Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Ford Fusion SE four-cylinder  (Read 23319 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2008 Ford Fusion SE four-cylinder
« on: August 22, 2008, 12:20:14 am »

Test Drive:
2008 Ford Fusion SE four-cylinder

2008 Ford Fusion SE four-cylinderThe only domestic mid-size family sedan available with a standard manual transmission, the Ford Fusion SE four-cylinder model is comfortable and roomy, says Editor-in-chief, Greg Wilson.  But its primary appeal may be its reduced price, he says.

More:
Read the article | View the photos | All the Test Drives

smok

Re: CD Article: 2008 Ford Fusion SE four-cylinder
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 06:39:16 am »
I have an 06 Fusion SE, auto, 4 cyl.  It's a lease.  I looked up the black book value, and it's $8400, with 62000kms.??!?!? I find the 4 cyl-auto really unrefined, and loud.  Too much gear hunting as well. Reversing is hard, there so little visability, it's actually unsafe.  I've had problems with the belt assy, brakes, and power seat.  Anyways, I've been  Ford customer for a while, but I think I need more refinment for my next car. I recently drove a 99 accord from a friend of mine, and i thought that old car was better than mine.  No wonder their resale value is better.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 09:05:00 am »
I have an 06 Fusion SE, auto, 4 cyl.  It's a lease.  I looked up the black book value, and it's $8400, with 62000kms.??!?!? I find the 4 cyl-auto really unrefined, and loud.  Too much gear hunting as well. Reversing is hard, there so little visability, it's actually unsafe.  I've had problems with the belt assy, brakes, and power seat.  Anyways, I've been  Ford customer for a while, but I think I need more refinment for my next car. I recently drove a 99 accord from a friend of mine, and i thought that old car was better than mine.  No wonder their resale value is better.

You got what you paid for.  :)

The upside is you leased, what is your buyback compared to the black book value?
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline Diesel Advocate

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
    • It's time for a Diesel Revolution!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 11:01:54 am »
I haven't driven the 4-Cyl version of the Fusion, only the V6 which was lovely to drive. I wouldn't even consider the 4-cyl as I would probably find the engline to small given the cars size. My only complaints with the Fusion overall are:

1. No Manual on the V6. (Although the 6-Spd Auto is nice, it would be nicer if I could change the gears myself)
2. The Steering wheel design is straight out of a 1980s Ford Cortina (See below). A very ugly addition to an otherwise damn fine car!

Honda Owner

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 11:09:22 am »
I can think of many vehicles I would prefer for my buck than this one. For an extra $50 a month on the lease, you can have an Altima, Camry or Accord. All will have much better residuals than the Fusion. Even the VW Jetta has some very attractive lease rates now.

I've had problems with the belt assy, brakes, and power seat.....I recently drove a 99 accord from a friend of mine, and i thought that old car was better than mine.  No wonder their resale value is better.

I am not surprised that a poster preferred a 99 Accord to his '06 Fusion. Have a look at the reliability of Honda products and you will see a definite trend.  If you buy domestic, you will have unscheduled trips to the dealer for warranty work and recalls.

an otherwise damn fine car

Wait until it is out warranty and/or resale time comes.

Regarding residuals; I sold my 2004 Civic for $2000 more than the residual. I can't see that happening with a Fusion.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 11:27:25 am »
I can think of many vehicles I would prefer for my buck than this one. For an extra $50 a month on the lease, you can have an Altima, Camry or Accord. All will have much better residuals than the Fusion. Even the VW Jetta has some very attractive lease rates now.

Why worry about residuals if you are leasing?  :think:

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 11:48:45 am »
The Fusion SE is a nicer effort than anything from Chrysler and price wise it seriously undercuts the Malibu and Accord. But these days execution is everything, and here the Fusion falls short. The styling is relatively attractive but the boy-racer altezza tail lights are out of place on an otherwise very conservative sedan. The acres of cheap-looking dove-gray plastic inside don't help either - Ford could have done much better here.

Long-term reliability is another issue I would be concerned about.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Honda Owner

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 11:54:35 am »
Why worry about residuals if you are leasing?

Well, when you sell the car for more than the residual, it makes your cost of ownership much lower. The cash left over from my Civic went to an RRSP for example. There is much more to the cost of an automobile than just the sticker price. Depreciation is a major factor.

It took me 90 minutes to sell my 2004 Civic and I got the full asking price, which I pegged at $2000 more than the residual. The fact that gas prices were soaring at the time helped, too!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:21:55 pm by Honda Owner »

smok

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 02:04:39 pm »

You got what you paid for.  :)

The upside is you leased, what is your buyback compared to the black book value?

$13,200+tax, what a joke eh?

Offline Diesel Advocate

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
    • It's time for a Diesel Revolution!!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 02:32:48 pm »

I've had problems with the belt assy, brakes, and power seat.....I recently drove a 99 accord from a friend of mine, and i thought that old car was better than mine.  No wonder their resale value is better.

