Author Topic: Turbocharging: theory versus reality  (Read 5008 times)

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
Re: Turbocharging: theory versus reality
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 03:43:23 pm »
Another angle to the topic; Volvo used to make five specifications of the same I5 base engine with slightly varying bores and with or without turbo. Below are the euro specs from the least to most powerful.

2435cm2 125hp/220Nm: city/highway 12.2/6.8 l/100km
2435cm2 170hp/225Nm: 12.3/6.8
2521cm2 210hp/320Nm: 12.9/6.9
2401cm2 260hp/350Nm: 12.7/7.3
2521cm2 300hp/400Nm: 14.5/8.2

Note that the last one is an AWD.

Seems like the turbo's get more oomph for little penalty in mileage...
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

vdk

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 04:18:15 pm »
It would be interesting to see how the 2.0FSI and the 2.0TFSI compare... I'm struggling to find some #s...

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 04:41:45 pm »
It would be interesting to see how the 2.0FSI and the 2.0TFSI compare... I'm struggling to find some #s...

From volkswagen.de, the below figures are for the Golf:

FSI 2.0: 150hp, 200Nm, 8.8s, city/highway 11.0/6.3
TFSI 2.0 (aka GTI): 200hp, 280Nm, 7.2s, 11.0/6.2
TSI 1.4: 140hp, 220Nm, 8.8s, 9.5/5.7
TSI 1.4: 170hp, 240Nm, 7.9s, 9.9/5.8

The 2.0 FSI is pretty much redundant nowadays. Apparently, the Mk VI Golf will come with the 122hp and 160hp 1.4 TSI's as well as 1.4 and 1.6 NA engines.

vdk

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 08:51:51 pm »
Ich sprache deutsche somewhat... ;D Danke fur die nummern !

It seems that manufacturers use turbos to improve performance rather than fuel economy...
Looks like all VW gas engines are turbo nowadays in Europe... :thumbup:

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 09:26:39 pm »
Here are my belated thoughts on this discussion.

I think the best potential in using turbos to reduce fuel consumption is that you can move the same car with a smaller displacement engine with similar performance to the larger engine.  There would be weight savings which would help improve city mileage and on the highway you would use less fuel if you stay off boost.

I was surprised at how much complexity a turbo added when I started to really get into understanding and improving the power in my Miata.  There is a lot of additional plumbing, an intercooler, additional oil cooling capacity, bigger radiator, blowoff valve, catch can and boost controller. Most of this stuff is fairly light, but it must be costly to manufacture.

A turbo could be maximized for fuel efficiency by reducing the amount of time you are under boost.  I drove a CX7 and it seemed to be under boost constantly even under light acceleration.  Perhaps that explains it's higher than expected fuel consumption. My 04 Miata gets slightly better mileage than my 99 did because boost isn't a factor until just under 3k rpm.  I have changed the intake, exhaust, boost controller, and blowoff valve to gain an extra 50 whp, but the fuel economy is down because boost comes on much earlier (2k rpm +/-) and it is on boost quite a bit more even under light throttle.

It will be interesting how Ford handles turbos.
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Wolfe

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 10:31:19 pm »
The engine tuning is the key.

We're so used to thinking of turbocharging just to increase the power output of an engine that turbos are rarely though of in any other way.

:iagree:

I've posted this link before but it's right on topic again so: http://autospeed.com/cms/A_109931/article.html

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 10:59:41 am »
The engine tuning is the key.

We're so used to thinking of turbocharging just to increase the power output of an engine that turbos are rarely though of in any other way.

:iagree:

I've posted this link before but it's right on topic again so: http://autospeed.com/cms/A_109931/article.html

Good link. I would think Ford would just download everything Volvo has learned from turbos. Perhaps that is why Ford decided to keep them around, to suck their knowledge dry!

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 03:01:59 pm »

Thanks for the link, it's a very good summary of what I think will be the future application of turbocharging. Except that the future is already here.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 11:04:06 pm »
Here are my belated thoughts on this discussion.

I think the best potential in using turbos to reduce fuel consumption is that you can move the same car with a smaller displacement engine with similar performance to the larger engine.  There would be weight savings which would help improve city mileage and on the highway you would use less fuel if you stay off boost.

