Author Topic: Barrie's dream job!  (Read 20021 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Barrie's dream job!
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 06:00:34 am »
Ok.So my innocent question that was NOT knocking GM in any way whatsoever provokes a stream of stuff about GM quality.     I guess nobody knows or even has any ideas about the Japanese governments and cars from outside Japan.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 11:31:13 am »
Ok.So my innocent question that was NOT knocking GM in any way whatsoever provokes a stream of stuff about GM quality.     I guess nobody knows or even has any ideas about the Japanese governments and cars from outside Japan.

Yep, it appears the "Pro-GM Defender at all Costs Machine" is locked on the "Spew Invective" setting and rusted shut.  ::) ::)

The world goes on regardless.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 11:34:40 am by ovr50 »
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

FiestaTT

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 05:43:22 pm »
I'm not quite sure how anybody can take GM seriously. Honda Civic eating up way to much of the economy car pie? Fear The CAVALIER! Right ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 06:08:47 pm »
the GM site states that Japan is effectively closed to non-Japanese care makers.   I would really like to have that explained in all its ( undoubtedly) complex economic,political,WTO type detail.    Does it mean that if GM wished to build a factory in Japan as they have in China, that they would not be permitted? Does it mean that Japan has quotas for non-Japanese cars?  Inquiring minds need to know.

I know it's not closed for non-Japanese car sales.  I even saw a review of a new CTS-V from a Japanese car reviewer.  I also know that the GMs are priced similarly to the Euro competitors and are taxed the same.

The factory part?  Dunno. 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 06:31:30 pm »
the GM site states that Japan is effectively closed to non-Japanese care makers.   I would really like to have that explained in all its ( undoubtedly) complex economic,political,WTO type detail.    Does it mean that if GM wished to build a factory in Japan as they have in China, that they would not be permitted? Does it mean that Japan has quotas for non-Japanese cars?  Inquiring minds need to know.

I know it's not closed for non-Japanese car sales.  I even saw a review of a new CTS-V from a Japanese car reviewer.  I also know that the GMs are priced similarly to the Euro competitors and are taxed the same.

The factory part?  Dunno. 

Exactly. I have seen the figures as well  and thats why I want an explanation of the GM comments. Not the CAW but GM themselves made that statement.  I think that very few countries will turn down inward investment and job creation.... North Korea, Myanmar maybe?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 06:33:17 pm by tpl »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 06:48:03 pm »
^^^^GM accused Japan of that (and propping the dollar) and tried to bring a case to the WTO.  The WTO (and the US government for that matter) said it didn't exist, so STFU.  I dunno though.

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 01:41:08 am »
"Truthiness is what you want the facts to be, as opposed to what the facts are. What feels like the right answer as opposed to what reality will support." 
- Stephen Colbert

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 05:00:35 am »
I dunno if this helps but my friend's 2003 Toyota Highlander just blew its head gasket at 130,000 km.  Parts and labour $2,300 + Towing $300.  Total cost $2,600.  ;)

+ stress. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:02:09 am by duck »

barrie1

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 03:32:12 pm »
THats right Rocket you really don't know anything about it at all. I would like you to prove to all of us that the North American vehicles are allowed into Japan just the same as their products are allowed into our Country. Even when you find out why they are not i know dam well you will not admit the truth at all. Most of the others on here who say the same have absolutely No clue which shows by the comments they make. Its not only GM that states this if you have ever read the world news deep enough as this probelm has been going on for years. Writing a review about any vehicle does not mean they allow boat loads of them into their country at all. That proves absolutely nothing at all as I can write a reveiw myself and probably half of the automotive world will disagree with some if not all of the article. If I were you I would get the facts straight before you put your foot into your mouth any deeper as why isen't there any plants even there then when they have plants in many other Countries. The World trade centre in Geneva has had many complaints regarding the unfair business practises that Japan has used for years. They still won't open their doors to the manufacturers from other nations at all. TPL you have asked some excellent questions but I do think you also wonder why the GM bashing is going on as well. You are correct in wondering just what these folks that do it have to hide because it sure isen't the truth they are hiding. Only 130,000 km and a blown headgasket, I wonder what the cause of that was as its basically only 5 years old and thats not much milage at all.  Instead of bashing GM why not try to find out the real truth instead of being alwys wrong about it especially when they occasionally put wages in your pocket. You are a very ungrateful employee. :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 04:30:15 pm »
Barrie.  I may never buy a GM car but I see no point in "bashing" them as I have no experience of owning one.

