Author Topic: CTC Review: 2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD  (Read 50945 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: CTC Review: 2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 08:06:32 pm »
For the life of me I can't figure out who the Flex is supposed to appeal to. :think: It's too big and heavy for people concerned with fuel economy, that's for sure. Except for it's looks, which I don't like very much, it's not a hell of a lot different from Ford's other so-called 'crossovers'. It's awkward looking and the fact that Ford blatantly copied it's roof design from a small car - the Mini - doesn't help it at all IMO.

It gets the same mileage as the Odyssey and Sienna, with close to the same space. If the Taurus X is anything to go by, its handling will be less sporty than the Odyssey, but better than the Sienna.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 08:16:48 pm »
Built on the Ford D4 platform, revised from the D3 used on the Taurus X and Edge.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:18:54 pm by Big_Thumb »

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 08:36:25 pm »
It does look like a Travelall! ;D

The only thing it copied from the mini is the white roof, a motif that has come and gone a number of times in the past.

It looks exactly like the Mini's roof to me, it has the same 'flat' look to it, the same lack of curvature. Other posters apparently agree with me.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 08:50:53 pm »
oh yes..identical.

Now take a look at the Travelall. OMFG IT HAS A FLAT ROOF TOO. Creepy :run:

johnd

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 01:32:50 am »
For the life of me I can't figure out who the Flex is supposed to appeal to. :think: It's too big and heavy for people concerned with fuel economy, that's for sure. Except for it's looks, which I don't like very much, it's not a hell of a lot different from Ford's other so-called 'crossovers'. It's awkward looking and the fact that Ford blatantly copied it's roof design from a small car - the Mini - doesn't help it at all IMO.

Hey to you guys up north,
We bought  a flex  in June.  The best built car we have ever had.  Includes owning toyotas, bmws, hondas and mazadas over the years.  The Flex has a kicking sound system, great gas mileage 25mpg on highway, leather interior, tons of legroom.   We bought the sel model fwd approx 35k which is the middle of the road model.  We have two boys and I did not want a little toy vehicle(prius or some other tree hugger vehicle that won't drive worth a crap in the snow).  Our last car was a 98' Honda Odessey.  When we started looking back in early summer.  We test drove a ton of cars.  We looked at honda's crv, and pilot.  The saturn vue etc.  The gmc acadia, Toyota crossovers etc.  After looking and driving and really comparing.  We were not sure.  The one thing my wife did not want was a mommy mobile.  Here in the states they call it the "soccer mom".  My wife hates that.  She wanted to be different.  I still wasn't sure what to do.  In the end after really looking at my options, we bought the flex.  We as a family love it.  Since buying it we have driven down to my inlaws in North Carolina from Ohio.  We avg'd over 25mpg.  Between intown and highway miles we are getting 19.4mpg.  You tell me what vehicle can give you that kind of gas mileage in its class. 
Have any of you even sat in the car.  It has tons of legroom in the backseats.  When we went to North Carolina we had three sets of golf clubs,luggage, a cooler, and some other stuff.  You couldn't even tell that we had the car filled.
As for looking like a scion.  You got to be kidding me.  Not even close.
Well all you haters out there have you done your homework like I did?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 02:16:40 am »
^^^^I personally like the car...and it does look a bit Scion-esque...but I rather like the Scion. :)  But there are a couple of things that might scare away new buyers:

1) Ford's past quality and dealer service has been poor...until most recently that is. But one bad car/dealer experience is enough to sour someone on a repeat purchase.

2) The vehicle you have optioned for about $35K in the USA is likely well into the low $40's here.  Which is alot of cheddar for us Canuckians.  Factor in the above concern about previous quality issues and the relatively high price...and to many people this might be a bit out of their comfort zone to purchase.

I really like this vehicle, and think Ford should do well on them (though they have cancelled the 3rd shift at the plant). I guess only time will tell....   
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 02:21:00 am »
oh yes..identical.

The Flex's roof looks like the Mini's right down to the color. The Mini had this feature when it was introduced in 1959, this pic is of a '63 model. If Ford wants to copy it, fine, but it's not original and it doesn't suit a large vehicle like the Flex IMO.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 02:25:11 am by Schmengie »

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 06:12:20 am »
I saw a couple at a dealer last week and I'm getting used to the look and kinda like it. But it is a big vehicle and looks much bigger than the Acadia. I wonder what the difference in length is? Anyone.

Bad timing for Ford though when buying public is turning away from large vehicles and I'm a little worried about what the value of it would be in three or four years. Even the Acadia may suffer so I'm glad I only have to turn it in. Now going forward leasing options will be a lot less since it is becoming passe.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2008, 07:09:19 am »
oh yes..identical.

The Flex's roof looks like the Mini's right down to the color. The Mini had this feature when it was introduced in 1959, this pic is of a '63 model. If Ford wants to copy it, fine, but it's not original and it doesn't suit a large vehicle like the Flex IMO.