Exactly.  It's like Chrysler Multiple Cylinder Displacement idea...  when you don't need lots of power (say at highway speeds) the engine spins slower and stays off boost.  But when you hammer the throttle, the boost comes on and you get the power you need.  Much better than running a V6 or V8 where all the cylinders are always firing...  instead you get I4-like economy with V6 or even V8-like power when it's needed...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 11:50:21 pm »
From the perspective of "extra oomph when you need, more efficiency when you don't" perspective, if you're talking about VCM or MDS or whatever they want to call it you still have to drive the extra weight and friction of those idle cylinders. Not so with a turbo...

Also, why exactly do American manufacturers shy away from turbos so much relative to their euro counterparts? Crappier gasoline and public aversion to buying anything other than good ol' 87?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Mitlov

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 01:15:20 am »
From the perspective of "extra oomph when you need, more efficiency when you don't" perspective, if you're talking about VCM or MDS or whatever they want to call it you still have to drive the extra weight and friction of those idle cylinders. Not so with a turbo...

Also, why exactly do American manufacturers shy away from turbos so much relative to their euro counterparts? Crappier gasoline and public aversion to buying anything other than good ol' 87?

I think it has more to do with the fact that (1) the idea of turbos for economy instead of for performance is relatively new (to all regions), and (2) when it comes to performance cars, American consumers prefer V8s, naturally-aspirated or supercharged.  As for why that is?  A combination of history and the straighter roads we have here.  A Challenger may be the wrong tool for the Isle of Mann, but a Cooper S is equally unsuited anything you'll find in Nebraska or Texas. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 12:03:55 pm »
 which German car has the Turbo vanes "expandable" maybe re_routed thru a short spin cycle! and a long-er ;) spin cycle...via controlled valve flaps....??? BMW!!?...to achieve different power outputs.........
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 12:28:41 pm »
which German car has the Turbo vanes "expandable" maybe re_routed thru a short spin cycle! and a long-er ;) spin cycle...via controlled valve flaps....??? BMW!!?...to achieve different power outputs.........

Variable vane turbos are veeeeery expensive, even for the Krauts. Cheaper to have two turbos with different missions in life (low RPM and high RPM)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 12:32:55 pm »
OK suck the life outta ME if ya MUST.............. :stick:  ME HAVE SUPERCHARGER..........me slower off tha MARK......... ;D  Me so so VANE!!!! i wear Carley Simons KNICKERS...........
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:34:30 pm by safristi »

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 11:38:56 pm »

I agree - I would rather have a turbo than a V8 with MDS.  But they acheive similar results.  :)

As for Americans...  "there's no replacement for displacement" is a very popular mentality, no?  ;)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 11:40:11 am »

I agree - I would rather have a turbo than a V8 with MDS.  But they acheive similar results.  :)

As for Americans...  "there's no replacement for displacement" is a very popular mentality, no?  ;)

Seems to work for the Z06...

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 01:22:26 pm »

I once read, "...there's no replacement for displacement...but volumetric efficiency comes close...".

The funniest engine T-shirt I ever read was "injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown..."  ;)

Wolfe: great engine link  8)
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 02:31:28 pm »
how much does the Turbo cost for the extra oomph..in terms not just of  UP_FRONT parts ,but in USE......how much does the extra oomph take outta the engines life.??? 1 ..2 ..3 years????....(2)are SUPERCHARGERS dead as a way to achieve more poke from smaller displacement...My Millenia(2.3L engine) is starting to puff out a lil blue smoke on morning startup..i believe it's seal related (Supercharger seals or elswhere..i ain't sure) any ideas!!!????.....I don't believe in the "FREE LUNCH THEORY" U pay fer POWER..............one way or 'tother :'(

Maybe these lil quick BOOST electric "thingies" will be the new SUPER_TURBO_WAY to GO.....Fashter and FASHTER.... :banana: :skid: :banana: :drive: :banana: :drive2: :cp2: :banana: :drv2: :bow2: :cp2: :banana:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 02:34:06 pm by safristi »