Author Topic: 2011 Chevy Cruze  (Read 71536 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: 2011 Chevy Cruze
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 10:04:51 pm »
The Chevrolet Cruze is a compact car produced by General Motors (GM) since 2008, replacing two unrelated cars—the Chevrolet Cobalt and Daewoo Lacetti. First introduced in 2008 for the South Korean market as the the Daewoo Lacetti Premiere, this replaced the car of the same name sold since 2003. The previous generation Lacetti was sold throughout Asia, Europe and Oceania as either a Buick, Chevrolet, Daewoo or Holden. GM will replace the previous Lacetti model with the new Cruze throughout 2009; using the same badge engineering strategy employed before. Australasian-market versions will be sold as the Holden Cruze from the second quarter of 2009, with a closely-related, and more upmarket locally-produced model to be sold alongside from 2010. Also in 2010, the North American Chevrolet Cobalt will be phased out and replaced by the Chevrolet Cruze.

The first renderings of the Cruze were revealed by GM at a press conference on July 15, 2008.[1] GM released the first official images of the Cruze on August 21 at GM Lordstown Assembly plant in Lordstown, Ohio.[2]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:07:03 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 11:10:15 pm »
I was expecting a lot more than this generic-looking sedan. The profile's OK but that front-end looks like it was transplanted intact from an Aveo. The rear looks like a photo-copy of a Hyundai Elantra, especially the tail lights and that black plastic filler panel in the C-pillar behind the rear quarter windows just screams CHEAP. The car would look better without it, as it is it reminds me too much of a Kia Rio. Not a very original effort IMO.

The interior looks a tad over-done, but it's a lot better than the outside.

I think GM's missed the bull's-eye with the Cruze, and it's probably too late to take another shot. Too bad.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 11:45:08 pm »
They are still caught up in the "small car = cheap car" thinking...although the interior is a massive leap forward.  The biggest problem is that its not going to be out in the US/Canada for a while yet.  Priority was to launch elsewhere...

Mitlov

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 01:30:33 am »
People are writing this off already as a "cheap car" because they don't like how the back end is styled?  Isn't that a bit like declaring a sports car is fast because it looks sleek?

Here's what Autocar had to say about the Cruze:

Nobody interested in the kind of sharpened responses offered by, say, a [European] Ford Focus, would be entirely happy with the Cruze. However, the quality of the car, especially the interior, the cruising refinement, the promised safety and the extremely competitive pricing make the Cruze a highly intriguing prospect.

For a lot of less demanding drivers, this is a very, very tempting package, especially in the current economic climate.

Full review:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Chevrolet-Cruze-1.8-LT/238647/

Sounds like a perfect Corolla-competitor, even though Mazda won't be losing any sleep.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 02:53:08 am »
I have a slightly different take.  I think GM needs to take the time to make this car perfect..or as close to perfection as they can.  This will be an important car for them.  No only for the segment, but I also think for the future of the Volt.  If the Cruze isn't better than the competition...or as least as good in all regards (quality, design, reliability), I think this could dissuade some people from plunking down $40k+ on the Volt.  I think alot of people are going to use the Cruze as a sort of benchmark for future GM cars.

This will be the first real significant product after the whole "we're sorry" apology that GM put out about building inferior cars.  They have ample time to bring out a world class product.  This is going to be a very, very important vehicle for GM.  I hope they get it right.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 02:56:22 am »
I remember seeing this pic and remarking to myself that it is about as fine a looking small car as I have ever seen:

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Mitlov

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 03:25:02 am »
I have a slightly different take.  I think GM needs to take the time to make this car perfect..or as close to perfection as they can.  This will be an important car for them.  No only for the segment, but I also think for the future of the Volt.  If the Cruze isn't better than the competition...or as least as good in all regards (quality, design, reliability), I think this could dissuade some people from plunking down $40k+ on the Volt.  I think alot of people are going to use the Cruze as a sort of benchmark for future GM cars.

This will be the first real significant product after the whole "we're sorry" apology that GM put out about building inferior cars.  They have ample time to bring out a world class product.  This is going to be a very, very important vehicle for GM.  I hope they get it right.

I'd say the Malibu played the exact role you're describing, but that may be a American versus Canadian thing (midsize sedans versus compact cars).

