Author Topic: Dodge Challenger  (Read 6472 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Dodge Challenger
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 08:29:47 pm »

64 for a 44k car.. which like most domestics on the market will rapidly lose value (as per historical trend)... You got 20K to just throw into the dumpster, why not give it to me.  ;D ;D... Right, didnt think so... lol.

There's no accounting for taste or fiscal choices.  ;D
No wonder I'm laughing, sure eat your cake.. its your choice.  ;)

Have you seen the depreciation curves for Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes Benz, Audi, or BMW lately? How about VW? One has a much greater chance of keeping a 10 year old domestic on the road than a 10 year old E class or heaven help you 7 series.

According to the NADA report, the top-10 depreciating three-year old vehicle models in calendar year 2007 were:

Make                   Model          Annual Depreciation
Jaguar                   XJ8                   25%
Mercedes-Benz       CL-Class             22%
Kia                       Rio                     22%
Audi                      A8                     21%
Lexus                    LS                     21%
Suzuki                   Verona               21%
Volvo                    C70                    20%
Hyundai                 Accent               20%
Audi                      A4                     20%
Audi                      A6                     20%

I'm not seeing a lot of domestics on that list.

NADA List
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:39:02 pm by Big_Thumb »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 10:03:25 pm »
::) Why is it that people who can’t afford a $64k car laugh at people who can? It’s the other way around.

Because the alternatives of what one can do with that money; both financially and in terms of choice of vehicle are much better. I'd leverage that money in a series of hedged investments and set up financing on the side for a newish car that's at a good point on its depreciation curve.

64 for a 44k car.. which like most domestics on the market will rapidly lose value (as per historical trend)... You got 20K to just throw into the dumpster, why not give it to me.  ;D ;D... Right, didnt think so... lol.

If fiscal responsibility is such a concern then buying a car that excites you is not your game. Why begrudge a person who make a car buying choice from emotion…at least he will have a smile on his face putting the hammer down on the HEMI….and will have a better chance of retaining the value of his choice in cars over some unreliable mass produced German POS  :)

My Old Buick

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 10:48:05 pm »
Just remember that 44 is the base not including any options... The 6 speed on the 09 is a $2000 option...Usually it's the other way manual free and auto is the costly one...

sMoothEric

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 11:09:26 pm »
I assume the Corolla drivers out there must laugh at the Charger I drive.
They probably think THEY picked an UGLY wife because she would be cheaper to maintain in the long run...
Well, I have news for you, the pretty gals are WORTH the trouble....
The Challenger is the Pam Anderson of cars!
Crazy, big in all the right places, tons of fun, until the money runs out.
But you gotta spend the money, just once, 'cause you may not get the chance again.

BMWs are just the right amount of excitement for dentists.

When you are 80 years old and taking a break from counting the money you didn't spend on living when you were young, what memories will you have to keep you warm at night?

And one more thing: those that think the base price is the price one pays for a car? Those guys get the plain cheese pizza 'cause thats $9.99. Live a little! Get one with pepperoni sometime. It may cost 20% more but it will be worth the $11.99.
Trust me.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:15:33 pm by sMoothEric »

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 11:33:03 pm »
I think the people buying a Challenger next summer will be laughing.  They will get a SRT-8 with a $10000 'employee pricing' discount, plus a new Jeep TJ(winter beater) and still be well under 64k.  :)

But they won't the be first one on the block to own one and will miss a year of enjoyment.  There is a certain exclusivity in being first.  Those who value that feeling are willing to pay for it.   It's only money and it does buy happiness.  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 11:47:05 pm »
Just remember that 44 is the base not including any options... The 6 speed on the 09 is a $2000 option...Usually it's the other way manual free and auto is the costly one...

There is something seriously wrong with Canadian prices.  Car is manufactured in Ontario.  ::)  6 speed manual in the US is $695.  :o  Total cost of car is $42,400 which includes PDI/Freight.  Exact same optioned Canadian car is $49,200 PDI/Freight included.

