Author Topic: CTC Review: 2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD  (Read 50930 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CTC Review: 2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
« on: August 12, 2008, 09:57:52 pm »
Day 1:

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
Click Image to Enlarge
The first time I saw this week's tester in the "flesh," as they say, I could have sworn it was bigger than a full-sized SUV or pick-up truck, even though it is classified as a crossover.  When I picked up my tester in the morning, I had the same impression -- this is one large vehicle.  But, when I parked the 2009 Ford Flex next to a full-sized vehicle, I realized it isn't as large as I had first thought... on the outside at least. More...

Cortina

Re: CTC Review: 2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 10:47:59 pm »
$50,979 thats a lot of dough for a Ford. I bet depreciation  will be steep. I guess you would call this a premium family hauler. I'm not sure where fords going on this one. Overall I like the design. Looks a lot like a Range Rover from the front. :)

Should be an interesting blogg tho. ;)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 05:17:37 am »
Ya...maybe it's got good qualities, but who wants this in his driveway, brutal.  I say gone in 2 years

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 05:36:00 am »
Ya...maybe it's got good qualities, but who wants this in his driveway, brutal.  I say gone in 2 years
People trading in their Aztec?   

Our local dealer had one on display and it does indeed look enormous
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 07:28:44 am »
Wait until you have little ones( if it happens) running around then your other half will love it
All I know have a little one in a 323 CIC is no fun, but having a ragtop does make it easier to get her in and out

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 08:52:37 am »
I took a look after hours at our dealership. The styling exaggerates the size. It's about the size of the Freestyle. The squared off styling does give it pretty much minivan room inside though.
 I like the look. Sort of a super-xB. At least it's distinctive instead of another Ubiquitous Asian AeroblobTM.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 10:01:38 am »
Looks a lot like a Range Rover from the front. :)

Agreed.  It resembled a RR that's been chopped, dropped and stretched (limo'd).  The proportions are not right, IMO - it's too long.

Remmy

CTC Review: 2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 02:16:14 pm »
So Ford has ripped off the basic look of a BMW Mini eh? Looks like they blew it. That is one ugly rig.
I am on the side of the writers spouse - YUCK!
51 grand for a Ford is crazy. In 4 years you'll have what, 65% depreciation? I'll pass. The plus side, it could become a collector car if Ford does not pull through these bad times.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 02:27:59 pm »
I think the Flex is quite attractive and appealing as a family hauler. It's distinctive, even tasteful (the grille suits it, as does the white roof), and the boxy shape is a blessing for interior airyness and functionality. It's powerful, choice of FWD or AWD, and like some of the features such as the fridge. Don't know that I'd pay the $50 grand for it, but in lessor trims or discounted I'd be taking a very close look. At $50,000 it's a lot of vehicle, although at that point the R-Class at $12,000 more seems within reach and more impressive to onlookers... but we should know by now few will sell at MSRP.

Feel it's a very smart concept for North American drivers.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 02:35:21 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 02:32:35 pm »
So Ford has ripped off the basic look of a BMW Mini eh? Looks like they blew it. That is one ugly rig.
51 grand for a Ford is crazy. In 4 years you'll have what, 65% depreciation? I'll pass. The plus side, it could become a collector car if Ford does not pull through these bad times.

51 grand for a Ford is crazy.

Thats the extreme model.

In 4 years you'll have what, 65% depreciation?

2 years / 50% depreciation IMO

Will be a sales turkey here.  Will do better in the States.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 02:36:22 pm »
The well appointed FWD SEL starts at $34.9k, and makes more sense.

smok

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 03:57:09 pm »
The price is CRAZY.  I can get 2 chrysler minivans for the same price. And YES, it's a MINIVAN without sliding doors.

smok

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 04:00:02 pm »

Ford just cancelled the 3rd shift on Oakville, that makes the Edge and Flex.  Did they overestimate the demand for this box?Besides Ford employees, who else will buy this in Canada?  I can get a Oddesey for about 30k, plus get 2000 in gas money right now, and it's a much better vehicle, according to Car and Driver's Flex review. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 04:01:59 pm »
..It's tha TOYOTA "BOX thingy" fer tha BIG massives Masses.............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 06:18:48 pm »
I can get a Oddesey for about 30k, plus get 2000 in gas money right now, and it's a much better vehicle, according to Car and Driver's Flex review. 

