GM
10 (16.4%)
Chrysler
49 (80.3%)
Ford
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: August 05, 2008, 08:31:38 am

Author Topic: Who goes bankrupt first?  (Read 18302 times)

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Re: Who goes bankrupt first?
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2008, 08:31:56 am »
More support for Chysler being the first one to go

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080629/BUSINESS01/806290538/1014

Basically Chrysler is far behind others in new models to replace the lost volume in declining segments. Even if they are in the pipe they are 2 years or more off. Too late . Their exisiting product line isn't nearly strong enough to weather 2 years.

IMO its not even a matter of Cerebrus investing in new models the timline just doesn't work. They got caught with too little in the pipe when truck sales went south. You can't develop and launch a new model fast enough. Heck you can't even aquire and rebadge something fast enough unless its already in the pipe

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2008, 12:22:15 pm »

Chrysler and Cerberus officials have been consistent in saying the automaker is meeting internal goals.

As recently as Tuesday evening, Chrysler Chief Financial Officer Ron Kolka sent an e-mail to employees echoing this message. "Despite the challenges, we are meeting or exceeding our financial targets," he wrote.

Don't know what to make of that!

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2008, 01:07:35 pm »

Chrysler and Cerberus officials have been consistent in saying the automaker is meeting internal goals.

As recently as Tuesday evening, Chrysler Chief Financial Officer Ron Kolka sent an e-mail to employees echoing this message. "Despite the challenges, we are meeting or exceeding our financial targets," he wrote.

Don't know what to make of that!

Targets for what? You can do many things with accounting.

Meeting our financial targets could mean job cuts, plant closings or selling off divisions. It isn't reflective of a companies future sucess or even its current sucess in the market. Heck its not even a measure of scuess at all.

If your target is to lose less than 15 B dollars this year and you are on track to lose only 14B you are exceeding your targets.

barrie1

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2008, 01:37:08 pm »
If you think buying parts to keep a car  or truck running then isen't supporting a auto company I don't know what is as I only use genuine GM parts of my vehicles unless its brakes or some smaller items like exhaust. AS I have stated Steve my family has me purchase their vehicles for them thru the employee discount plan as they understand what real savings are unlike you which you have made quite obvious. You would be wise to stick to the trailors or whatever it is you peddle as you certainly don't understand the car market at all. I don't buy new cars for myself as yet but just may someday when I feel like it. I can deal more often then most of you folks as to the amounts of money I spend and don't ever have monthly car payments ever. I am never tied to one vehicle for years unless I want to be which is my choice. I let somebody else take the hit on them and then I just drive them into the ground or until I am bored with them.  :)

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2008, 02:35:59 pm »
If you think buying parts to keep a car  or truck running then is supporting a auto company I don't know what is as I only use genuine GM parts of my vehicles unless its brakes or some smaller items like exhaust. AS I have stated Steve my family has me purchase their vehicles for them thru the employee discount plan as they understand what real savings are unlike you which you have made quite obvious. You would be wise to stick to the trailers or whatever it is you peddle as you certainly don't understand the car market at all. I don't buy new cars for myself as yet but just may someday when I feel like it. I can deal more often then most of you folks as to the amounts of money I spend and don't ever have monthly car payments ever. I am never tied to one vehicle for years unless I want to be which is my choice. I let somebody else take the hit on them and then I just drive them into the ground or until I am bored with them.  :)

You tell everyone they aren't supporting Canadian Auto Workers because they don't buy Domestic Cars. You are no different. You don't buy new GM cars.

You use only GM parts except small ones? So you buy GM parts unless it isn't cost effective in which case you buy some foreign made less expensive part which is what you complain about every day. You claim GM should eliminate purchasing parts from any non CAW supplier (regardless of cost) yet you have no problem buying brakes or exhaust from the exact same supplier . You can obviously afford it so why not buy genuine GM brakes ? Pretty hypocritical don't you think?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2008, 02:44:44 pm »
His whole post is the usual ...     :spam:

No "relative" is going to have him buy them a GM product, have it registered to him for 6 months, deal with all the insurance problems that situation would create, and then pay to certify the car and then pay 8% sales tax that would be required for re-transfer.  Just another poorly executed Barrie PORKIE.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2008, 10:33:27 pm »
There is nothing wrong about buying a 20 year old Caddy, but if you claim you have bought 18 brand new GMs for family in recent years pics are needed.

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2008, 11:24:30 pm »
I can deal more often then most of you folks as to the amounts of money I spend and don't ever have monthly car payments ever.

Anyone can pull together $500 to buy a 20 year old Cadillac   ::)

And that does nothing to help GM's current situation...

barrie1

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2008, 12:42:33 am »
I don't buy $500. Caddies as I have had the 1984 since early 1986 and this car will still sell for more then $500. because of the condition it is in. Even the 91 Fleetwood is in extremly nice shape and worth considerably more with the 4.5 engine in it as well. Very good fuel milage on these small engines with lots of power if you need it. Why do I want pics of my relatives cars, do you have pics of all of your relatives cars? I keep my vehicles in excellent repair inside and out and usually make a profit when I sell them as well. I may drive older vehicles but only the ones in mint shape. Quite often they are better then new but a lot cheaper for sure. EVen my 1972 truck is worth over $15,000 with its appraisal and will last me for many years yet the way it sits alone. I do not need to drive a new vehicle to keep up with the neighbours at all and never have had to either.  There are many folks on here who have seen my truck and some have actually been in some of my cars  also. I don't like losing money on a vehicle and very seldom do the way I buy them. The same goes for my family members as well who deal every year or less. They generally make money on each unit they buy.   :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2008, 01:13:26 am »
^^^^I think the point they were trying to make was that despite all of your bluster and "Go GM!" cheering, you haven't bought a new GM car in their support for some time.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2008, 03:55:54 pm »
..... :think:  I'm sure Barrie's $40 K would Lift GM outta trouble.... :nono:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2008, 08:33:33 pm »
Practice wot' thou preach ... with enuff preaching, perhaps a miracle will happen.