Each to his own, but whoever bought that 2008 SRT8 at Fox Chrysler for $62,000 plus PDI/Freight ($1200) plus tax $6300. for a total of $69,500 in AUTO, IMO, will be lucky to see half that in 2 years and it will never be a collectors car in AUTO.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 01:52:35 am »
According to the NADA report, the top-10 depreciating three-year old vehicle models in calendar year 2007 were:

NADA List

::) 70% of that list is luxury cars.  It's a given that expensive luxury cars depreciate faster than anything else, and there's all of one really high end domestic luxury car maker (Cadillac).  If you looked at depreciation on, say, a Civic vs. Corolla vs. Cobalt, I'll wager the domestics loose there.  Likewise CTS vs. 3 series vs. IS350...

Pam Anderson  :hurl: 

Challenger  :thumbup: :skid:

:iagree:

And one more thing: those that think the base price is the price one pays for a car? Those guys get the plain cheese pizza 'cause thats $9.99. Live a little! Get one with pepperoni sometime. It may cost 20% more but it will be worth the $11.99.
Trust me.

???  I don't think anyone has raised an issue with spending $44 000 on a Challenger.  It's a great deal at that price.  But paying $64 000 for a car that lists at $44 000 just to have it first is absurd.  That said, one need only think back to the days of $1000+ PS3s on eBay and $1500 iPhones last year to realize that people will pay big bucks to have something first...

I think it's silly.  Having that Challenger before your neighbour might make you feel good for a couple months, but when he buys his three months later with $10 000 in discounts, you're going to feel pretty silly at throughing that money away.  Your neighbour gets all those great memories of "splurging" on a wicked car, and he has an extra $30 000 in the bank because he was patient.

I'd much rather be the second guy...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 08:22:47 am »

::) 70% of that list is luxury cars.  It's a given that expensive luxury cars depreciate faster than anything else, and there's all of one really high end domestic luxury car maker (Cadillac).  If you looked at depreciation on, say, a Civic vs. Corolla vs. Cobalt, I'll wager the domestics loose there.  Likewise CTS vs. 3 series vs. IS350...

The topic was raised that the depreciation of a relatively expensive domestic car is a waste of money. I simply pointed out that when it comes to depreciation, it's mostly the Euro brands that take the biggest hits.

When it comes to something like the depreciation of , say Civic versus Cobalt, the question becomes, what was the initial purchase price. If, when incentives are applied, the purchase comes down to a $20k Civic vs a $16k Cobalt, the Cobalt owner can take a much bigger hit than the Civic owner and still come out ahead.

sMoothEric

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 08:50:23 am »
Simple and Demosthenes X, I saw Pam when she was making Baywatch, and on the beach in Santa Monica, she looked pretty good. Maybe a little top heavy...
But she was made in Canada!

Cars are cheaper in the 'states. If you don't buy one there you got ripped off, now you just have to find out by how much.
I agree with the principle of "not getting reamed by the dealer", buy USA.
I buy Canadian but for fiscally unsound reasons.

If you have ever bought a $4 coffee from Starbucks, you can't say buddy is wasting his money on the Challenger, because for him, maybe the $2.50 price difference between the Starbucks and Tim Hortens is worth it to him, right now.

Who knows what will happen tomorrow?

Depreciation is for accountants.
There is no part of that chart that includes "tire smoking", police liking your ride and letting you off with a warning, how the girls from work fight to ride in your car to the whatever, I could go on. And this is just with a Charger.
The Challenger is a freaking front of the line, instant street cred, ROCK STAR!

Demosthenes X, your neightbour isn't getting a Challenger, 'cause his wife won't let him. He's getting a 60k Lexus or a Beemer, 'cause thats what EVERONE else has.
But he wishes he had the Challenger, like he wishes he was 25 years old again, had a hot girlfriend, and knew less about amortization rates, and Rogain.

