Author Topic: 2011 Chevy Cruze  (Read 71531 times)

Mitlov

Re: 2011 Chevy Cruze
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2010, 05:14:12 pm »
Is ANYBODY still making a lousy C-segment car as of model year 2011 or so?

Sentra

Nissan-Renault should replace the Sentra with the Megane, and the Spec V with the Megane RS.  Can I get an amen?

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:19:24 pm by Mitlov »

diceman

« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2010, 05:58:30 pm »
In 2011 the Corolla will be the lousiest car in its segment. That makes me very happy. ;D
This is very quickly becoming true. I'm having buyers remorse.

Don't. I leased a Pontiac G5 for work and I LOATHE it. Oh well, 1 more year. :(

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2010, 06:17:23 pm »
In 2011 the Corolla will be the lousiest car in its segment. That makes me very happy. ;D

Yep I'll bet that is worse :)

Well I look at it this way... it's wheels and freedom and it gets me around and I still have some fun with it. When I'm in a position to switch it up with something else... I'll go back to the drawing board and figure out what I want and what I can afford.

Mitlov

« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2010, 06:22:44 pm »

Well I look at it this way... it's wheels and freedom and it gets me around and I still have some fun with it. When I'm in a position to switch it up with something else... I'll go back to the drawing board and figure out what I want and what I can afford.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2010, 06:31:48 pm »

The worst car in the world is WAY better than no car at all......and an '09 Corolla XRS is nowhere close to being the worst car in the world! ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline dboz

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 03 Matrix XR, 09 Matrix XR
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2010, 07:53:51 pm »
Well let's suppose the Toyota brand does not exist for a moment: Would you chose the new-to-us Cruze or the upcoming Elantra... Cruze isn't just old, it's ugly as well.

Given the way the Cavalier depreciate, an used 1.4 Turbo Cruze could be a steal in the used market though.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:55:24 pm by bozo »

Mitlov

« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2010, 08:49:15 pm »
Well let's suppose the Toyota brand does not exist for a moment: Would you chose the new-to-us Cruze or the upcoming Elantra... Cruze isn't just old, it's ugly as well.

Given the way the Cavalier depreciate, an used 1.4 Turbo Cruze could be a steal in the used market though.

The Cruze isn't old.  It's built on the 2010 Astra platform. 

There's no reason to think that a Cruze will depreciate like a Cavalier.  Depreciation is determined by a demand for a certain model,  It's not identical for every car that has ever come from a particular marque.

Offline dboz

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 03 Matrix XR, 09 Matrix XR
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2010, 09:47:04 pm »
Well it sure looks OLD to me, and when you put it next to a really new design, like the Elantra, you'll need much more than "it's build on 2010 Astra platform" defense to justify your price, which is especially useless for used car market.

I believe it will depreciate just like any other GM vehicle, and that will make it a good second hand buy. Looking to today's price of a Cavalier and assuming the Cruze will follow the suit: It might even be a good deal when it's new after a year it's been on sale in North America. 

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2010, 10:36:21 pm »

The Cruze isn't old.  It's built on the 2010 Astra platform. 

There's no reason to think that a Cruze will depreciate like a Cavalier.  Depreciation is determined by a demand for a certain model.

You only have look at the Chevy Cobalt. That has follow the Cavalier deprecation track record. Also I can pick up a brand new Chevy cobalt  $11,969 with discounting and a trade. I can get down to $9,000 plus tax with manual no A/C. That has to affect resale. The point is. People said the exact same thing. The Chevy Cobalt was suppose to be end of the heavy discounted GM cars. I can't see anything changing in the future. This car is dated before it's even hit the road. The back end is awful. I'm sure it's fine car in the same way the Chevy cobalt was, is. But this should have been out in 2006 not 2010 IMHO.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2010, 12:17:43 am »

The worst car in the world is WAY better than no car at all......and an '09 Corolla XRS is nowhere close to being the worst car in the world! ;D
No this is true :) Because I like to think of myself as a bit of an enthusiast I want to REALLY enjoy the vehicle I own instead of just have a car that goes places.  Also I'm better realizing that the ergonomics aren't that well suited to my longer legs.  But... my basic needs are met, it has good equipment and features, I like it... but it's not perfect and it could be better and... who knows what the future will bring.

Mitlov's suggestion of the 2012 Focus is definitely up there on my list...will be watching that one.  And the Cruze.  And the new Elantra.  Lot's of interesting things going on right now :)

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2010, 12:24:38 am »
Well it sure looks OLD to me, and when you put it next to a really new design, like the Elantra, you'll need much more than "it's build on 2010 Astra platform" defense to justify your price, which is especially useless for used car market.

I believe it will depreciate just like any other GM vehicle, and that will make it a good second hand buy. Looking to today's price of a Cavalier and assuming the Cruze will follow the suit: It might even be a good deal when it's new after a year it's been on sale in North America. 

I don't know. I think the new Hyundais look horribly over styled and I think they will age terribly in the coming years. The Cobalt isn't flashy, but in the flesh, it has presence and seems like a quality product. MUCH higher quality than the Cobalt ever was, even when new.

Do like the look of the new Focus and most of the new Fords. However, most people seem to like boring looking cars, so the Cruze should do great.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Mitlov

« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2010, 02:08:02 am »
Exterior looks count for something, but not everything.  The MkV Jetta looks boring as unsweetened oatmeal, but if I needed to buy a 2009 or 2010 C-segment car, it'd be the first place I look.

I also agree with Erik that while the new Hyundais look great at first glance, they're a bit over-styled and I'm not sure their look will age well.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2010, 02:33:27 am »
All GM needs to do is install heated seats as standard equipment in cold weather markets and the CRUZE will SELL. 

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2010, 11:45:32 am »
All GM needs to do is install heated seats as standard equipment in cold weather markets and the CRUZE will SELL. 

I don't sense any sarcasm in your post so what's the big fuss about heated seats? I suspect you are refering to cloth heated seats b/c the leather seats are always heated these days.
Cloth heated seats are standard or available in many mainstream cars from all segments (e.g. Fiesta will have heated seats well under $20K) but I don't see it a huge selling point and certainly not critical for the sales success of any car.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:47:14 am by carcrazy »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2010, 02:51:36 pm »
I suspect you are refering to cloth heated seats b/c the leather seats are always heated these days.

Ya, just the stocker cloth.

but I don't see it a huge selling point and certainly not critical for the sales success of any car.

How long have you been selling cars for again?  :)

They close the deal.  Women love them particularly.  Those evil Hyundai ppl figured it out and landed them in base Sonata standard.  B*stards!  You can get HS in cloth on an Altima, but only with the lux package.  Camry is totally out of the picture.  We've  be sending every Cube down to TO for aftermarket HS treatment otherwise they'll just sit there. It was a huge oversight not to have HS in the Cube considering all the other crap that is standard.  I guess down in Tennesse HQ all the think about is AC.  :P

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2010, 03:12:50 pm »

but I don't see it a huge selling point and certainly not critical for the sales success of any car.

How long have you been selling cars for again?  :)

Never did and not planning to, but who knows.

Never thought about HS w/cloth as a deal maker. Nice to have for sure, but low on my "wants" list. I'd rather have heated side mirrors and heated windshield before heated seats, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:06:30 am by carcrazy »