Author Topic: 2011 Chevy Cruze  (Read 71548 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Chevy Cruze
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2009, 11:37:51 am »
I wouldn't say that "First Drive" is a review. More of a preview, and previews are always generally warm and positive.

That said the interior looks pretty nice. Kind of Honda-esque. Don't mind the styling either although I'm not totally sold on the extra upper grille slice thing.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2009, 12:01:25 pm »
I wouldn't say that "First Drive" is a review. More of a preview, and previews are always generally warm and positive.

That said the interior looks pretty nice. Kind of Honda-esque. Don't mind the styling either although I'm not totally sold on the extra upper grille slice thing.

I stand corrected.
A preview it is.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2009, 06:15:18 pm »
As someone now driving an HHR for work I wonder what G.M. will do with the HHR? Will they revise it on the new Cruze platform or will they scrap it, or keep it as it is?

There is a need for vehicles like the HHR. It can compete with the Mazda 5, Kia Rondo, Kia Soul, and Nissan Cube as small vehicles with a lot of space inside.

Hopefully GM doesn't let the HHR die on the vine like it did with the Cavalier (and now somewhat with the Cobalt by not updating it while the competition updates their cars).

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2009, 08:22:51 pm »
  The question is  this 1.4 turbo going to be enough of an engine to motivate this car. They seem to be going in a different direction . Usually they put in a bigger engine such as a 2 litre or 2.2 litre because North American 's like torque. I'm not criticizing i'm just being curious.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:19:41 pm by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2009, 11:26:22 pm »
As someone now driving an HHR for work I wonder what G.M. will do with the HHR? Will they revise it on the new Cruze platform or will they scrap it, or keep it as it is?

There is a need for vehicles like the HHR. It can compete with the Mazda 5, Kia Rondo, Kia Soul, and Nissan Cube as small vehicles with a lot of space inside.

Hopefully GM doesn't let the HHR die on the vine like it did with the Cavalier (and now somewhat with the Cobalt by not updating it while the competition updates their cars).
I think they are done with the retro styling and something like the Chevy Orlando concept will replace it.  Actually I'd be quite happy to see them come out with the Orlando essentially as is...that'd be a winner I think (that is if they manage to last that long).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:28:07 pm by IceAndFire »

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2009, 08:27:38 am »
So this is still not scheduled for a North America Launch until 2011 right?

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 08:54:37 pm »
Any update on the Cruze? I hope they sweat the details on this one. The Cobalt was much improved over the Ion but still not class leading. The Cruze needs to be at least as good as the Malibu or Fusion which put the N.A. mid sizers right in the mix. I had such high hopes for the Cobalt and while it is leagues better than the Cavalier it is still behind the latest Corolla to me.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2010, 11:27:03 pm »
There was some news back a few weeks ago.  Powertrain options were 1.8L on the base and a 1.4L turbo on the higher end models.  The 1.4L apparently will develop more power and get better fuel economy than the 1.8L.

Also the GMC Granite and Chevy Orlando are due at the Detroit Auto Show in a weeks time.  The Granite looks like it might be a Scion xB/Kia Soul type competitor.  Not exactly... but in the vein of a smaller, boxy, "youthful" vehicle.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2010, 11:43:13 pm »
Interesting!

I like small, fuel efficient, vehicles with some pinache and utility. The HHR works for me but I am also a fan of the Kia Soul, Nissan Cube, HOnda Element etc. Will see how these newer Chevys are.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2010, 11:51:43 pm »
I guess the interesting bit will be about the size of the Cruze.  It is bigger than the Cobalt.  I've even heard that the Cobalt may remain in the lineup... weird I know. But it may slot in between the Cobalt and the Malibu.  That may... in my opinion but a great size to be at. Small enough to be efficient while large enough to still appeal to North American sensibilities and requirements.  Not sure... who really knows.  I'm curious how this plays out for them.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 01:47:12 am »
Also the GMC Granite and Chevy Orlando are due at the Detroit Auto Show in a weeks time.  The Granite looks like it might be a Scion xB/Kia Soul type competitor.  Not exactly... but in the vein of a smaller, boxy, "youthful" vehicle.

Here's a bit of info on the GMC Granite.  Sounds like an interesting vehicle but it doesn't belong in the GMC brand IMO.  I guess it would have been given a Saturn badge not so long ago.  ;D

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/06/general-motors-teases-gmc-urban-utility-concept/

Red: GMC Granite
Blue: Scion xB
Yellow: GMC Terrain

"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 02:50:24 pm »

Here's a bit of info on the GMC Granite.  Sounds like an interesting vehicle but it doesn't belong in the GMC brand IMO.  I guess it would have been given a Saturn badge not so long ago.  ;D

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/06/general-motors-teases-gmc-urban-utility-concept/

A rebadged Chevy Orlando?

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 06:01:27 pm »
Cool!

If it holds as much -or more- than an HHR with similar fuel economy then I will be a fan of this vehicle.  :)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 06:12:35 pm »

A rebadged Chevy Orlando?
That is what everyone is saying but the diagram there suggests that it may ride on the same platform (Cruze/Orlando) but be a very different vehicle.  IMHO that would be a good thing.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2010, 06:26:59 pm »
Any update on the Cruze? I hope they sweat the details on this one. The Cobalt was much improved over the Ion but still not class leading. The Cruze needs to be at least as good as the Malibu or Fusion which put the N.A. mid sizers right in the mix. I had such high hopes for the Cobalt and while it is leagues better than the Cavalier it is still behind the latest Corolla to me.

Cruze that I see driving around here in Europe is Focus, Mazda3, Corolla, Civic size.
IMO looks better then the Cobalt, and fits in with the modern Chevy family look. That said it does not stand out in appearance wise, and I think Chevy should have been little more brave with the design.
I believe it will be shown at the NAIAS  and be in the showrooms this summer for North America.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2010, 09:03:13 pm »
So um whos still hyped up about the Cruze? (sarcasm)

*Im looking at it and it looks dated already (by the new Focus interior and exterior).
Does this come in a hatch?

DrJay

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2010, 01:25:52 pm »
Interesting platform nice lines interior seems nice functional without being cluttered which I like but still seems to be typical (current) GM beefy styling that while it seems to (and will) appeal to the perennial GM buyer, isn't enough of a departure to swing "new buyers" to the brand so while they may do well swinging say cobalt drivers into this it may not be enough to sway the uncomitted segment buyers or create any converts .... but that perhaps may be the point.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2010, 02:13:17 pm »
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/01/ford_gm_hope_to_sell_their_new.html

Talks about both Cruze and new Focus as trying to move up in price and compete head to head at equal price with Civic etc.

Obviously we need to wait to see the final production Cruze and its price before any final conclusion. From what I see and read so far I belive the Focus has the better chance and to me personally is the more appealing car.

DrJay

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2010, 02:22:04 pm »
 :iagree:yup pretty much

Offline Snowdog

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2010, 02:34:06 pm »
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/01/ford_gm_hope_to_sell_their_new.html

Talks about both Cruze and new Focus as trying to move up in price and compete head to head at equal price with Civic etc.

I have no problem with that. Civic starts at about $17K and about $20K for equipped with my required options. If I could get a Focus with my required options for $20K, I would be very happy.