I am not surprised that a poster preferred a 99 Accord to his '06 Fusion. Have a look at the reliability of Honda products and you will see a definite trend.  If you buy domestic, you will have unscheduled trips to the dealer for warranty work and recalls.

an otherwise damn fine car

Wait until it is out warranty and/or resale time comes.

Regarding residuals; I sold my 2004 Civic for $2000 more than the residual. I can't see that happening with a Fusion.

You have to remember that some people sometimes cannot afford to pay extra. I agree that most imports have much better resale than domestic but imports are more expensive to insure and service in most cases, further increasing the TCO.

you will have unscheduled trips to the dealer for warranty work and recalls.
This is not always the cases. Honda's are also subject to the same crap from time to time.

smok

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 02:45:43 pm »
You have to remember that some people sometimes cannot afford to pay extra. I agree that most imports have much better resale than domestic but imports are more expensive to insure and service in most cases, further increasing the TCO.

Just a thought, aren't all brands imports for Canada?   ::) 
It's funny how my Mazda6 based Fusion is assembled in Mexico with majority Mexican content.   ;D

Honda Owner

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 04:25:30 pm »
You have to remember that some people sometimes cannot afford to pay extra

Very true and GM and Ford are much more likely to finance a buyer with a low credit score than Honda and Toyota. However, the TCO on these vehicles is usually lower than a domestic.

Fusion is assembled in Mexico with majority Mexican content

The quality of Mexican built cars has not exactly impressed me.

Honda's [sic] are also subject to the same crap from time to time.

Also true. I usually buy a car at the end of a production run rather than at the beginning. The great thing about the Japanese makers is that while they may have bugs in their new products, they are quickly ironed out. American stuff, well, they are not always ironed out.

Greg B.

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 05:19:49 pm »
The styling is relatively attractive but the boy-racer altezza tail lights are out of place on an otherwise very conservative sedan.

Exactly. Those taillights are hideous and the one thing that kept me from considering the car. It looks good otherwise, especially in lighter colors.

The acres of cheap-looking dove-gray plastic inside don't help either - Ford could have done much better here.

No different in that respect from most cars these days... Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Hyundai are all similar. What I would give for a moratorium on gray interiors and a return to color-keyed interiors!

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 11:28:34 pm »

Worst reason ever to criticize the Ford Fusion, which is the most reliable currently-available midsize sedan according to Consumer Reports.  As for the refinement of the four-banger, blame Mazda.  It's their engine IIRC.

You're right about the faster depreciation of the Ford, but that has no basis in the Fusion's reliability.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 11:29:58 pm »
Welcome back. :)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Leviathan

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 11:32:32 pm »
As for the refinement of the four-banger, blame Mazda.  It's their engine IIRC.
Yep, similar to the one in the Tribute and I've got no complaints.

Mitlov

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 11:36:23 pm »
Fusion is assembled in Mexico with majority Mexican content

The quality of Mexican built cars has not exactly impressed me.

I drive one and I have no complaints whatsoever about build quality.

smok

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 04:29:23 pm »

Worst reason ever to criticize the Ford Fusion, which is the most reliable currently-available midsize sedan according to Consumer Reports.  As for the refinement of the four-banger, blame Mazda.  It's their engine IIRC.

You're right about the faster depreciation of the Ford, but that has no basis in the Fusion's reliability.

It's decent effort from Ford, but decent is not good enoough.  The car is cheap, so it sells ok.  Still too early to tell if these cars will last over time.  I hope they do, Ford needs it.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 05:10:45 pm »

I agree with Mitlov, here is a post I made re a comment about the Dodge Journey being made in Mexico:

So?  Our Tracer was built in Mexico and to date its was the most trouble free car we have ever owned.  Our Pathfinder was built in Japan and is not doing very well, the Sienna is built in the US and is very reliable to date but the Mystique, also built in the US was not so good.  Sometimes broad statements regarding country of build just relies on stereotypical ideas rather than fact.

There seem to be lots of people happy with their Made In Mexico car.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 07:19:35 pm »
I really want to like the Fusion.  Its a good size, its a pretty good value for the money, but I had a really good look at one at the Toronto auto show and I was completely disappointed by the interior.  The exterior is fine...it could be better but its fine.  Its modern at least.  But the interior doesn't match...its relatively cheap looking and feeling, the gauge cluster looks aweful to me, and the steering wheel as someone else pointed out looks very antiquated (it doesn't even have a cool retro feel) and doesn't feel very good in my hands. Much of this is of course subjective but when you sit in a car and hate the way it looks and feels...thats a failure.

I can bring myself to like allot of things if I understand the why behind it...I can understand styling choices even if I don't like them myself.  But the interior is bad.  It could be so much better and when the new Fiesta hits the market...from the pictures anyways...its going to seriously outshine the Focus and Fusion unless those two get a serious update too.

I even told this to a Ford rep because he came up and asked me after I sat in the car.  He mumbled something about markets and expectations and cost but when I go and sit in a car like a Honda Fit which is allot cheaper or even the new Malibu which has a similar price but a much better interior...this all falls flat.