Author Topic: 09 Corolla rental - brain dead, numb car!  (Read 10978 times)

stodge

09 Corolla rental - brain dead, numb car!
« on: August 05, 2008, 09:44:03 am »
Post content deleted at request of original poster.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 12:31:08 pm by autoTRADER.ca »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: 09 Corolla rental - brain dead, numb car!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 09:48:49 am »
It grows on you when you realize you can drive 1000km on 50L ;)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:50:34 am »
Someone reversed into the 500 the other week so I dropped it off this morning to get if repaired. About $1800 worth of damage, but luckily nothing mechanical was damaged. *phew*

I picked up the rental this morning; they gave me an 09 Corolla. Well, it's the newest model, so it might be an 08, I'm not sure. Anyway, this must be the most brain dead, numb car I've ever driven! How can anyone drive this? The best and only comparison I can make, is to say it's like driving the Logitech Driving Force Pro attached to my PS3!

The driver's seat is also uncomfortable; it's soft, which I like, but the support is all wrong for me. The interior plastics are hard and look cheap. I think my Sentra looks better inside. The engine noise is raucous (sp?) - more so than the Sentra, which has a much more appealing engine noise.

This is after only one 10 minute drive, so I'll post more later. I was almost tempted to turn around and exchange it!

I think my Sentra looks better inside...............The engine noise is raucous

The Sentra looks way better inside and the seats are comfortable(for me anyways), the Sentra engine is whisper quiet compared to the Corolla.  Both of these factors played big in our decision, we wanted a comfy small car and the Sentra and Elantra were the only ones offering that.  My wife chose the Sentra, I would have chanced the Elantra.  BTW the last gas tank on the Sentra gave us 41mpg+

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 11:54:27 am »
They probably don't use much sound deadening in an effort to save weight and improve fuel economy.

Think of it as a toaster as many people do. A toaster that costs very little and works for ever.

Has me wondering if the toaster connoisseurs would ridicule my choice of toaster.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 12:10:18 pm »
Someone reversed into the 500 the other week so I dropped it off this morning to get if repaired. About $1800 worth of damage, but luckily nothing mechanical was damaged. *phew*

I picked up the rental this morning; they gave me an 09 Corolla. Well, it's the newest model, so it might be an 08, I'm not sure. Anyway, this must be the most brain dead, numb car I've ever driven! How can anyone drive this? The best and only comparison I can make, is to say it's like driving the Logitech Driving Force Pro attached to my PS3!

The driver's seat is also uncomfortable; it's soft, which I like, but the support is all wrong for me. The interior plastics are hard and look cheap. I think my Sentra looks better inside. The engine noise is raucous (sp?) - more so than the Sentra, which has a much more appealing engine noise.

This is after only one 10 minute drive, so I'll post more later. I was almost tempted to turn around and exchange it!

So it is just like the Camry that I had a "pleasure" of renting and driving for three weeks last summer. Will never forget that vague, floaty experience. Yeah, it was pretty good on fuel.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 12:55:21 pm »
I am dreading what they give me as a replacement. I had to take my car in for the master brake cylinder recall. You might want them to check your car as well since it seems to affect almost all sentras. Although if you can take the risk don't take it in yet. They don't have any replacement part in stock. So now they are holding my car cause it's a safety recall.  :P

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 01:04:16 pm »
I don't see a Sentra recall yet in the database is this very recent or maybe a company campaign?  What is the issue, symptoms?

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 03:56:23 pm »
Wing, I see you believe the test done on this site. They didn"t actually measure how much gas was consumed in that test so I hate to tell you that your statement is not accurate.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 05:40:36 pm »
I don't see a Sentra recall yet in the database is this very recent or maybe a company campaign?  What is the issue, symptoms?

Well it's out if you call in they know about the recall. You can search the US databases for the details. Basically the master brake cylinder leaks and so eventually you run low on brake fluid and the warning light comes on. Mind came on last week.

If it's working for now and you have a good reservoir levels it's up to you really because they tell me Nissan's out of stock on the part so there's no fixing it till they can get their hands on a new master brake cylinder.

They gave me a Honda Fit as a rental and I am struggling to figure out why anyone would write a good review about this car. I am only 5' 5 and this car doesn't "fit" very well. There's no place to put your left foot, the brakes lacks feel and the gas is quite sensitive (or it is just you need to thrash the thing to get any power?). And it's quite noisy compared to my SE R. Sure the price is good for the equipment but I can't help feeling why don't you just work a bit harder so you can afford something more comfortable.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 05:54:22 pm »
Wing, I see you believe the test done on this site. They didn"t actually measure how much gas was consumed in that test so I hate to tell you that your statement is not accurate.

