Author Topic: 09 Corolla rental - brain dead, numb car!  (Read 10972 times)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: 09 Corolla rental - brain dead, numb car!
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 11:01:54 pm »
^^^^But it still gets ONLY US 31MPG on the highway...which is unacceptable for an economy car IMO.  Based on that reason alone, I'd exclude it.  I REALLY like the Impreza as well...but it's poor mileage also got it scratched from our list...

I agree. My P5 has the 2.0L...its rated at 29 highway, and 25 city. I have been getting those numbers, so I guess thats good? ??? Pretty crappy, for an economy car.

Fuel economy wasn't the top priority when I was shopping. I wanted something that was fun to drive as well, and was versatile. :)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 06:33:25 am »
I don't see a Sentra recall yet in the database is this very recent or maybe a company campaign?  What is the issue, symptoms?

Well it's out if you call in they know about the recall. You can search the US databases for the details. Basically the master brake cylinder leaks and so eventually you run low on brake fluid and the warning light comes on. Mind came on last week.

If it's working for now and you have a good reservoir levels it's up to you really because they tell me Nissan's out of stock on the part so there's no fixing it till they can get their hands on a new master brake cylinder.

They gave me a Honda Fit as a rental and I am struggling to figure out why anyone would write a good review about this car. I am only 5' 5 and this car doesn't "fit" very well. There's no place to put your left foot, the brakes lacks feel and the gas is quite sensitive (or it is just you need to thrash the thing to get any power?). And it's quite noisy compared to my SE R. Sure the price is good for the equipment but I can't help feeling why don't you just work a bit harder so you can afford something more comfortable.

I see it, looks like our prod. date does not apply.  Will check dealer to make sure.  Our Toyota was affected 3 times by a similar recall.

Recall #     Make     Model     Years Affected
2004335     TOYOTA     ECHO     2000
2001242     TOYOTA     ECHO     2000
2000199     TOYOTA     ECHO     2000

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 07:02:19 am »
Gotak
"They gave me a Honda Fit as a rental and I am struggling to figure out why anyone would write a good review about this car. I am only 5' 5 and this car doesn't "fit" very well. There's no place to put your left foot, the brakes lacks feel and the gas is quite sensitive (or it is just you need to thrash the thing to get any power?). And it's quite noisy compared to my SE R. Sure the price is good for the equipment but I can't help feeling why don't you just work a bit harder so you can afford something more comfortable."

Funny that. I am 6'0"  ( and overweight)    mrs tpl is 5' 8" and the Fit works well for us in all the regards you don't like.   As for the performance could it be that the rental is an automatic? The lack of performance of the automatic FIT has been noted by many.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 01:28:42 pm »
Gotak
"They gave me a Honda Fit as a rental and I am struggling to figure out why anyone would write a good review about this car. I am only 5' 5 and this car doesn't "fit" very well. There's no place to put your left foot, the brakes lacks feel and the gas is quite sensitive (or it is just you need to thrash the thing to get any power?). And it's quite noisy compared to my SE R. Sure the price is good for the equipment but I can't help feeling why don't you just work a bit harder so you can afford something more comfortable."

Funny that. I am 6'0"  ( and overweight)    mrs tpl is 5' 8" and the Fit works well for us in all the regards you don't like.   As for the performance could it be that the rental is an automatic? The lack of performance of the automatic FIT has been noted by many.

The car is auto maybe that's the issue but I doubt anyone rents manual now a days. Would have been nice...

Well the driving position for me is kind of weird maybe it's the non telescoping wheel. Everyone's slightly different. I tired going back more on the seat and it helps a bit. The things like road and engine noise are higher then the Sentra. And the lack of a dead pedal for my left foot is still annoying. Yesterday it was raining and the wiper worked but the lack of a fine period control means it was either too slow or too fast and making dry noise.

Overall the car feels what it is a light, economy car.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 08:47:39 pm »
I've no idea what model it is but it has electric (front?) windows, A/C and auto. It's a rental, so it's probably a lower model. It's a shame as my wife and I don't mind the looks and from the outside it looks bigger than it really is. If that makes sense!
Check on the back of the car on the trunk...it'll say CE or S or XRS...I forget if the LE has badge on it or not.  There are some big differences between the base CE and the rest of the models...in different ways.  The CE, as explained, is the basic model...the others have the goodies :)

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 02:10:14 pm »
Why not a civic? It's slightly less economical but their steering feel as far as I can remember was better. The automatic was useless though, the manual is a peach.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 04:17:13 pm »
The Fit is kinda fun to drive as well.....

The Fit is fun to drive.  A friend of mine rented one and I took it for a spin.  LIke a 3/4 version of mr Aerio, but with better handling.  A great city car!
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 04:44:07 pm »
The Yaris is reasonably fun to drive too...(3 door hatch)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 05:09:57 pm »
Why not a civic? It's slightly less economical but their steering feel as far as I can remember was better. The automatic was useless though, the manual is a peach.

Civic is definitely a good compromise of features...its sportier than the base model Corolla, the 1.8L in the Civic makes 140hp and it feels much more responsive than the Corolla's 1.8L, and the steering feel in the whole line of Civics is as nice as the higher model Corollas.

I had problems with the seats in the Civic so it may not be the perfect choice.