Author Topic: Mitsubishi Testing Its Cute EV in California  (Read 4413 times)

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
Re: Mitsubishi Testing Its Cute EV in California
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 10:11:00 am »
Nay sayers are not always wrong... there can't be a perpetual machine.

G35X, the article says 6 to 8 hours off 220V. If they do get the quick charge method worked out, it'll help the EV's case greatly.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 11:19:06 am »
well ya needs ta READ more and pontificate less.....the IGNORANT seem to be leading us down a blind alley........heard aboot Al Goracles new Mega Houseboat in Tennessee......Man U greenies are amazing......ignore Science BUT coalesce around FEELINGS!!!........it MUST be obvious the More "things" inna atmosphere that prevent SOLAR RADIATION from reaching US..the less HEAT we experience.....IGNORE that next time ya GO out shirtless or Hatless. at NOON..same LOGIC too hard fer yer heated mind to UNDERSTAND!!! ::) ??? :P :bang: :light: :banghead:

Bye the Way the Ignore button is fer SISSIES and  Folk that can't bear to be CONTRADICTED.....Ivory Tower.com............types........
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:22:17 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline G35X

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 02:07:55 pm »
Serniter, yes, you are right.  Sorry, I did not explain well.
I made calculation from the fact NA households have higher current rating than those in Japan.  The 14/7-hour rating is based on 15 amps of max current.  I think we can supply twice as much during off-peak hours (as long as we are not using AC, kitchen stove, oven and clothes dryer at the same time).  The battery pack itself can take much higher current.  The quick charging system is rated at 50kW, which is about 170 amps at 300 volts DC.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 04:52:09 pm »
There is no way there are ppl who've never heard of the greenhouse effect. Excessive CO2 stops heat from going back into space, as does vehicle emissions, smog and other stuff. Up until not long ago oceans had the capacity to absorb CO2 but they reached the point when no more can be dissolved.
Its convenient for the oil and the industry in general to say we dont know whats going on and why and whether there are natural causes or cycles. But why dont we just stop crapping up the atmosphere for the sake of experiment and see what happens then? It wont hurt either to stop cutting trees for lumber and make more green spaces.
If there is "science" why dont we use it for good as opposed to getting brainwashed by mass-media  "studies". Behind every such study it is always someone who benefits. Was it exxon lately in the news that reported $1.5k a Second profit   :o ?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Leviathan

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 06:00:51 pm »
As a second runabout vehicle this will be fine for some people. It is not "the answer"  for everyone and isn't suppose to be. I think the Volt is a dandy 1.0 idea - all electric if you're close enough but is still a viable car to take on road trips. Volt 2.0 will be better as battery technology matures or supercapacitors become viable but, again, not "the answer" for everyone.

Re: pollution blocking sunlight. There was a good Nova episode about global dimming on PBS.
While global dimming is a major threat, it now appears it has been protecting us from an even greater threat: accelerated global warming.

Full transcript can be found here and the companion PBS web site here.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 01:04:44 pm »
If they use a heat pump for heating and cooling, the energy draw on the batteries would be much lower than using resistive heating elements, at least down to -14C. I have no idea if the iMev does this or not, but it has been discussed for some hybrid cars.

Very interesting idea in any event. Twenty five thousand dollars is a lot less than the $40k I've been hearing for an MSRP for this thing.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 05:35:14 pm »
I think it could work in crowded warmer winter cities like Vancouver.   Probably not at places like Flin Fon.  It would help air quality. 

Electric cars work in London; the district of Westminster has even installed electric recharging posts at various points throughout the area.  There was a video broadcast on the story on CBC but I can't find it online. Instead, here is an article on the issue:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23430132-details/60+electric+car+chargers+go+in/article.do

And in Ottawa:
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/07/21/ot-electric-car-080721.html

I'm not so sure about the viability in Ottawa, namely due to the aforementioned cold climate but the people involved claim the cars will run in the winter.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 07:30:01 pm »
..reminds me of DUMB & DUMBER............... :rofl:...Pees release me.....

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 09:28:34 pm »
Re: pollution blocking sunlight. There was a good Nova episode about global dimming on PBS.
While global dimming is a major threat, it now appears it has been protecting us from an even greater threat: accelerated global warming.

Full transcript can be found here and the companion PBS web site here.

Thanks for the link Leviathan.

So...we need air pollution to make sure the temperature doesn't increase too rapidly from all that CO2 that we've emitted.

Aha...and the gov't should give everyone a Segway transporter because the knees of our excess avoirdupois society can't take the strain...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 08:21:24 am »

So...we need air pollution to make sure the temperature doesn't increase too rapidly from all that CO2 that we've emitted.

Aha...and the gov't should give everyone a Segway transporter because the knees of our excess avoirdupois society can't take the strain...

Well stated. I applaud you, Sir!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 04:14:01 pm »
 ..Told ya SO................. :P ::)...But really c'mon CO2 is fer Gin & Tonics......read more fellas..............Goracle is a HOAX........ :'( :'( :'(