::)

ok...

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 06:07:40 pm »
Which model are you driving?  There is a BIG difference between the basic 09 Corolla CE and pretty much all of the other models.  I've driven the CE and I hated it...steering is too light, doesn't corner well, engine is loud, wind noise is loud, not any good.  BUT...its a very affordable small car with great fuel economy and a decent amount of room.  It does what its meant to very well.  The S and XRS on the other hand are quiet, have much tighter steering (XRS has a different steering setup too), corner decently well for a commuter car, and have slightly nicer fabrics.

I don't remember about the plastics but the only hard plastics on my XRS are on the center dash (radio, CD player, HVAC controls, etc.) and even those are decent to the touch.  Everything else is soft for me.  Not sure on the CE but I think thats not too different.

I have to agree about the seats as they have caused me no end of trouble so far.  The current model Civic is no better for that and may be worse.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 06:10:57 pm »
I drove all the compacts extensively before buying our car, and honestly, if you think ANY of them are "engaging, sporting" cars, you're deluding yourself.  The Mazda3 and Impreza are well above the pack by a noticeable margin, but do come with a significant fuel economy penalty.

The "econo" trims of the Sentra, Corolla, Civic and so on are all pretty bland cars.  They all have mushy FWD understeer, mouse fur upholstery, and a lot more road noise than their bigger cousins.  But, they are chasing a different mission.  These cars about keeping operating costs down.

I liked the Corolla for it's easy ride, comfy seat (for me, you might be different) and super-smooth AT as well as reputation for reliability and fuel economy.  This is a busy segment and people should just buy the one you like, period.  There is no bench racing to be done here, so get over it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 06:31:00 pm »
^^^^I was going to say the same thing.  The ONLY rental car I had that ever felt even somewhat sport was a plain, stripper Mazda3.  But like you said, the mileage was "ho-hum" at best.

The Fit is kinda fun to drive as well.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 07:05:59 pm »
 HO HUMS..i tho't they were only driven on Witlshire Boulevard & the Vegas Strip.........Ok maybe Miami too.......... :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 08:59:10 pm »
I thought we all knew Corollas were "brain dead and numb" cars? They are appliances. They serve their purpose well.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 09:16:29 pm »
Well I've been driving a rental base stripped down (doesn't even have cruise for goodness sake) Mazda 3 for the last week an 1000 km and was very impressed. Base engine, steel wheels and auto and the ting is still "zippy" feeling yet comfortabke and not even that bad on the highway. It may not sip gas like a Corolla but its no pig either. I don't think that reaonable fuel efficiency and zippy sporty feel need to be mutually exclusive.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 09:17:17 pm »
I drove all the compacts extensively before buying our car, and honestly, if you think ANY of them are "engaging, sporting" cars, you're deluding yourself.  The Mazda3 and Impreza are well above the pack by a noticeable margin, but do come with a significant fuel economy penalty.

The "econo" trims of the Sentra, Corolla, Civic and so on are all pretty bland cars.  They all have mushy FWD understeer, mouse fur upholstery, and a lot more road noise than their bigger cousins.  But, they are chasing a different mission.  These cars about keeping operating costs down.

I liked the Corolla for it's easy ride, comfy seat (for me, you might be different) and super-smooth AT as well as reputation for reliability and fuel economy.  This is a busy segment and people should just buy the one you like, period.  There is no bench racing to be done here, so get over it.

:iagree: Well said John, some people just don’t understand.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 09:34:07 pm »
^^^^But it still gets ONLY US 31MPG on the highway...which is unacceptable for an economy car IMO.  Based on that reason alone, I'd exclude it.  I REALLY like the Impreza as well...but it's poor mileage also got it scratched from our list...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 09:59:49 pm »
Of all the small cars I test drove last year the Rabbit was a step above even the Mazda3 IMO, and at twenty grand with air/power, decently priced.

Again mileage isn't that great. And what scares me more is the long term maintenance costs.

But strictly as a drivers car, awesome. Solid as a rock.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 10:12:07 pm »
Yea..I guess it really depends on your criteria.  I already have a 600HP sports car...so for me, fuel economy is one of the most important factors when buying an "economy" car.