Author Topic: VW tries to move up market with 2009 Passat CC  (Read 16940 times)

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
VW tries to move up market with 2009 Passat CC
« on: August 06, 2008, 07:53:32 pm »
Check this out as they have taken a few design elements from the MB S550:

http://www.automobilemag.com/new_and_future_cars/2009/0807_2009_volksagen_passat_cc/index.html

Nice looking car!
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: VW tries to move up market with 2009 Passat CC
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:10:43 pm »
Looks very like the current model to me..?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 08:13:32 pm »
Definitely a looker.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 08:35:53 pm »
Another car company calling a sedan a coupe....sigh... ::)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 08:45:34 pm »
Another car company calling a sedan a coupe....sigh... ::)

Not everything can be a great has a Toyota ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 09:12:11 pm »
What does that have to do with Toyota?    ???  First MB calls the CLS a "four door Coupe" and now VW calls this the Comfort Coupe. Calling a sedan a coupe is stupid IMO.

Maybe it's just something Zee Germans like to do.... ::)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:15:20 pm by rrocket »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 09:19:39 pm »
Why does it matter what they want to call it? ???

IMO its not as outrageous as BMWs Sports Activity Vehicle and that abominable Personal Activity Sedan or whatever it is.

Marketing is marketing. Its like democracy.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 09:22:41 pm »

Ummm...because a sedan isn't a coupe no matter what they call it.....

But hey..whatever floats your boat..

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 09:25:13 pm »

Definitions, perceptions, and norms change with time. :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 09:26:24 pm »
^^For some people I guess....

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 10:33:40 pm »
Other than the stupid name which VW has a history of creating, it looks like a pretty decent car.

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 10:34:34 pm »
Looks very like the current model to me..?

I haven't seen a Passat like that in North America yet.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 12:10:48 am »
I've seen it at the Auto Show and it is a good looking sedan.

I don't understand the whole idea of VW trying over and over again to go up market although they keep failing. Why can't they just do with it and stick building good mainstream cars? Toyota, Honda and others do it successfully while they have there designated luxury brands. VW already has Audi to fight the luxury market with a winning chance. If they feel like designing cool, luxo cars, just give them to Audi.
I think Polo would do much better for VW in NA these days than the Passat CC.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 12:12:39 am by carcrazy »

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 12:59:28 am »
I don't understand the whole idea of VW trying over and over again to go up market although they keep failing. Why can't they just do with it and stick building good mainstream cars? Toyota, Honda and others do it successfully while they have there designated luxury brands. VW already has Audi to fight the luxury market with a winning chance. If they feel like designing cool, luxo cars, just give them to Audi.

VAG has four car makes in Europe; Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda, of which Seat and Skoda fill the space in the "mainstream" below VW. Also, the Golf's biggest competitor is the Focus and to stay competitive in that class they have apparently chosen to go up market. And I am sure there are enough people who'd rather drive a VW than an Audi for image reasons.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 02:48:45 am »
What does that have to do with Toyota?    ???  First MB calls the CLS a "four door Coupe" and now VW calls this the Comfort Coupe. Calling a sedan a coupe is stupid IMO.

Maybe it's just something Zee Germans like to do.... ::)

You vill obey zee BMW vay until you are assimilated!  "The X6 iz our Personal Offroad Sedan, or P.O.S. if you vill"...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 08:36:56 am »

VAG has four car makes in Europe; Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda, of which Seat and Skoda fill the space in the "mainstream" below VW. Also, the Golf's biggest competitor is the Focus and to stay competitive in that class they have apparently chosen to go up market. And I am sure there are enough people who'd rather drive a VW than an Audi for image reasons.

Why would one prefer a VW versus an Audi if the image is a concern?

I think the Phaeton fiasco shows that extremely few people would buy a luxury car, for a luxury price, with a VW badge on it.

As announced, VW intends to compete with Toyota and going up market doesn't seem to be the way.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 08:55:19 am »

Here's another one, etched on the rear door window on the new 09 Maxima is "4DSC" which stands for 4 door sports coupe.... everyone is trying to rebadge a sedan to a coupe, must be for all us older baby boomers ;D

loser40

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 10:50:40 am »
Hi...

I saw the new Passat CC at my local VW dealer... in the metal they are a great looking car.  Good road presence and a really nice shape - it's another VW winner.  IMO it will outsell the standard Passat saloon.  Why VW just didn't make the new CC shape the standard Passat is beyond me, I know VW is keen to fill every niche, but having two 4 door Passat saloon's/sedan's just seems crazy !

As for the VW group going upmarket, that's true to an extent, but, the real vision is/was to have a VW car in every price band, high and low, and truly be what the brand claims to be - the peoples car.

The Pheaton was a mistake... it was VW revolution rather than it's traditional evolution.  IMO VW will let the brand evolve and create increasingly expensive variants, but, at the same time, they will continue to make cheaper, smaller, affordable cars so they can still be "the peoples car" .

M.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 11:12:10 am »

Why would one prefer a VW versus an Audi if the image is a concern?

I think the Phaeton fiasco shows that extremely few people would buy a luxury car, for a luxury price, with a VW badge on it.

As announced, VW intends to compete with Toyota and going up market doesn't seem to be the way.

Let me just say that Audi is perceived as the new BMW by many people. Not everybody feels positive about these brands and the associated values they present.

I agree about the Phaeton. I suppose it was designed to show their technological know-how. I don't think it was ever meant to be a big seller.

I have not read the VW announcement, but wonder why should they go the Toyota way to compete against them? Isn't it better to go to a competition utilizing your own strengths rather than follow the rules set by the competitor?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 11:28:53 am »
The announcement I was talking about was made few months ago (I can go back and search for the article) and it was referring mostly to the US market IIRC.
The idea was that VW will design less complex vehicles to lower the cost, plus they will build them in the US. The VW exec was even talking about building US market specific versions of their cars.

To me, a Rabbit/Jetta built, equipped and priced in line with Mazda3 and Civic would make much more sense than trying to sell it as a premium small car.
The same goes for the Passat. Mazda6 and Accord are very well built vehicles so it wouldn't be like VW would have to dumb down the Passat.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 11:33:44 am by carcrazy »