Ford didn't copy it from mini. As I said it's an old motif. Here's a 1966 Bronco, same white flat roof. And it's an option, if you don't like it, don't order it. A lot of people do seem to like it though, me included.

Inco, it's about the same size as the Taurus X, a bit longer, and a bit higher. The styling makes it look bigger than it is. I had the Outback parked beside one, and was surprised that the Flex wasn't that much longer or higher. Much heavier though.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 07:14:26 am by Big_Thumb »

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2008, 07:55:47 am »
Bad timing for Ford though when buying public is turning away from large vehicles and I'm a little worried about what the value of it would be in three or four years. Even the Acadia may suffer so I'm glad I only have to turn it in. Now going forward leasing options will be a lot less since it is becoming passe.

I parked beside one (with my Acadia) at a rest stop on the 401 couple weeks ago, it's not perceptibly bigger. Up close I think it's nice inside and out (I was gawking through the windows  ;)) and then when the family returned I got the opportunity to look inside up close. Almost as good a use of space as a minivan. Hats off to Ford for taking bold styling risk that obviously doesn't appeal to everyone.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2008, 08:23:15 am »
C'mon now, don't insult the Travelall.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 08:25:30 am by mrthompson »

UmroAyyar

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2008, 08:29:45 am »
This looks ok for a family vehicle, a minivan replacement, something different. Its not bigger than the gigantisized minivans. If the prices are competitive with the minivans, it gets more interesting.

As Bigthumb suggests, the white roof is not a mini only thing, Toyota's FJ40 Landcruiser had it too in 1960.

Ford had it too. There's nothing in the Flex to go with the mini at all.

Anyhow, looks like a bold/nice effort from Ford.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2008, 11:15:41 am »
am I the only one, but the normal links to this article are not working.  I usually link to these reports via the top right corner of a forum page, but when you click on it, it takes you to the blogs page, where its still featured in the top right corner.  When you click on the "read the article" you still get the blogs page, you have to click on "all the blogs" to finally find the article and select that.

Is this happening to anyone else, never had this problem before?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2008, 12:17:20 pm »
Heated seats are included with the base model which is good thinking.  Ford is still leasing which should suck some buyers from GM and Chrysler.  Thing looks solid. 

David77

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2008, 12:25:02 pm »
I love the look of it.  For those that say it looks like this and looks like that, give me a break.  It looks like nothing else on the road.  People will know you're driving a Flex.  And 50 grand for a full-sized, fully loaded AWD vehicle with Navi is very reasonable.  Price out the competitors, and make sure they're AWD.  When my kids get a bit bigger, I'll be trading up to a new Flex.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2008, 12:40:09 pm »
When I first saw pictures of a new Flex it reminded me of a Chevy actually.
I like cars that are anything but Toyota beige.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

smok

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2008, 01:38:54 pm »
I can get a Oddesey for about 30k, plus get 2000 in gas money right now, and it's a much better vehicle, according to Car and Driver's Flex review. 

I must not have read the same review, because they loved it, didn't like the price of the AWD Limited, but thought the Odyssey handled better.

an excerpt:

...No matter. Inside and out, the Flex is dazzling. Panel gaps, paint, surface textures—all are superb. The front doors close heavily and silently, like coffin lids. There are seven dome lights and a like number of available hues for footwell illumination. The cockpit demonstrates Lexus-like attention to detail, including contrasting leather stitching. Second-row riders will enjoy the wedge-shaped footrests, à la Rolls-Royce. The silky off-white headliner brightens what might otherwise have been a dark office, and the elegant faux-wood trim is dispersed to persuasive effect. In fact, the cockpit is sufficiently luxurious that the Flex could easily have been sold as a Lincoln. The $1495 “Vista Roof” (remember the Olds Vista Cruiser?) includes one sliding sunroof over the front seats, two fixed “portholes” above the middle seats, and a 33-by-16-inch fixed pane above the third row...

The base Odyssey DX has a very low rent feel to it i.e. low back mouse fur seats, but it does handle very well for a minivan.
Well, yes, the handling, resale value, the price, the reliability, looks all go to the Ody....
I just think Ford has a better chance of selling this box if it was 28k.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 02:01:04 pm »
This thing needs a big V8. Supercharger option as well. :drive:

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 02:22:31 pm »
Well, yes, the handling, resale value, the price, the reliability, looks all go to the Ody....

Now you're just talking out of your ass.

The Odyssey, when equipped the same costs about the same, and AWD isn't offered. Resale of any mini-van right now isn't great, dunno how this will do. And according to Consumer Reports, the Odyssey gets an "Average" rating, the same as the Taurus X and less than the "Above Average" the Edge gets. The only thing that C&D said was that they wish it handled more like the Odyssey, period.