Author Topic: Barrie's dream job!  (Read 20014 times)

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Re: Barrie's dream job!
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2008, 09:18:08 pm »
They go Union the companies will just close the plant move it somewhere where they don't have to deal with the Union BS and there go more jobs.

I thought we actually have laws in this country to punish companies who might do that kind of disgusting crap.  All workers have the right to unionize and employers have to deal with the union if that's the case.  I would have nothing but contempt for the Wal-Marts of this world who pull the close-shop crap when their workers unionize. 

What kind of law is that. Its not the same as firing union people and hiring non union. Car companies are closing plants or moving production to other plants or even countries left and right. Owners of factories have the right to close them if the cost of production (union wages or benifits) change. They have the right to not put a factory in an area where they would be forced to hire union workers.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2008, 09:20:35 pm »
They go Union the companies will just close the plant move it somewhere where they don't have to deal with the Union BS and there go more jobs.

I thought we actually have laws in this country to punish companies who might do that kind of disgusting crap.  All workers have the right to unionize and employers have to deal with the union if that's the case.  I would have nothing but contempt for the Wal-Marts of this world who pull the close-shop crap when their workers unionize. 
Arguably in Canada all workers have the right NOT to unionize AND not to be penalized for not joining a Union. Sooner or later the Supremes will re-examine the constitutional right of assembly.

To be argumentative I suggest that civil servants should NOT have the right to unionize ( except for in-house employee associations) and should not have the right to strike.    They are Public SERVANTS... and no one is forced to take the job.

+1 on tpl's comment.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2008, 09:24:46 pm »
They have the right to not put a factory in an area where they would be forced to hire union workers.

Yup...Windsor has missed out on projects (including a new car plant) because they didn't want to deal with our militant unions here.

Oh here's a good one to show the knuckle-heads running the CAW.  The CAW has been begging/pleading/calling the Government names because they wouldn't invest money in a car plant here.  FINALLY the the gov't relents and invests $80 million into the Ford plant.  While I don't agree with gov't propping up businesses like that, I'm glad that some people will be back at work.  So what does the CAW leadership do as a "thank you".  Buzz Hargrove says in a speech "This is what we think of the him (Stephen Harpen)" and he actually flipped the bird.

Cliffs:  Gov't invests $80 million into local economy that will put hundreds back to work, and CAW leadership basically says, with a flip of the fingers, "F-Off".  Great union tactic.  No wonder why we don't get more investment here.  No wonder why the gov't ignores the CAW.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2008, 09:42:34 pm »
The American south has been picking up car plants because they offer massive subsidies (far greater than anything the Ontario government has ever offered) and have passed legislation that makes it impossible for labour to organize.

Up until now the wages have been fairly good. Of course that has been during a time of prosperity. The real test will be how workers are treated during the upcoming recession.

Very disappointed that this thread has been allowed to continue. An entire thread designed to bait barrie. Bravo.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2008, 09:47:57 pm »
Meh....Barrie's not a baby and I don't hear him crying about it....he can give it back as good as he can take it.  I've met Barrie several times at the track while racing and he's a good guy.  He even gave me a can a Delco glass cleaner.  I thought at first he may have re-labelled a can of paint stripper.  :rofl2:   But it was indeed glass cleaner that worked pretty well for removing the shoe polish they use to number the cars....

barrie1

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2008, 11:52:01 pm »
Just like all of the Delco Products I use I know they work extremly well. I am not companining at all about the Woodstock Toyota plant at all. Somebody else is having a mind wander real good to think that. I would like to see them pull out after just spending 100's of millions of dollars just to teach our Unions a lesson. They already announced a 2nd factory for the Hino trucks as well which is another place for the union to jump on as well. Go get em' boys, CAW all the way and then we will have a good standard of car builder who has to play by the Canadian rules.  How many does it take to bait me? You all will never win. :) ;D :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2008, 08:29:36 am »
Who said they would do it to "teach the union a lesson". I think someone has a very warped view (as usual). Like companies make business decsions about 100M plants based on sending messages to unions. Altough the CAQW seems to have no issue making thrats and actions that are a negative for thousands to get a point across.