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2008, 08:41:42 am »
Don't believe Ford is going out of business any time soon. Only the NA unit is having cash problems.
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2008, 11:43:29 am »
Don't believe Ford is going out of business any time soon. Only the NA unit is having cash problems.

Judging by GM's released numbers, $21B in Reveue in Non-NA operation, $15B loss in NA operation, scary numbers regardless how well the company do in other parts of the world.

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2008, 01:14:53 pm »

Judging by GM's released numbers, $21B in Reveue in Non-NA operation, $15B loss in NA operation, scary numbers regardless how well the company do in other parts of the world.

Found this about Ford's results:

Ford's worldwide automotive sector reported a pre-tax profit of $669m, compared with a pre-tax loss of $226m during the same period a year ago.

Revenue for the first quarter of 2008 was $35bn, down from $38.6bn a year ago.  Total company vehicle wholesales in the first quarter were 1,531,000, compared with 1,650,000 units a year ago, down because of the exclusion of Jaguar Land Rover and Aston Martin volume in 2008 and lower wholesales in other regions.

North America automotive operations reported a pre-tax loss of $45m, compared with a loss of $613m a year ago.  The improvement reflected cost reductions of $1.2bn, including lower structural and product costs. First quarter revenue was $17.1bn, down from $18.5bn a year ago.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2008, 09:37:30 pm »
August 13, 2008

Chrysler announces US$1.8 billion investment
Auburn Hills, Michigan - Chrysler LLC has announced that it will invest approximately US$1.8 billion in new vehicle programs, including a significant expansion and upgrade at its Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit to ready it for future production, starting in 2010. Chrysler Vice-Chairman and President Tom LaSorda made the announcement during a speech at the 2008 Management Briefing Seminars in Traverse City, Michigan.

“This investment in our future products and at Jefferson North will enable the company to produce a future generation of vehicles more efficiently, with world-class quality and an improved environmental footprint,” LaSorda said. “Furthermore, this commitment reinforces the long-standing partnership between Chrysler LLC, the City of Detroit and the State of Michigan.”

The plant will undergo a 285,000-square-foot expansion to replace its existing body shop, which will give the facility a new level of manufacturing flexibility for multiple product capability. There will also be changes throughout the paint and assembly operations to accommodate vehicles of various sizes and dimensions, improved material handling and other plant functions, new employee training, and multiple “green” initiatives, including energy-efficient lighting, air filtration systems, electric-servo weld guns, and decanting technology that will use paint sludge as an energy source.

The company said that the energy savings resulting from the sludge operations, filtration systems, lighting and servo welding alone are expected to save several dollars per vehicle built.

Neither of these companys are going backrupt any time some.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2008, 01:49:32 pm »
The new Chrysler/Dodge Caravan has not been on the market for long and yet I see a lot of them across Canada. It's getting to the point that more of the new ones are around than the previous model. They must be doing something right.

barrie1

« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2008, 12:26:58 am »
Steve you are extremely Moronic as you know absolutely 0000 about the GM family plans for employee's. I do as I lived with it for over 30 years. I don't give you 30 secs of automotive knowledge that you haven't had to research on the computor as you really don't have a clue. Same goes for some of the others on here as well. With what I pay for my parts I virtually always use the GM parts for any GM vehicle I am repairing as you are right about the aftermarket parts not being much good. At least you got something correct for a change instead of your blatant lies. Brake pads and or stainless exhaust parts are about the only 2 non GM items I buy instead. You should stick to the trailor or junk business, whichever you sell as you sure don't know that much about the automotive business at all in my mind. You have accused so many dealers of being crooked in various cities yet have never done business with them. The only crooked dealer is probably you. Even the other merchants who know you at home have a low opinion of you  as they have stated it before.  :) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2008, 08:13:54 am »
Steve you are extremely Moronic as you know absolutely 0000 about the GM family plans for employee's. I do as I lived with it for over 30 years. I don't give you 30 secs of automotive knowledge that you haven't had to research on the computor as you really don't have a clue. Same goes for some of the others on here as well. With what I pay for my parts I virtually always use the GM parts for any GM vehicle I am repairing as you are right about the aftermarket parts not being much good. At least you got something correct for a change instead of your blatant lies. Brake pads and or stainless exhaust parts are about the only 2 non GM items I buy instead. You should stick to the trailor or junk business, whichever you sell as you sure don't know that much about the automotive business at all in my mind. You have accused so many dealers of being crooked in various cities yet have never done business with them. The only crooked dealer is probably you. Even the other merchants who know you at home have a low opinion of you  as they have stated it before.  :) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So becuase you get a GM family pricing and a better price than 99% of people out there you STILL don't buy new GM vehicles for yourself. Even with the super duper discount the deperciation of GM vehicles is still too steep to get you to buy them so why would normal mortals out there feel they are a good buy at full price? Explain.

You buy genuine GM parts at a discount but even with that discount GM exhaust and brake pads are STILL not cheap enough to make you buy them?

You are such a hypocrite. Rave on and on about government regs killing manufacturing , buying GM/Canada CWA made products but what you DO is buy the cheapest thing you can find with no regard for whaer it was made. Maybe if you passed your parts discount onto EVWERYONE more people would buy the parts?