Author Topic: Rust protection for Saturn Astra  (Read 9031 times)

repczakl

Rust protection for Saturn Astra
« on: August 24, 2008, 10:27:16 pm »
A friend of mine told me that european cars dont need to be sprayed inside the body for rustproofing, because apparently they dip them before the assembly in some protective liquid. Is this right? I've just bought an Astra few days ago, please advise.

Honda Owner

Re: Rust protection for Saturn Astra
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 12:54:43 am »
Don't waste your money. The car is built with two sided galvanized steel and does not need additional snake oil, oops, "rust proofing."

Offline Kirspin

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 06:52:04 am »
I would do the Rust proofing whether or not what your friend told you how they manufacture Cars in Europe, you dont live in Europe but in Southern Ontario where they use tons of Salt on all our roads, take the time to protect  yourself, I recommend Krown! I use it personally and also I note Hydro One Trucks are done with it too, as well as most Oil supply companies(ie Home Heating Oil)

vdk

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 03:10:59 pm »
 :ttiwwp: :ttiwwp: :ttiwwp:

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 03:15:01 pm »
I personally wouldn't rustproof so long as you take reasonable care of your vehicle.

Did you purchase from Motorcity and what model/colour?
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

vdk

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 03:24:41 pm »
Manual/auto or XE/XR? 16 17 or 18?

That's a sweet little car. Congrats!  ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 03:36:32 pm »
reponzel....congrats on yer new As-tra..............if'n yer keepin' her fer 10 years do a Krown treatment NOW and every 3 years...if it's a short term LURVE affair :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:  3 ta 5 years fugeddabouttit..............enjoy yer Saturn ...does IT really run rings around a Uranus............... ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 03:46:14 pm »
I know that when I buy a second hand car, I will be happier with one that is rustproofed, and I'm sure that it's the same for a lot of buyers. It shows that you are taking care of the car.

I had a friend who had a 1992 Mazda Protege sedan and who never rustproofed the car, whereas I had a Mazda 323 Hatch (the hatchback version of the Protege) which I rustproofed every year or so. My car lasted about a year and a half more - his was rusting out especially badly on the B pillars and the front hood (if not elsewhere). When I got rid of mine, the body was still good, although it was a bit incontinent and every seat except the driver's seat was constantly wet!

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 04:07:19 pm »
I'd say rustproof it if you plan to keep the car more than 3-4 years and you care about how it looks.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 04:11:56 pm »
 :P ::) :bang: I hereby KROWN Car crazy fer oilism!!! No  waxism...NO..Plagiarism wif drippings on driveways............ ;D

Offline onearmed

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 05:11:34 pm »
I say no if it's galvanized. A galvanized car should not start rusting for at least 15 years.  After that, the $1500 on rust proofing that you saved can be put into repairs to keep the car another 5 years or longer.

I say no to rustproofing, but it depends on the manufacturer.  A mazda I would rustproof, an astra that is supposedly galvanized I would not.

I've had my VW for 6 years, no signs of rust.  My brother's VW was "keyed" to the metal 5 years ago and he still does not have a single spec of rust. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:14:53 pm by onearmed »

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 06:48:26 pm »
After 10 years, my double galvanized VW is pretty rusty under the car in places where the paint/coating got chipped.  I'm going to try some cans of POR-15.

I'd say rustproof if you don't want to do rust repair after a decade or so. 

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 08:29:25 pm »
I say no if it's galvanized. A galvanized car should not start rusting for at least 15 years.  After that, the $1500 on rust proofing that you saved can be put into repairs to keep the car another 5 years or longer.

$1500 dollars doesn't go that far for autobody... esp. good autobody...  and even if it's good, it's rarely as good as factory...

Spend the $100 dollars and 1 hour a year for Krown now vs $???? + a week off the road and weeks of paint smell in 15 years.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 09:20:53 pm »
It pains me to say, but "dripless" or "dealer applied rust proofing" is actual detrimental to vehicles.

Krown or if you're hard up, Rust Check, does so much more than protect body panels.  It protects brake lines, fuel lines, electrical connections, prevents bolts and fasteners from seizing; the MECHANICAL benefits are plenty.  That is what the nay sayers miss, the mechanical part of it.  I dare say  :) that ppl who think Krown is useless don't work on their own vehicle. 

I've recently got a US car that I know has never been treated with anything.  It's 18 years old and I'm going to remove the trans axle, drive line and clutch this winter.  Not a spec of rust throughout the entire car, but I know from experience it will come apart alot easier with an application of Krown.  It's not unlike dowsing the entire car in WD40.

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 11:11:21 am »
Yeah, the 1-time application stuff I'm not so sure about.   

I never Krowned my Jeep and all I know is the floor panels near  the leaky transfer case and leaky rear main seal that get sprayed with oil on a daily basis are looking pretty good!

Krown does drip.  I do mine in the summer, which apparantly helps the oil flow and creep into seams, etc.

I have a gravel driveway so I don't mind.  Not sure if it hurts asphalt, but it will probably stain.

A good trick is to get the Krown done before going on a summer road trip and let the Trans Canada and the motels  take the drips!   Or park it at the park-n-ride if you're flying and let her drip it out there for a week or 2.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 12:38:01 pm »
Couldn't hurt to apply Krown.  I do mine every year and don't regret it one bit.  Two other inconvenient short term side effects of Krown:

• The excess burns off, leaving a faint trail of smoke for a day or two.  Never been pulled over for a burning car yet, but... ;D
  • Be careful leaning over your hatch or trunk if you are wearing good pants. ;D
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

vdk

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 03:57:46 pm »
Pics? I'll show you mine if you show me yours...  ;D