Author Topic: Camaro vs. Challanger vs. Mustang  (Read 22602 times)

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
Re: Camaro vs. Challanger vs. Mustang
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 12:08:51 pm »
I'd take the Mustang Bullitt Package in green at $31,760. That's around $8,000 or 20% below MSRP, a decent deal in my opinion. For that kind of money I'd be looking at second hand C6 Corvettes if I was in the market for some American "muscle", though.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 12:54:18 pm »
I am a big Mustang fan, but I really like the Challenger and the Camaro too, so it would be a tough choice...
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 01:13:49 pm »
Challenger - it's a sexy beast.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 10:32:26 pm »

The Mustang doesn't really light my fire.  Maybe it's too common already,

That will be the Challenger and Camaro...next year....

For the money?  Me?  I'd take the new Hyundai Genesis Coupe....(with the turbo)

Yessir... based on early reports, I think I'd go Genesis route too... but if I had to choose between the three mentioned, I'd probably go Camaro.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 11:52:36 pm »
I would take a modded BMW 135i over the 3 mentioned cars any day.

But if had to choose one ...

barrie1

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 12:08:50 am »
I would take the New Camaro because if I wanted to mod it up it will be the cheapest one to build the most Hp out of between the 3 of them.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 12:37:42 am »

Yea...but just to get a 1 Series is an ass-load of money....let alone the modding part...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 12:45:40 am »

Yea...but just to get a 1 Series is an ass-load of money....let alone the modding part...

:iagree:

"Affordable" is part of what a pony car is.  The Hyundai Genesis Coupe is the only import I can think of that fits my definition of a pony car (affordable to the middle class, four seats, two doors, RWD, everyday-friendly ride quality, and fast in a straight line).

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 01:08:46 am »
Even with a lower MSRP, insurance and fuel cost isn't cheap for any pony car.

Mitlov

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 02:43:17 am »
Even with a lower MSRP, insurance and fuel cost isn't cheap for any pony car.

...and yet, it's still within range of the middle class.  It requires saving up to get one, and some other sacrifices as well, but it's still within reach for many middle-class Americans (not sure how much Canada differs here).  The Mustang is ludicrously popular in Medford, Oregon.  And the people who drive them certainly could not afford Bimmers.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 09:26:16 am »
A lot of Mustangs around here, mostly GTs.

The difference between the $34k GT and the $42k I35i buys a lot of hop up parts. The Roush 427 is right around $48k US and is bloody quick.

I very much doubt that Mustang folks and BMW folks cross shop very much.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Mitlov

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 11:12:11 am »
The difference between the $34k GT and the $42k I35i buys a lot of hop up parts.

Not to mention, from what I've seen, a BMW's MSRP is a firm price and a Ford's MSRP is the start of a negotiating process.  The real life price gap is much wider than $8k.  Yes, the BMW folks will point out that it will depreciate slower, but that only matters if (1) you can pay cash, or (2) you're leasing.  If you're financing the car, especially if you're planning on keeping it a long time, the interest accruing on that additional ten grand or so is going to come back to haunt you a lot more than depreciation will.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 01:33:06 pm »
The difference between the $34k GT and the $42k I35i buys a lot of hop up parts.

Not to mention, from what I've seen, a BMW's MSRP is a firm price and a Ford's MSRP is the start of a negotiating process.  The real life price gap is much wider than $8k.  Yes, the BMW folks will point out that it will depreciate slower, but that only matters if (1) you can pay cash, or (2) you're leasing.  If you're financing the car, especially if you're planning on keeping it a long time, the interest accruing on that additional ten grand or so is going to come back to haunt you a lot more than depreciation will.

Good point. 

The negotiating has hit an all time high on the Stangs right now I think too.  One of my new neighbours showed up a few weeks ago with a gleaming black GT with a Roush "Stage II" package right from the dealer.  From the time he ordered it to the time it was delivered a few weeks later, Ford Canada increased the rebates on the car and when he picked it up, he was also handed a cheque for another few grand off!  It's a lot of mean-lookin' car for not a whole lotta money.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 08:53:34 pm »
If History repeats itself Mustang will be the only one around in 5 years. First to fall off will be the Challenger if Chrysler even exists in 2 years.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2008, 02:35:50 am »
But what's even better about the Mustang is there are a HUGE number of turbo/supercharger kits available that bump the power output to 425+ on the STOCK block.  Mighty impressive.  I would consider buy a used 2005+ Mustang a putting a turbo kit in it.  Would be good bang for the buck...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2008, 03:33:17 pm »

Good point. 

The negotiating has hit an all time high on the Stangs right now I think too.  One of my new neighbours showed up a few weeks ago with a gleaming black GT with a Roush "Stage II" package right from the dealer.  From the time he ordered it to the time it was delivered a few weeks later, Ford Canada increased the rebates on the car and when he picked it up, he was also handed a cheque for another few grand off!  It's a lot of mean-lookin' car for not a whole lotta money.

Ha ha, and they wouldn't even let me look in the freakin' thing!  I must look dodgy...  :hide:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2008, 10:14:30 am »
Ha ha, and they wouldn't even let me look in the freakin' thing!  I must look dodgy...  :hide:

I've seen your pics, I wouldn't let you in either. :stick: :run:

Dealers are dealers. Some are good, some are bad regardless of brand. Whatareyagonnado...

When I was still in university (talk about dodgy looking!), the local Ford-Lincoln dealer had no trouble giving me the keys to a Mustang GT convertible. The local Toyota dealer wouldn't let me near a base Celica. The Honda salesguy split the difference by riding along when I looked at a CRX.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2008, 11:37:18 am »

I've seen your pics, I wouldn't let you in either. :stick: :run:

Dealers are dealers. Some are good, some are bad regardless of brand. Whatareyagonnado...

When I was still in university (talk about dodgy looking!), the local Ford-Lincoln dealer had no trouble giving me the keys to a Mustang GT convertible. The local Toyota dealer wouldn't let me near a base Celica. The Honda salesguy split the difference by riding along when I looked at a CRX.

I'm stil reeling from being given a Z4 for the DAY, when they first came out... I love BMW.

Mitlov

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2008, 05:59:27 pm »
I'm stil reeling from being given a Z4 for the DAY, when they first came out... I love BMW.

It's the dealership, not the brand.  The local BMW dealership wouldn't let a practicing attorney drive a new car (though they did have a used E90 that they let me take for a spin), and they wouldn't even let me set my kid's toddler seat in the back seat of a stationary 1-Series to see if it would fit.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2008, 06:39:50 pm »

It's the dealership, not the brand. 

I know, but it made a big difference to me at the time, so much so that I bought one the following day.