Author Topic: Driving Trip Fall 2008: Options  (Read 1460 times)

Xpress

Driving Trip Fall 2008: Options
« on: September 01, 2008, 05:13:58 pm »
Hello ladies and gentleman,
I frequent these forums daily (along with Canadian Driver) but have never posted...
I decided today I would start contributing!

On with the topic...
My friends and I are driving enthusiasts.  We have a group consisting of 3-7 cars (depending who can get time off) including a GTI Fahrenheit, 135i, M3, Cayman S, 325ci, TT, 599gtb (rarely)...

Towards the end of September we are taking another TopGear-esque driving trip, and have narrowed it down to the Cabot trail, and the Gaspé.

Have any of you driven these routes?  I've heard nothing but good things, and whichever is not selected will be done spring of 09... 

Any input would be great!

And if anybody is interested in joining, send me a PM or post up!

Thanks!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: Driving Trip Fall 2008: Options
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 05:43:44 pm »
I drove the Cabot Trail twice, once in 1975 and again in 2004. It's an impressive drive, stunning scenery and would be great in Sept when many tourists have gone home. Weather should stil be decent, I would think.

Never driven the Gaspe region.

I would recommend the Cabot Trail, but hopefully, some posters from the Maritimes can add better info. Your trip sounds like fun.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 06:10:05 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

The last time I was on the Gaspe, the roads were pretty poor, and the selection of places to stay was limited. It has been a few years though.

My preference is the Cabot Trail. The roads are better and a better selection of places to stay. The views are awesome! The Baddeck area is a good spot to use as a base camp, with good B&Bs and hotels. The rest of the island can be done in day trips from there.

Enjoy yourselves!
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 07:00:33 pm »
I have travelled the Cabot Trail several times.  Spectacular scenery, but I understand that this year the roads are in bad shape.  I don't know how much faith to put in that, I read it on www.cbc.ca/ns on some discussisons.

I understand from family members that the Gaspe is also spectacular, but I have no first hand experience.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

vdk

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 09:04:50 pm »
Hello and welcome!  :hello:

Just got back from NS 2 weeks, quite the trip from Toronto.

The Cabot Trail's God's masterpiece, it's just amazing, the park entrance is $19.95 and the roads are great (the best on the island). Thing is, unless you guys will have a midnight run, I wouldn't recommend driving sporty along the trail, lots and lots of tourists, caravans RVs and lookout spots, just too risky. Plus the road is wet/misty most of the time.

I will include a few pics, so you can make up your mind yourself. The road itself is a blast. Haven't had that much fun going 60-80 in a long long time.

Oh, you might want to tell you friend not to go to Sydney if he has to adjust his VeeDub.  ;)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 09:08:16 pm »
I've been on the Cabot trail as a passenger in the family minivan many years ago.  It was a fantastic road and thinking back I think it'd be allot of fun to drive.  Its well traveled so you won't have lots of wide open roads but its a great scenic drive if thats what you and your friends are after.

I don't know the other road at all so I can't compare for you.

Xpress

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:55:53 am »
Thanks you all so much for your responses!

(Great pics too by the way!)

We've decided to hit the Gaspé this fall, and tackle the Cabot next spring...
Apparently most of the Gaspé was redone within the last 2 years, and its better then ever...
I can't pass up fresh tarmac!

I'll be sure to provide plenty of pics!

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 08:57:54 am »
I have travelled the Cabot Trail several times.  Spectacular scenery, but I understand that this year the roads are in bad shape.  I don't know how much faith to put in that, I read it on www.cbc.ca/ns on some discussisons.

Not sure how much I put in that either, but Rodney (our beloved Premier  ::)) has promised to fix up all the roads in NS. We'll see.

I've never done the Gaspe, but I will be doing the Cabot in mid October again. It's such a beautiful scenic drive. It's well worth it.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 11:09:32 am »
"In Rod We Trust"