Author Topic: 2011 Chevy Cruze  (Read 71541 times)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Chevy Cruze
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2010, 10:12:50 am »
Everything you could possibly want to know about the 1.4L turbo in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BWCMXcA4Lk&feature=player_embedded
It almost seems like uncharted territory for GM to go with this small engine. They usually will put a bigger displacement engine in there to give it that extra bit of torque for city driving .  We always have to beat the  person to the next stoplight.The Cavalier ,Sunfire and Cobalt came with 2.2 engines. Transport Canada had good fuel ratings ratings for the Cobalt ,but did this pan out in the real world? I think a lot of the success of the corolla and civic has been due to the lower fuel costs. If GM with these smaller displacement engines can do this they may be successful. Direct injection in smaller cars like the Focus would help  fuel  economy also. While the competition  doesn't have this now, soon all the compacts will have it.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Petzy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • www.mark-petz.com
  • Cars: 2012 Camaro, 2013 Silverado, 2011 Terrain
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2010, 10:09:59 pm »
My impressions from the whole deal... I'd liken it to seeing a good looking girl.
At first glance you're thinking oh hello, what's your name. You get close and your thoughts change to... I dont think so.  ;D

Sort of like the current Civic, huh?

I think it kind of has a saturn Ion look to it...I heard it looks better in person than in pics...
Mark Petz of Queenston Chevrolet
Hamilton's Car & Truck Guy

(905) 560-2020 Office

www.mark-petz.com
mark.petz@queenstonchev.com

Mitlov

« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2010, 12:09:30 am »
I think it kind of has a saturn Ion look to it...I heard it looks better in person than in pics...

I hope so.  I'm really, really underwhelmed by the Cruze's exterior pics (interior looks nice though).

DrJay

« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2010, 09:41:52 am »

I hope so.  I'm really, really underwhelmed by the Cruze's exterior pics (interior looks nice though).
:iagree:   GM as of late have really stepped up their game in terms of interior styling which I hope they continue.  It has probably been mentioned but are they only offering the 1 engine choice?

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2010, 10:00:02 am »

I actually like the looks of the higher line ones. The cheapies, with the small wheels don't look good on that or any car.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2010, 10:49:57 am »
I actually like the looks of the higher line ones. The cheapies, with the small wheels don't look good on that or any car.

Many seem to agree with you Erik.  The guys on the AutoBlog podcast where discussing a 40% take up rate on the Titanium (highest trim level) on the Focus in Europe.  Much higher than expected.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2010, 08:36:41 pm »
Chevrolet Cruze 1.8 LT

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/237499/chevrolet_cruze_18_lt.html

WHY? New family saloon uses the same underpinnings as next-generation Vauxhall Astra, and is competitively priced.
AT A GLANCE:

The Cruze is at an instant disadvantage because its gearbox has five ratios to the Skoda’s six. This impacts on high-speed refinement, because its 1.8-litre engine requires 2,800rpm to cruise at 70mph. At the same speed, the Octavia’s turbocharged 1.4-litre pulls only 2,400rpm.

This doesn’t only affect road noise. The Chevrolet’s shorter top gear also hampers fuel economy – during its time with us, the 1.8 LT returned 1.3mpg less than the Skoda, at 27.5mpg.

Bosses don’t plan to introduce a hatchback version of the Cruze, and thanks to its saloon body the car trails the five-door Czech model for practicality. And although the Chevy’s rear seats fold forwards, the narrower boot opening limits ultimate load carrying ability.

We wish Chevy had fitted a six-speed box, as the five-speeder hampers cruising refinement. Narrow opening takes edge off boot’s flexibility

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2010, 08:48:54 pm »
Chevrolet Cruze 1.8 LT

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/237499/chevrolet_cruze_18_lt.html

WHY? New family saloon uses the same underpinnings as next-generation Vauxhall Astra, and is competitively priced.
AT A GLANCE:

The Cruze is at an instant disadvantage because its gearbox has five ratios to the Skoda’s six. This impacts on high-speed refinement, because its 1.8-litre engine requires 2,800rpm to cruise at 70mph. At the same speed, the Octavia’s turbocharged 1.4-litre pulls only 2,400rpm.

This doesn’t only affect road noise. The Chevrolet’s shorter top gear also hampers fuel economy – during its time with us, the 1.8 LT returned 1.3mpg less than the Skoda, at 27.5mpg.

Bosses don’t plan to introduce a hatchback version of the Cruze, and thanks to its saloon body the car trails the five-door Czech model for practicality. And although the Chevy’s rear seats fold forwards, the narrower boot opening limits ultimate load carrying ability.

We wish Chevy had fitted a six-speed box, as the five-speeder hampers cruising refinement. Narrow opening takes edge off boot’s flexibility
2800 rpm isn't that high for 70 mph . I guess it's another 6 speed debate. We all know the ruckus it created in the Fit thread. ;D

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2010, 02:32:20 pm »
The number of speeds is not really relevant to engine speed at 70 MPH. My Maxima has a 4 speed gearbox. It revs 2500 at 70. My GTI has a 6 speed box. It revs 2900

If the Cruze revs 2800 its becuase they chose a shorter 5th gear not becuase it has 5 gears.

The concern with the Cruze in North America is not how many speeds in the gearbox but th engine attached to the gearbox.

Offline Snowdog

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2010, 02:50:06 pm »
The number of speeds is not really relevant to engine speed at 70 MPH. My Maxima has a 4 speed gearbox. It revs 2500 at 70. My GTI has a 6 speed box. It revs 2900

If the Cruze revs 2800 its becuase they chose a shorter 5th gear not becuase it has 5 gears.

The concern with the Cruze in North America is not how many speeds in the gearbox but th engine attached to the gearbox.