Like I said with the current economy many manufacturers are closing plants or moving production elswhere. They have to constantly asses where they do things. If the cost of labour and production (don't forget strikes and job actions cost money) change they will take that into consideration when deciding where to move things. As mentioned Windsor has been passed over to put plants in different areas. Like it or not its the way the way the world is and companies don't want to deal with Union hassels.Union is simply not a postive item on the list when looking at new locations. Even the most ardent CAW supporter can't be so blind as to think it is.

barrie1

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2008, 11:17:59 pm »
Many millions of dollars have been raised by the automotive Companies since the turn of the 20th century which have really helped build this Country. The treatment by these companies was the main reason why the Unions had to be formed to begin with. The abuse by them was beyond normal or proper working conditions and the workers finally had enough and Unionized. It would revert back to the unhealthy nonsence if they were to be elimanated as I have witnessed many ridiculous whiteshirts who would turn the working man into a slave if they could.  :(

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2008, 11:27:55 pm »
A little dramatic Barrie.....But hey...given that working on the line is unskilled labour, I can see your fear.  ;D

And lemme guess...the reason they don't treat me our our other employees badly (most tool shops are non-union here) is just because they are so terrified that we might go crying and try to form a union, right?   ::)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2008, 11:28:16 am »
This thread is a total rehash of the union vs non-union topic and has been discussed for over 5 years now. This entire subject has become a joke, a I suggest closing threads like this. Just gets ppls anger all cranked up.  ::) :P

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2008, 02:04:41 pm »
Yeah...let's CONCENTRATE on POLITICS & Religion.......... :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:..the "PEACE DIVIDEND" discuss amongst yerselves.................................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2008, 02:24:27 pm »
Many millions of dollars have been raised by the automotive Companies since the turn of the 20th century which have really helped build this Country. The treatment by these companies was the main reason why the Unions had to be formed to begin with. The abuse by them was beyond normal or proper working conditions and the workers finally had enough and Unionized. It would revert back to the unhealthy nonsence if they were to be elimanated as I have witnessed many ridiculous whiteshirts who would turn the working man into a slave if they could.  :(

Strange that nearly 70% of the Canadian workforce is non unionized (its probaly higher but the only easy data was from 92) How can 70% of the workforce survive being so horribly mistreated? Imagine if unions were elimited and people has to survie what the other 70% had to survive.  How you can continue to show your face after being proven to spew such unsported GARBAGE day afeter day is beyond reason.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2008, 02:41:58 pm »
Here are the latest #
http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/labr69a.htm

You are pretty anger today

barrie has a right to believe in what he wants , as do you toolatecrew
Dont like what he writes , do not read his post
Life is to short, to be anger ;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 06:52:05 pm by airbalancer »

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2008, 02:48:55 pm »
Further to BigThumb's post about plants locating in the Southern US.  Many of those states are 'right to work' states, which means you can be fired with no notice, for no reason, with no severance pay.  And in many of those states, you don't have to be paid vacation pay.

Now, I'm not a member of a union, and never have been, but I'm pretty sure that without unions, we wouldn't have ended up in Canada with 4% minimum vacation pay, and a few odd perks like that.  Furthermore, when I was a student, working in a (non unionized) mine, our boss mentioned that, in many ways, it's easier to have your hourly employees unionized, because then all of the rules are itemized, they're all laid out, everyone is treated the same, and no one expects special treatment.

I'm not saying unions are always good, but they sure aren't always bad.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 02:53:21 pm »
Here are the latest #

Dont like what he writes , do read his post

Everyone can belive as they wish. Its not right to post outright lies as he often does. Stating facts and figures that are wither unreasearch and false or outright LIES is not acceptable.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2008, 02:57:11 pm »
Further to BigThumb's post about plants locating in the Southern US.  Many of those states are 'right to work' states, which means you can be fired with no notice, for no reason, with no severance pay.  And in many of those states, you don't have to be paid vacation pay.

Now, I'm not a member of a union, and never have been, but I'm pretty sure that without unions, we wouldn't have ended up in Canada with 4% minimum vacation pay, and a few odd perks like that.  Furthermore, when I was a student, working in a (non unionized) mine, our boss mentioned that, in many ways, it's easier to have your hourly employees unionized, because then all of the rules are itemized, they're all laid out, everyone is treated the same, and no one expects special treatment.

I'm not saying unions are always good, but they sure aren't always bad.

No one is saying that unions are 100% bad. But this theory that the sky will fall and we will al be turned into slave labour if you don't unionize is complete crap. I've never been unionized. I am trated very well by my employer and make a decent wage. My company has never been unionized not threatened to unionize. I've worked places where I felt I was treated poorly. I found another job and left.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 03:14:37 pm »
Here are the latest #

Dont like what he writes , do read his post

Everyone can belive as they wish. Its not right to post outright lies as he often does. Stating facts and figures that are wither unreasearch and false or outright LIES is not acceptable.
If you believe in what you are writing, are they lies ???

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2008, 03:31:51 pm »
To the writer, blinding'ly speaking, no. To everyone else, yes. Lies aren't true, regardless who believes in them. 

We want facts to backup a statement.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2008, 03:34:39 pm »
Just gets ppls anger all cranked up.  ::) :P

If you get angry reading a thread on a car forum....you probably should be visiting a therapist...regularly.... ;D

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »
Probably right, and there are some ppl on here that should do that......