Author Topic: Blame everybody else  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Blame everybody else
« on: September 06, 2008, 03:34:55 pm »
I have been following this story from the beginning and now this:

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/492037

Blame everybody else but as a father there is nothing wrong with buying your son an S4 with a history of driving convictions and bad behaviour.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Re: Blame everybody else
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 03:38:23 pm »
Hmmm.

Blame McGuinty because his son got hammered and then drove?  I guess that's easier than looking in the mirror.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 03:43:51 pm »
At least the little :censor: didn't kill someone other than his idiot friends and himself.  Hope they give the dad a bill for fixing the guardrail.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 03:52:58 pm »
The Dad is one of those total :censor: artists that sells motivational selling garbage and "take control of your life" books/tapes/yadda-yadda based on his time in other businesses.  Now it's weight loss and other junk.  Well, maybe he should have taken a couple minutes out from making money and actually parenting.  Bad kid?  Throw :censor: at him!  Buy him stuff so that he'll like you.

:censor:' hypocrite swerver.  He can take his campaign and shove it up his ass.  Let's start a new campaign...

"Stop 20 year old jerk offs from taking Daddy's expensive car, driving drunk, and endangering lives."

Dad should just shut the :censor: up, now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:55:51 pm by johngenx »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 03:59:49 pm »
 :iagree:
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 04:41:55 pm »
Put the drinking age down to 14 and the driving ( and voting ) age up to 21.   let kids get used to the affects of alcohol long before they get to drive.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 05:15:39 pm »
there is a "private drinking age"   In Canada?   Apart from the general thing about giving booze to infants under 5 or something like that? 

i thought that parents could give their kids a glass of wine at any reasonable age.

There is a problem with putting the driving age much past the school leaving age I know. 

suds.1a

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 07:59:52 pm »
hopefully,u have a  :) for your lasts posts.
if not. what? whisky for the kiddies.?
i get it .get them drunk before they drive. ???
so they can get used to that as well. >:(
new test on the drivers test. :popo:see how much they can drink before they hit another car.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 08:06:38 pm »
hopefully,u have a  :) for your lasts posts.
if not. what? whisky for the kiddies.?
i get it .get them drunk before they drive. ???
so they can get used to that as well. >:(
new test on the drivers test. :popo:see how much they can drink before they hit another car.
WTF  ::) ::)

Nothing wrong with teaching social responsibility early, and in a controlled environment.  Much better than saving all exposure to alcohol to when they can go out and buy as much as they want with no parents around for guidance...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

suds.1a

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 08:20:04 pm »
sorry, just bob if joke turned to bad taste.
but drinking age is a lot higher then 14 here in canada.
let the kids get used to the affects of alcohol long before they get to drive.
is not ever been said by me. 
check your source.

vdk

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 08:45:45 pm »
Put the drinking age down to 14 and the driving ( and voting ) age up to 21.   let kids get used to the affects of alcohol long before they get to drive.

Agree. I'm young enough to see 18, 19 yr olds who haven't seen alcohol before get hammered because they just don't know how/how much to drink... that's no fun! Drinking is part of life, like it or not, we need to teach teenagers what it means to drink responsibly and you can't do that if they haven't had a sip of alcohol until they turned 19.

And while I'm sorry for his loss, it's all daddy's fault for giving his son a fast car... a pedestrian A4 is just not enough these days eh...  ::) Take the blame dad!

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 09:07:21 pm »
Get the kids used to alcohol before driving is probably a European idea.  My spouse who lived in France was drinking with her family long before she got her learner's permit.  I don't think her family let her get pissed drunk.   

Any way, it is up to each individual to know his/her limits and drink responsibly. 

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 10:30:42 pm »
From the Liquor Licence Act of Ontario.........

Rules, persons under 19

30.  (1)  No person shall knowingly sell or supply liquor to a person under nineteen years of age. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (1).

