Author Topic: Driver permit has changed.  (Read 2279 times)

Cortina

Driver permit has changed.
« on: August 25, 2008, 12:03:27 pm »
Driver permit has changed. I got a new one in the post today.  :)

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=57e94855-4736-4f0e-9d81-a4dc9f891ff8

UmroAyyar

Re: Driver permit has changed.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 12:10:18 pm »
Almost every identity card you get these days is chipped, including your credit cards.

This has been updated for quite some time, have fun with yours.  ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 12:26:56 pm »
I quite see the point of a new and more secure d/l.  All official documents should be changed every few years to try to keep the counterfeiters at bay.  Passports, d/l, health cars, SIN cards, Currency, Immigrants papers etc.

I do not understand this crazy Canadian thing that you should be allowed into a foreign country without a passport, properly issued by the NATIONAL government.   If the USA, Canada and Mexico were to implement a specific accord to allow each others citizens to cross the border without showing documents as it is between most EU countries that would be ok BUT then you'd have to have  common external rules for who was allowed in  to the whole continent... and Canada would not go for that for its own reasons, the US for its own reasons, Mexico might.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 01:07:50 pm »
Definitely old news.  I've had mine since May. 

APSCORADIALES

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 02:30:38 pm »
"...Driver permit has changed. I got a new one in the post today..."

Looks pathetic, doesn't it?
I thought they made a mistake on the photo - being black-and-white, so I called the MOT, and was told, "Nope, they're supposed to be black-and-white".
Step backwards, if you ask me.

The chip is only good for Ontario; doesn't work for crossing the US border. That one will be coming in a couple of years or so.

APSCORADIALES

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 02:35:19 pm »
I quite see the point of a new and more secure d/l.  All official documents should be changed every few years to try to keep the counterfeiters at bay.  Passports, d/l, health cars, SIN cards, Currency, Immigrants papers etc.

I do not understand this crazy Canadian thing that you should be allowed into a foreign country without a passport, properly issued by the NATIONAL government.   If the USA, Canada and Mexico were to implement a specific accord to allow each others citizens to cross the border without showing documents as it is between most EU countries that would be ok BUT then you'd have to have  common external rules for who was allowed in  to the whole continent... and Canada would not go for that for its own reasons, the US for its own reasons, Mexico might.

Ummm...

Canada doesn't require passports for its citizens to get back home from USA or Mexico; it's USA that's screwed-up to that end.
They require their own citizens to have a US passport to cross the US border!
Yep, be nice if we could travel across borders like they do in EU, but it ain't gonna happen any time soon...like maybe within the next thousand years!
Blame the terrorists...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 03:13:22 pm »
I agree that there's some weird belief by Canadians (ie,not the gov't) that we should, for some unknown reason, be allowed into the US without passports, just because we're nice.

Well, the US is a separate country, and frankly, I have zero interest in toadying to their security requirements just so that I can go shopping in Freeport without a passport.  I've always had a passport, and always take it with me when I go to the US anyway, because it's what you use for international travel.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Cortina

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 03:37:50 pm »
Definitely old news.  I've had mine since May. 

Thats me all over.  :P I missed the news. ;D

"...Driver permit has changed. I got a new one in the post today..."

Looks pathetic, doesn't it?

It looks more official I think it is a bit clutter tho. :)

as it is between most EU countries that would be ok

Thats not 100% true b/c the only acceptable form Id is a passport in most parts of the Euroland. :)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 06:29:17 pm »
I like my new license picture.   I looked like I died and started decaying.   :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 07:07:56 pm »

Quote from: tpl on Today at 12:26:56 pm
as it is between most EU countries that would be ok

from Cortina. Thats not 100% true b/c the only acceptable form Id is a passport in most parts of the Euroland.

Most Eu "mainland " countries have Identity cards which can be used instead of a passport within the Eu
The schengen (sp) accord countries do not even have customs posts for people any more... they still do for commercial vehicles.    I agree that if you are NOT an Eu citizen that a passport is required except in a very few cases.

http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l33020.htm

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 02:19:05 pm »
As a Brit I need (or used to need) a visa WAIVER to travel from Canada to the States. So I need(ed) an official piece of paper to certify that I don't need another official piece of paper to enter the States. No wonder I have no interest in going!  ;D
Really?   from 1975 on we just used our brit passports with the immigration paper inside. At one point my passport was stamped n/c ( non-controlled) by a INS person in San Francisco and I was told that I did not need to carry the immigration paper any more.  This was before we were citizens in the '80s