I'm just sayin' is all.
-=sMoothEric=-

von_khan

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 11:04:03 am »
::) Why is it that people who can’t afford a $64k car laugh at people who can? It’s the other way around.

Because the alternatives of what one can do with that money; both financially and in terms of choice of vehicle are much better. I'd leverage that money in a series of hedged investments and set up financing on the side for a newish car that's at a good point on its depreciation curve.

If fiscal responsibility is such a concern then buying a car that excites you is not your game. Why begrudge a person who make a car buying choice from emotion…at least he will have a smile on his face putting the hammer down on the HEMI….and will have a better chance of retaining the value of his choice in cars over some unreliable mass produced German POS  :)

As opposed to a mass produced Japanese POS?  ;)

von_khan

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 11:10:12 am »

Have you seen the depreciation curves for Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes Benz, Audi, or BMW lately? How about VW? One has a much greater chance of keeping a 10 year old domestic on the road than a 10 year old E class or heaven help you 7 series.

NADA List

I'm wondering if those are first year depreciation rates. Most of the depreciation happens in years 1 and 2. Get your induglence after that first major hit and its generally more prudent. Nothing wrong with paying around MSRP I suppose, but paying more than list is stupid.. even if its for a R8.

There's no fiscal responsibility in buying a heavily priced depreciating asset... but at least one should do oneself a favour by being prudent about it. It's completely possible to be a car nut and still buy newish cars that put a wide grin on your face.

von_khan

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 06:35:49 pm »
A 375-HP w/6-speed MTX runs 0-60 in 5.9 seconds?   :rofl:

The "underpowered" V8 Mustang can still run 0-60 in the mid-5's all day. A G8 GT smokes it, so does the MS6. Hell, even the Accord V6 ties it...

Even better.. a SRT8 has a 0-60 for 5.5 seconds.. with a 425hp hemi..   :rofl2:

Way to go, Dodge! 

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=130808

I'll take a 300hp 4.8 second mass produced german piece of crap any day, thanks.  ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 06:40:47 pm »
It's the weight.  Challenger is about 400 pounds or so more than the Mustang....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

von_khan

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 06:54:48 pm »
It's the weight.  Challenger is about 400 pounds or so more than the Mustang....

Exactly.. I'm not a huge Mustang fan, but just making a point. But really whats the point of buying this heavy thing with a giant engine... that too on markup.
Isnt the whole point to go fast? ;)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 07:02:22 pm »
Depreciation is for accountants.
There is no part of that chart that includes "tire smoking", police liking your ride and letting you off with a warning, how the girls from work fight to ride in your car to the whatever, I could go on. And this is just with a Charger.

Demosthenes X, your neightbour isn't getting a Challenger, 'cause his wife won't let him. He's getting a 60k Lexus or a Beemer, 'cause thats what EVERONE else has.
But he wishes he had the Challenger, like he wishes he was 25 years old again, had a hot girlfriend, and knew less about amortization rates, and Rogain.

???  We're not talking about buying a Challenger vs. buying something else.  We're talking about buying a Challenger at $20 000 above MSRP and buying one at MSRP.

Paying $20 000 more than list for any car is stupid.  In the end, both buyers have the same car.  But one buyer has an extra $20 000 in their bank account.  That's enough to put a Honda Fit in the driveway.

von_khan

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 07:11:44 pm »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A Supra running monster twins is street cred.. a GTR is street cred... a Buick GNX is street cred... not a bloated overweight G8 morph.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 07:38:27 pm »
Supras running monster singles are the norm for the street.....the aftermarket twins on the Supra are only so-so....

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 09:35:34 pm »
Isnt the whole point to go fast? ;)

Ya...and convertibles have terrible aerodynamics so they're useless right?

Oh...BTW...if the winky smiley face means that you don't believe what you just wrote then I digress...