I'm starting to see new Malibus all over the place.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 05:52:28 am »
^^I don't disagree.  But with consumer confidence a bit rattled during this economy, it's going to be easier to put people into a good compact car than it is a mid-size.  Which is why I think this car is so important and needs to be so good for GM.  There are some very compact cars on the market already...so GM really has their work cut out for them.  Especially with Ford's brilliant Festiva on the way.....not to mention the current crop of compact from the imports, some of which may have a re-fresh by 2011...

Cortina

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 10:34:32 am »
  Especially with Ford's brilliant Festiva on the way.....

Don't you mean the Ford Fiesta. Funny you should say the Festiva Because you could almost swear that the MK7 Fiesta was Inspired by the Festiva.  ;) ;D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 03:22:59 pm »
GM should tone down the expectations game.  When the car is ready then just introduce it because since it's so far in advance, like Rocket mentioned, it's not known what the competition will be launching.

The the next gen Civic is due about that time and who wants to deal with that.  You will remember when the current gen Civic was launched, Toyota yanked their proposed new Corolla and then totally redesigned it because it was obviously drastically inferior to the Civic.

I'm starting to see new Malibu's all over the place.

The Cruze will follow the Malibu's success; not bad, but not a home run.  Because IMO, the car was two years to late to market.  The Cruze will suffer the same problem.  I'm sure Toyota, Honda, Ford are not concerned in the least about this car hitting the market in 2011.

US sales for January/09:

Malibu: 9312
Camry: 20782
Accord: 16851

http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,49080.180.html

Greg B.

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2009, 03:29:15 pm »
US sales for January/09:

Amazing how the worst of the 3 sells the most and vice versa. Inaccurate consumer perceptions take a long time to change.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 04:41:39 pm »
US sales for January/09:

Amazing how the worst of the 3 sells the most and vice versa. Inaccurate consumer perceptions take a long time to change.

Quoted for truth!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 07:50:03 pm »
^^True.  Chevy built POS, unreliable cars for so long, that when they finally make a good one, people are scared $hitless to touch it because of previous sour experiences.  Truth indeed.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 08:07:18 pm »
US sales for January/09:

So by your logic in the truck category Ford and Chevy are the worst trucks compared to other brands. ::)
Back to the Cruze.Looks like a good effort and should sell as well as the car it replaces.  The cobalt /G5 did sell well here in Canada.My main gripe is with the name.
Why did they have to change it. It's like they are embarassed by the previous effort so they have to change it.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2009, 09:10:27 pm »
My main gripe is with the name.
Why did they have to change it. It's like they are embarassed by the previous effort so they have to change it.

I think that almost it exactly.  They want people to think "fresh and new"......

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2009, 10:29:19 pm »
This is another GM problem...they keep introducing new nameplates because the last one has such a sour reputation by the time its going out.  Meanwhile if you venture into a Ford dealership there has been a Focus for a good long while and Honda and Toyota have some of the oldest nameplates in the business.  The Corolla has been around since what...1965?

Thats gotta be costing them somewhere.  In this instance the Cobalt wasn't a total failure...infact some of the Cobalts were not entirely hated even (apparently the Cobalt SS for instance is a real rocket for the dollar).  They should have kept the Cobalt name and started to build up a reputation.  Still...if they last long enough to bring out this car...they will have to market it big time and try and make a major play for the small sedan market.  If they can build goodwill there then they have a chance of turning around that sour reputation.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 10:31:15 pm by IceAndFire »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 10:47:29 pm »
^^True.  Chevy built POS, unreliable cars for so long, that when they finally make a good one, people are scared $hitless to touch it because of previous sour experiences.  Truth indeed.

They are still doing it. The Malibu was a good launch, but every other new design that has come out of the 'New GM' (other than the pickups, which had carryover drivetrains) has been very troublesome the first year. There has to be a limit to the amount of times you can burn people and they come back.

Maybe that was the idea behind introducing the Cruze in Korea first? Spend a couple years working out the bugs before it comes to NA?

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009, 09:32:19 am »

Cortina

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2009, 10:51:21 am »
They are still doing it. The Malibu was a good launch,

Time will tell if it is reliable tho.  ;)

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2009, 11:28:41 am »
Here is another "first drive" review:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0903_2010_chevrolet_cruze_drive/index.html

Interesting, balanced review.

Here's hoping that GM is reading and paying attention. The 1.4 needs to be a killer engine!
Too bad no diesel for the US.