I must not have read the same review, because they loved it, didn't like the price of the AWD Limited, but thought the Odyssey handled better.

an excerpt:

...No matter. Inside and out, the Flex is dazzling. Panel gaps, paint, surface textures—all are superb. The front doors close heavily and silently, like coffin lids. There are seven dome lights and a like number of available hues for footwell illumination. The cockpit demonstrates Lexus-like attention to detail, including contrasting leather stitching. Second-row riders will enjoy the wedge-shaped footrests, à la Rolls-Royce. The silky off-white headliner brightens what might otherwise have been a dark office, and the elegant faux-wood trim is dispersed to persuasive effect. In fact, the cockpit is sufficiently luxurious that the Flex could easily have been sold as a Lincoln. The $1495 “Vista Roof” (remember the Olds Vista Cruiser?) includes one sliding sunroof over the front seats, two fixed “portholes” above the middle seats, and a 33-by-16-inch fixed pane above the third row...

The base Odyssey DX has a very low rent feel to it i.e. low back mouse fur seats, but it does handle very well for a minivan.

Doug F. Wright

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 07:20:33 pm »
I went over the FLEX a couple times. We watched "Grumpier Old Men" the other night and my wife stated the FLEX looks like the International Travelall from the 1950 - 60's. Yes it does, and if it is one tenth the vehicle it will do well. I sat in one the other day and in all 3 seats I can actually stretch my legs. The room in the back brought back memories of my dad's 1950 Hudson where we could actually move around in the backseat[/u]. Good on you Ford - A vehicle with some room to spare.

I questioned the sales person I was talking to at a Ford Dealership and asked which segment of the market Ford's going for.... The family. Well if this one sticks around I will consider this vehicle for the next one I purchase. It is smaller than a Suburban or a Expedition, gets fair mileage, and I can haul my grandchidren in safety and comfort.  Four large grandfathers can go fishing or golfing and even get their gear in the back.  Is the power unit big enough?

For those who do not like the image or the fancy trim models, take a look at the simple SEL Uni-colour paint with less glamour. This is a great vehicle. One warning to parents... don't let your daughter go on a date in this vehicle. Automatic seats and ther sure is a lot of space to be naughty in the rear seating area. Toyota & Honda have some competition in this vehicle. Mom's who love the fam mobiles may really go for this one, except it looks heavy. The illusion of weight will spoil some of the newer environmentally sensitive mom's who consider environmental aspects when shopping. I hope Ford's recent quality update and care will pay off for them.

I vote Ford has a winner ..... and I have been pretty well on on most models in my 50 years of vehicle watching. Us reto guys will remember the large wagons of the 50 - 70's before the first gas / oil crisis of 1974.

Jerimiah Hemmins

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 07:23:22 pm »
Thanks for that BIG THUMB.  Funny about the snooty posters on this site, nobody said much about the vehicle itself - rather the posts here revolved around Ford struggling as a company.  I think this is a nice looking vehicle, looked at one today.  No doubt we will buy these next year for 20 grand but that will suit me just fine!!!  Money in my pocket if I decide to get one.   I like that fact it can tow 4500 lbs.  I tow 3300 lbs infrequently and hit the ski slopes 3 x per year.  This might just be the ticket, AWD to get up the boat ramp and the mountain to snow ski.   Big enough for 4 ppl and all their gear...and a heck of a lot more stylish than the new Journey, or an Odyssey or a bland Sienna.   

To each their own

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 07:47:06 pm »
For the life of me I can't figure out who the Flex is supposed to appeal to. :think: It's too big and heavy for people concerned with fuel economy, that's for sure. Except for it's looks, which I don't like very much, it's not a hell of a lot different from Ford's other so-called 'crossovers'. It's awkward looking and the fact that Ford blatantly copied it's roof design from a small car - the Mini - doesn't help it at all IMO.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 07:50:36 pm »
I saw one today...a white one. It was...errr... :-X

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 08:00:54 pm »
It does look like a Travelall! ;D

The only thing it copied from the mini is the white roof, a motif that has come and gone a number of times in the past.