Author Topic: You can't park that there!  (Read 4138 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
You can't park that there!
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:21:08 am »
Guy is not allowed to park his truck in his driveway  ::)  Apparently the neighbours are concerned it isn't "upscale" enough for their neighbourhood.  People these days, more concerned about what others will "think" of them.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/DN-friscopickups_17met.ART0.West.Edition1.4d8a269.html

UmroAyyar

Re: You can't park that there!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 09:30:10 am »
Even they don't think Honda Ridgeline is a truck.  :D

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:39:35 am »
Even they don't think Honda Ridgeline is a truck.  :D

:rofl2: 

I wonder how they'd react to one of those big International pick-ups?  It's certainly upscale... but wow, what an eye-sore.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:13:00 pm »
Lots of places like that in the States, more cropping up here and there in this country too.

Gated communities, with fascist home owner's associations..ugh :P. They dictate everything from the colour of your house, the type of grass, trees, shrubs and flowers allowed (if any), driveway type, what type of vehicles are permitted and where they are to be kept. To what end? Resale values? WTF! Row after row of identical tan houses, cement driveways, St Augustine grass, no trees and no signs of life outside of the morning and evening commute. Christ, the Army allows more individualism and creativity than these folks.

Whatever happened to the spirit of American individualism?

The guy with the F150 should pick up a grill and tailgate from a Lincoln Mark LT. Might be enough to shut these a$$clowns up.
Then again, it looks good on him for buying into one of these conformist ghettos in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:17:51 pm by Big_Thumb »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 12:32:47 pm »
I'd get some Lincoln badges, and stick them on my truck.

I live in a neighborhood where I heard, from one of the developers, that one woman, when looking at lots, commented that 'people park their cars in their driveways (???), and they have basketball nets...ugh..'
In a neighborhood full of kids, what else would you want?
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 01:21:52 pm »
There is a housing development in a nearby town that is geared toward retirees.  Apparently one is not allowed to do automotive repair in the driveway, nor can one store a trailer.  My Dad wouldn't last an instant!  :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 03:08:59 pm »
There is a housing development in a nearby town that is geared toward retirees.  Apparently one is not allowed to do automotive repair in the driveway, nor can one store a trailer.  My Dad wouldn't last an instant!  :D

which one?  ???

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 03:27:17 pm »
It's in Brighton.  I can't recall the name of the subdivision but it's near the harbour.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 03:43:47 pm »
That's what she said!!
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 04:02:06 pm »
 I'll keep my old house in a very plain working-class neighborhood, thank you very much. Anyone that buys into one of these micro-managed gated communities gets what they deserve IMO. It's pretty simple - if you don't like the rules, go somewhere else.  ::)
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 07:56:35 pm »
I'll keep my old house in a very plain working-class neighborhood, thank you very much. Anyone that buys into one of these micro-managed gated communities gets what they deserve IMO. It's pretty simple - if you don't like the rules, go somewhere else.  ::)

::) The "thems the rules" argument only makes sense when the rules are reasonable to begin with.  If this community were to decide "You may only live here if you are a white, upper-middle-class, married-to-someone-of-the-opposite-sex Christian", would you simply sit back and say, "If you don't like the rules, move"?

I don't mind a rule forbidding beaters from being parked out front...  but a late-model Dodge or Chevrolet pickup?  They're on par with a Honda Ridgeline, which the association does allow...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 08:35:27 pm »
Get some 30 inch chrome wheels and fuzzy dice.   :)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 09:05:08 pm »
The sad thing is that they explicitly allow a Chevy Avalanche. (or was it a Colorado?)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 10:20:59 pm »

:iagree:

He should have checked with his HOA for a list of approved vehicles before making the purchase. </sarcastic>

Seriously though, they seem to have too much power these HOA's... why people would buy into a place like that, is beyond me...

barrie1

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 10:46:05 pm »
WE have Lockwood Park here in London which has the same type of bylaw . NO Trucks of any kind . WE also have some real dumb area's where you can not even have a Clothsline in your backyard. Ridiculous in my view.  :(

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 06:02:48 am »

::) The "thems the rules" argument only makes sense when the rules are reasonable to begin with.  If this community were to decide "You may only live here if you are a white, upper-middle-class, married-to-someone-of-the-opposite-sex Christian", would you simply sit back and say, "If you don't like the rules, move"?

A truly free society would of course allow such things.    We do have seniors only housing which is allowed, we used to have "adult-only" apartment buildings which are no longer allowed.  As Barrie says, clothesline rules are, or were until very recently, common in Ontario. Many suburbs do not allow large vehicles like motor homes to be parked on driveways.   I don't know if we have real gated communities here in Ont... the ones with gates and guards 24/7... never seen one myself.
 Its all a question of which minor or major discrimination pulls your particular chain.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 07:06:10 am »
There is Willmount Creek at 401 & 115, on the south side, I believe it is an adult only area
It has 99 year land lease
There is a gate at the entrance
One nice thing,  there fenced area where people park their boats & RV

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 07:54:38 am »
Kanata use to have the no clothes-line law!

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 11:24:47 am »

A truly free society would of course allow such things.    We do have seniors only housing which is allowed, we used to have "adult-only" apartment buildings which are no longer allowed.  As Barrie says, clothesline rules are, or were until very recently, common in Ontario. Many suburbs do not allow large vehicles like motor homes to be parked on driveways.   I don't know if we have real gated communities here in Ont... the ones with gates and guards 24/7... never seen one myself.
 Its all a question of which minor or major discrimination pulls your particular chain.

TPL, isn't that "Arboretum" community there in the "Royal City" equipped with gates and guards?  Or is it just fences and a hut for show?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 11:31:00 am »
gate posts for sure.   I will drive up and find out.... there is a publicly accessible medical centre in there for sure