probably makes the CAW happy as most cars produced here are over 3 litres.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 04:22:33 pm »

To be clear: the red "they"  means the Korean Government right?

Just for your interest the Chinese gov has just last month increased the tax or import duty( not clear which) on import cars with engines >3 litres. This probably makes the CAW happy as most cars produced here are over 3 litres.

They…. meaning any government that imposes taxes on imports to interfere with a free market.

vdk

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 12:51:27 am »
Europe used and AFAIK still does have outrageous taxes on imported models ie. Models made outside the EU...

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 12:52:56 am »
Nice pictures!  Thanks for sharing with us!