But I want to hear from GM, the CAW, the Government or whoever  EXACTLY the chapter and verse of these Japanese trade restrictions.  Not opinion but the actual FACTS of where and how these restrictions are applied so that I may judge for myself what is going on and who is right.  Is it duties? tariffs? Local construction and use regulations ( like Canada's bumper laws  ;)  )  or local content restrictions on cars sold there.     I do not understand why the CAW, instead of just ranting on about it, does not lay out these exact problems. I believe they might get more support from people if they told us EXACTLY what the problem is.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 04:33:42 pm »
Taken from a JAMA website, a paper given several years ago:

In addition to producing more than one vehicle in Canada for every one sold, Canada has been a net exporter of Japanese badged vehicles since 1994, as exports from Canadian plants have exceeded imports from Japan, the U.S. and Mexico. What's more, Japanese automakers have been increasing their purchases from Canadian suppliers, and with current expansions substantial new business opportunities will likely more than double current levels of activity.

Furthermore, these expanding operations in Canada have encouraged more auto parts investment from Japan. Over the past year, eight companies have announced new auto parts plants in Canada.* Also, NAFTA content levels have been increasing as a result of continuing localization of suppliers. At the same time, imports of auto parts from Japan by non-Auto Pact companies dropped 15.4% in 1996 over the previous year, in spite of the fact that tariffs on imported auto parts were reduced to zero at the beginning of 1996 by the Government of Canada. In a nutshell, all these changes mean more investment and more jobs for Canada and Canadians.

Does this help anyone? It would seem that Canada is a NET EXPORTER of Japanese badged vehiclers, not a net importer.

That would seem to me to be significant to the endless argument that Japanese cars are sold here, but no/few American cars are sold in Japan. Maybe the Japanese customer doesn't like American cars? Or maybe they have too many, better local choices? Or maybe the typical American car is too big, and too costly for Japanese cities/towns?

Maybe....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 09:53:06 pm »
For sure most NA midsized cars just don't fit in the crowded bits of Japan and have engines far too big that use too much gas.   But that doesn't answer the question about the Japanese government.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 09:55:23 pm »

Does this help anyone? It would seem that Canada is a NET EXPORTER of Japanese badged vehiclers, not a net importer.

Yea..I had mentioned that before.  Not only that...but Toyota is the only NET EXPORTER of ANY car company in Canada.....

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2008, 06:56:02 am »
Taken from a JAMA website, a paper given several years ago:

In addition to producing more than one vehicle in Canada for every one sold, Canada has been a net exporter of Japanese badged vehicles since 1994, as exports from Canadian plants have exceeded imports from Japan, the U.S. and Mexico. What's more, Japanese automakers have been increasing their purchases from Canadian suppliers, and with current expansions substantial new business opportunities will likely more than double current levels of activity.

Furthermore, these expanding operations in Canada have encouraged more auto parts investment from Japan. Over the past year, eight companies have announced new auto parts plants in Canada.* Also, NAFTA content levels have been increasing as a result of continuing localization of suppliers. At the same time, imports of auto parts from Japan by non-Auto Pact companies dropped 15.4% in 1996 over the previous year, in spite of the fact that tariffs on imported auto parts were reduced to zero at the beginning of 1996 by the Government of Canada. In a nutshell, all these changes mean more investment and more jobs for Canada and Canadians.

That would seem to me to be significant to the endless argument that Japanese cars are sold here, but no/few American cars are sold in Japan. Maybe the Japanese customer doesn't like American cars? Or maybe they have too many, better local choices? Or maybe the typical American car is too big, and too costly for Japanese cities/towns?

Maybe....

Yes it does help someone. It helps the 1000s of people employed in Canada in production of Japanese based companies vehicles. People who would be draining the unemployment money of Canada if those jobs were not there becuase there are no jobs to be had wioth the big 3 who have cut thousands of jobs.

All the whining the CAW union and their minions do about how Japan restircts imports is pointless. Even if it were true (which I'm not saying it is) the impact on vehicle PRODUCTION in Canada would be likley next to nothing. If a huge market opens up in Japan or China etc a company will build the plant either close to the market or in a low cost producing country. They aren't going to buiold plants in Canada at high labour (and in the case of CAW benifit rates) so they can then plunk more $s in costs on top of that to ship to Japan.