<snip>

Supply by parent

(13)  This section does not apply,

(a) to the supplying of liquor to a person under nineteen years of age in a residence as defined in section 31 or in a private place as defined in the regulations by a parent of the person or a person having lawful custody of the person; or

(b) to the consumption liquor by a person who is supplied liquor in a manner described in clause (a), if the liquor is consumed at the place where it is supplied. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (13).

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 10:41:26 pm by The Fuzz »
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 02:06:37 am »
I don't see where Tim blames McGuinty...all he's suggesting is that the law be changed for those under 21 to no tolerance to speeding and drinking...why is that so bad?

While I believe Tim's business has nothing to do with this, I think that I agree with JohnGenXs conclusion that parents can do a lot to teach some of the things that Tim wishes his son took into consideration.

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 07:46:25 am »
I don't see where Tim blames McGuinty...all he's suggesting is that the law be changed for those under 21 to no tolerance to speeding and drinking...why is that so bad?

The guys above should get reading glasses.   :(

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 08:56:33 am »
So, the father is assuming that a zero tolerance would have made his son stop and think (since 20 years of parenting didn't stick) about the repecussions of losing your licence over drinking and driving. 

How many people lose their licence and are out driving around without it - or worse, uninsured.  Only an issue if you get caught. 

The initial tragedy spin that was cast on this incident - it didn't sit 'right' with me as a situation where there was bad road design, or car failure, although I've never seen so much reporting about the car driven.  Audi Audi Audi.  Audi.  Who cares, but it was repeated regularly for some reason.

I too am glad the carnage was resticted to the participants in the night of debauchery and stupidity.

DADDY DOESNT KNOW BEST likely would be paying for the financial repercussions of that out of his OWN pocket......

Fortune favours the bold!

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 09:44:36 am »

Well, no, he isn't specifically blaming McGuinty.

But he is saying that he wants the law to take over, because he failed to teach his son properly.  He wants us (society) to do his job.  Since drinking and driving is already an offense, why does he think tweaking it would make any difference, when his son obviously ignored the law in the first place?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 10:47:32 am »
While I believe Tim's business has nothing to do with this, I think that I agree with JohnGenXs conclusion that parents can do a lot to teach some of the things that Tim wishes his son took into consideration.

I live among people just like this.  They are wealthy and their adult children are total shits, drinking and driving and crashing their expensive cars.  Most of them are making nothing of their lives 'cause they have not been parented.  they have no idea of what it is like to make their own way.  They have not been given any self reliance skills.  The parents spend all their time making money, and then use that money to "parent" and sooth their guilt by buying stuff for the kids, like an Audi S4.

So, his business does have a lot to do with it.  If he spent less time at it, and more time parenting, things probably would have turned out better.

Now, people from all socio-economic groups can be poor parents, but where I live (no poor folks) the middle class people that sacrifice their careers somewhat tend to have great kids that become great people, while the rich folks spend a lot of their spare time bailing their kids out of jail.  Kids need time, not fancy cars.

Tim should take out a full page ad:

"Parents of young children, please spend as much time with your children as possible and be a great role model for them.  Show them through your actions about personal responsibility.  Grow with them as they become adults and by being a terrific and responsible person, they will know no other way.  Control their peer group.  If the school is filled with spoiled shits, move.  Keep them involved in activities where they meet the "right" sort of kids."

And so on.  We don't need laws to keep that kid off the road.  We need parents and communities.  He should man-up and admit he was a lousy parent and stop asking for new laws.  It is ALREADY against the law to drink and drive, no matter how old or young.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 06:45:40 am »
If I lived among people like that I'd move ASAP.

dorin

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 10:02:34 am »
Enough already!  Ultimately the only people responsible for drinking too much and then driving to boot are the idiots who do it.

Yes, there is always room to improve the law but most of those improvements would be in simplifying and reducing the details and laws we already have.  We're already too legislated and no amount of legislation will ever rid us of stupidity.

As for this Tim guy he's an idiot too.  Grief and regret at being a crap father does not give him any right to legislate other people's lives.