Author Topic: New Toronto Tax  (Read 9267 times)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Re: New Toronto Tax
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 10:53:47 pm »
$134 is still cheaper than Montreal.   I recall paying over $200 when I was there. 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2008, 05:52:16 am »
Check this out for comparison: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

$134 a year is still relatively dirt cheap.

$134 is cheap enough  but it is who one would have to pay it to is the problem.

I could make lots of good arguments for some Toronto special taxes including this one but for each new tax dollar collected I'd like to see the TO government try to economize on some things it does if only by 10% or so... just to show willing if you see what I mean.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2008, 08:21:35 am »
Does northern Ontario still have a reduced fee for plates?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2008, 09:17:59 am »
..Oh shaddupp and PAY IT...yer in the Centre of the Universe........or as the rest of us call it...Tha Vortex of Porcelain........ :rofl: so shid happens...Commader it is impossible to escape THIS BLACK HOLE...even @ warped or bettER speed!!!!!     kinda like a for whom BELL tolls   redux..... 8)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:21:31 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2008, 10:27:05 am »
I agree about property taxes in Toronto.  They should be raised.  They are artificially low and not on par with 905.  To all the bleeding hearts out there that say it will force people out of their homes... TOUGH.  If you can't afford to pay the taxes on your home then you should downsize or not own a home.  Period.

*****Flame shield activated*****

PS> I got my plate renewal today.... 74 for one year PLUS 60.  What a crock of SH^T. 

i am not so sure property taxes in toronto are that much lower than 905 comparitively given the amount of space 905 takes geographically. i would love to know the per capita/sq km comparison.   my property is a third or quarter of the size of a 905ers home.  the whole property tax system is so convoluted.    as far as the highway tax goes, who uses it more should pay the premiums.  they shouldn't be massive penalties but they should remind people that this is a service that costs a huge amount of money to maintain.   

Maybe a real simple system:  Add these together
Property tax based on number of heated cubic feet   for all buildings. quite a small number per cuft I expect
Land area tax   just to cover big gardens, parking lots etc.  Another small number  per sq ft

Municipalities would get their income from these.

Fire service tax   Cost of Fire service / divided by total heated cubic feet in the area  * your cubic feet
Policing tax     Cost of police/# people in the area * number of people living in  or employed by a company  in your building
Snow clearance  tax a simple function of frontage onto a public road but only applied if the municipality clears the snow with direct labour

garbage, water, sewage,  at amounts used ( Assume sewage gallonage = water gallonage )

Education  a separate bill altogether let the school boards work it out.

Every separate piece has an obvious correlation to what it is paying for.

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2008, 10:33:52 am »
It saddens me of what Toronto has become.  Back in the Eighties you would go "downtown" to marvel at all the amazing and unique shops.  My dad would make trips there just to go to the record stores which sucked in the burbs.  I used to feel almost a culture shock when I went there,  mostly down to how fashion-forward they were in the city.  There was seemingly something new and exciting being built all the time with pinnacle being the Skydome, though it basically ended there.

Now..
You go shopping on Queen St. and the streets are clogged with the same stores you find in Square-One (Mississauga Mall).  It just feels like the burbs have moved in to Toronto.  People there dress as blandly as I do now.  The streets are not nearly as clean as they used to be.  We stopped for a Sub sandwich on a  bike trip,  there were no places to get rid of your garbage,  I had to go back into the restaurant to get rid of it.  Some of the Subway stations are horribly run-down, as is the once glorious Union Station.

You have a mayor there that acts like a baby duck with it's beak wide open waiting for mommy (Dalton and Steven) to drop worms into it.  The mayor can't get anything done beyond that.  

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2008, 03:10:01 pm »

Yes  :) I spent the last two weeks working in Richmond Hill at HQ. There is no way I would wander south of the 407.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2008, 04:43:21 pm »

Yes  :) I spent the last two weeks working in Richmond Hill at HQ. There is no way I would wander south of the 407.
Its ok down to 7 actually, that where the best Chinese food is.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2008, 05:40:05 pm »

Its ok down to 7 actually, that where the best Chinese food is.

I staid away from the Puking Gazebo and went to the “real” restaurants. I never ate so much raw fish in my life.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2008, 08:45:35 pm »
Would that be the sushi place by Yonge and Elgin Mills?