Its a smokscreen by the CAW or anyone else who screams Don't by "imports" you'll ruin the economy. GM sales are NOT in the toilet in NA because Toyota and Honda have cheaper cars. The big 3 with their discounts etc are always "cheaper" but don't sell well. They don't make profits becuase they HAVE to sell cheaper to sell.

None of this is tied to whther GM or other companies can sell cars in Japan. This is about the domestic market and the FACT is that Forigen companies employ a lot of people at above average wages in Canada.

barrie1

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 07:55:33 pm »
Another person blames the CAW but really dosen't know the real answer as well. The new Toyota plant which is opening in Woodstock has just dropped around 1000 jobs even before it opens and the Unions are already taking applications from the workers that are there as well. Camy is Unionized and has been for years also. I was at a carshow in Lambeth a wek back with some uys who work at Honda in Alliston Ont plant. They are starting to think about Unionizing as well because of the Nonsence and BS they are being forced to work with. Who gonna blame when they all go Union. This is no foreigh car builders with a facory in Japan at all. Why is that as they are all over the world but there. Gov Protectionism is the answer which has the rest of them locked out. Why do I knock the Imports, the 2 worst cars I ever had were actually British. A Jag XJ12L and a 1952 Morris Minor. Why do some of you knock my faverite brand especially when most of you have never even had one.  :(

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 08:27:26 pm »
Another person blames the CAW but really dosen't know the real answer as well. The new Toyota plant which is opening in Woodstock has just dropped around 1000 jobs even before it opens and the Unions are already taking applications from the workers that are there as well. Camy is Unionized and has been for years also. I was at a carshow in Lambeth a wek back with some uys who work at Honda in Alliston Ont plant. They are starting to think about Unionizing as well because of the Nonsence and BS they are being forced to work with. Who gonna blame when they all go Union. This is no foreigh car builders with a facory in Japan at all. Why is that as they are all over the world but there. Gov Protectionism is the answer which has the rest of them locked out. Why do I knock the Imports, the 2 worst cars I ever had were actually British. A Jag XJ12L and a 1952 Morris Minor. Why do some of you knock my faverite brand especially when most of you have never even had one.  :(

They go Union the companies will just close the plant move it somewhere where they don't have to deal with the Union BS and there go more jobs.

Its interesting you compain about no forigen car builders in Japan. How soes that impact jobs in CANADA? Answer not at all.

Intersting you compalin about the NEW Toyota plant having a 1000 less jobs when they at least have a new pant and GM is closing plants all over the place. Even if its only 1000 instead of 2000 jobs its still much better than putting 1000s out of work like the beloved GM

dorin

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2008, 10:18:06 am »
They go Union the companies will just close the plant move it somewhere where they don't have to deal with the Union BS and there go more jobs.

I thought we actually have laws in this country to punish companies who might do that kind of disgusting crap.  All workers have the right to unionize and employers have to deal with the union if that's the case.  I would have nothing but contempt for the Wal-Marts of this world who pull the close-shop crap when their workers unionize. 

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2008, 10:20:21 am »
Its weird how the conversation seems to shift around from unions to quality and all over the place.

Interesting the talk about unions for Toyota and Honda. I know that one union vote was put off in Cambridge but that they would try again. Even then it didn't sound like they had full support of the workers.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:22:50 am by IceAndFire »

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2008, 09:03:01 pm »
I'm allowed to knock.  I've had GM's and that's all my parents ever drove growing up.  :)  My Dad actually had a 78 LeSabre and the damn thing kept going and going and going.  The body rusted out before the engine gave out. The only problem I ever recall from it when it was fairly new was a faulty distributer. 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2008, 09:08:35 pm »

I thought we actually have laws in this country to punish companies who might do that kind of disgusting crap.  All workers have the right to unionize and employers have to deal with the union if that's the case.  I would have nothing but contempt for the Wal-Marts of this world who pull the close-shop crap when their workers unionize. 
Arguably in Canada all workers have the right NOT to unionize AND not to be penalized for not joining a Union. Sooner or later the Supremes will re-examine the constitutional right of assembly.

To be argumentative I suggest that civil servants should NOT have the right to unionize ( except for in-house employee associations) and should not have the right to strike.    They are Public SERVANTS... and no one is forced to take the job.