Agree it has nothing to do with 5 vs 6 speed. But 2800 at 70 is quite reasonable for a 4cyl powered car. The Fit would probably be doing 3400 RPM at that speed. Most engines are very quiet below 3000 RPMs. But everyone's tolerance for this is different and mine is low so from the description, the Cruze is something I would avoid.

I am pinning my hopes for refined highway cruise on the new Focus which promises improved NVH.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:59:01 pm by Snowdog »

Leviathan

« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2010, 01:04:05 am »
GM expanding Pause and Play Radio to two new vehicles
Here's another feature you can include in the 2011 Buick Regal purchase price: Pause and Play radio. It's already a feature on some of General Motors' higher-end vehicles like the Buick LaCrosse and Cadillac CTS, and will be introduced on the Regal and Chevrolet Cruze.

Working like your cable TV DVR, Pause and Play allows you to save up to 20 minutes of whatever's playing on the radio, even XM or Sirius. That it's coming on the Buick is only to be expected. That it's coming on the Cruze is good news from GM, allowing us to believe even more and more in a future of full-featured little domestic cars on decent budgets. So, SYNC... take that!

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2010, 09:03:26 pm »

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/new-york-preview-2011-chevrolet-cruze-eco/

New York Preview: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco

General Motors revealed today the brand new 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco, a new car set to make its official debut at this year’s New York Auto Show.

According to the manufacturer, this new vehicle will be capable to deliver an impressive fuel consumption of 40 mpg on the highway. In order to obtain these performances, the American manufacturer the new car features a lower front grille air shutter that closes at higher speeds to improve aerodynamics and opens at lower speeds to optimize engine-cooling airflow, the upper grille comes with more “closeouts” to improve aerodynamics, a new lower front air dam extension, lowered ride height in order to improve aerodynamics and unique 17-inch lightweight aluminum wheels wrapped in ultra-low rolling resistance 17-inch Goodyear tires. Continued after the jump!

Also, the car comes with power windows, power locks and air conditioning. “We looked at every single possibility of squeezing out the last tenth of a mile per gallon,” said Mike Danowski, Cruze product manager.

According to Danowski, the car carries an electric motor connected to the fascia shutters and which can close automatically at 37 mph and reopen at 34 mph. With this new electric motor, there is a 0.016 improvement in the coefficient of drag.

Apparently, the manufacturer has made the best choice: rather than cutting content to reduce weight, Chevrolet relied on aerodynamic improvements, an axle ratio that optimizes fuel economy and low-rolling-resistance tires.

Under the hood we find a turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine capable to deliver 138 hp and 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm). With this engine, the car can sprint from 0 to 60 mph in 10 seconds while the model fitted with an automatic gearbox can achieve the same speed in 9 seconds

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2010, 04:12:07 pm »
Favourable review...

Overall, our brief exposure to the Cruze showed us that General Motors is serious about being best in class in the compact segment. At first blush, the Cruze has all the makings a huge improvement over the Cobalt, and memories of the Cadavelier will hopefully soon fade. The biggest problem for the Cruze will likely be the new 2012 Ford Focus, which we haven't driven yet. The new Focus is a bit smaller than the Cruze, although is also aiming for a class-leading interior and its styling is arguably more exciting than the Cruze. Regardless, we think there's plenty of room in the compact segment for both cars to succeed, perhaps at the expense of Toyota and Honda.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/19/2011-chevrolet-cruze-quick-spin/

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2010, 07:49:18 pm »

Agree it has nothing to do with 5 vs 6 speed. But 2800 at 70 is quite reasonable for a 4cyl powered car. The Fit would probably be doing 3400 RPM at that speed. Most engines are very quiet below 3000 RPMs. But everyone's tolerance for this is different and mine is low so from the description, the Cruze is something I would avoid.

I am pinning my hopes for refined highway cruise on the new Focus which promises improved NVH.

Based on a couple of early Cruze reviews it sounds like the Cruze has NVH down really well too.  They even said that the engine was very refined and smooth (the note I think was that GM I4's used to be very buzzy in this engine class - I don't know personally).  Either way I think it's good to have this kind of battle... everyone needs to up their game which means we all win out and some cars will work for someone.

I'm surprised at the high revs... my Corolla XRS cruises at just over 2100 rpm at 105-110kph.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2010, 07:53:15 pm »
The review I read said they were at all impressed with the non-turbo engine....which I would guess the bulk of Cruze sales will be?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2010, 01:01:43 am »
So who still makes a bad C-segment car?  The new Focus is going to give the Mazda3 and Civic a run for its money with young people and driving enthusiasts; the Cruze looks like it'll be a very good Corolla-type car for the mass market; and even the Chrysler Delta, with its awesome interior and excellent ride quality, could be really competitive with the non-sporty crowd, and could also nab a lot of the retro fans if they gave it Chrysler Airflow-esque exterior restyle (all it really needs are new headlights and a new grille).  The Lancer became awesome, if still a little coarse, as of a few years ago.  Heck, even Kia has a nice C-segmenter now.

Is ANYBODY still making a lousy C-segment car as of model year 2011 or so?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2010, 01:19:06 am »

Sentra

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2010, 05:18:39 pm »

Sentra
Yeah I have to second that.  It's not a completely terrible car like some of the old GM small cars from years past but it's not that spectacular.  I'm hoping Nissan gets a really good design together.  Maybe a little interior inspiration from the newest Maxima (or even the Juke's interior) will do well to make it competitive.  It's a bit older now so I suppose it's due soon.

diceman

« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2010, 02:38:26 pm »
In 2011 the Corolla will be the lousiest car in its segment. That makes me very happy. ;D

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2010, 05:01:29 pm »
In 2011 the Corolla will be the lousiest car in its segment. That makes me very happy. ;D
This is very quickly becoming true. I'm having buyers remorse.