GM
10 (16.4%)
Chrysler
49 (80.3%)
Ford
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: August 05, 2008, 08:31:38 am

Author Topic: Who goes bankrupt first?  (Read 18300 times)

Cam

Who goes bankrupt first?
« on: July 31, 2008, 08:31:38 am »
Ford is rushing it's European models to North America, although some won't get here until 2011.  It raises the question, will they still be in business by then?  Hargrove thinks all three will declare bankruptcy, so the question is, who goes first?

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: Who goes bankrupt first?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:14:58 am »
Chrysler - poor product, interesting ownership, and nothing really life saving on the horizon.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:47:39 am »
I can imagine a small company ex-Chrysler that makes Jeep branded vehicles and light trucks under a RAM nameplate.

Who makes tanks and other military vehicles in the US?  GM subsidiary?  Independent ?   
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 09:55:19 am »
I see some nice signs of life at GM. I have seen several G8s around the G.T.A. in my travels. It is a really nice looking car with a "sharpness" to it. Although the fuel prices we are seeing will not help this car it does wonders for my confidence in GM (as does the Malibu). I saw several Astras yesterday and frankly I am very impressed. This one is in my hatchback radar now.

Maybe there is a compass that works over there.

As others have said Ford is doing a lot of good things right now. Chrysler though.... ??? The Journey is a nice vehicle but the fuel economy seems a little too thirsty for me. I guess I would need to see its ratings against the Mazda 5 and Kia Rondo before I totally commit to that viewpoint. Although I don't like the look of the Caliber I like the amount of room in a vehicle of that size. Too bad the Sebring is not like the Malibu. I really feel they missed the mark on this one.

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:02:14 am »
I think Ford is best placed to survive of the three.

China sales can only help GM to a certain point, and Chrysler is practically on life support.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 11:28:40 am »
It would appear that 16 out of 17 votes agree Chrysler will be Chapter 11 first in the US.

Not the end of the world, but still makes it harder and harder for any Chapter 11 co to survive long term. Usually it is a stepping stone to total dis-solution.  :( Sad deal.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

UmroAyyar

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 11:31:42 am »
Ford seems like headed towards the right direction.

GM's cautiously looking at things, too big a ship to turn around quickly, they've started.

Chrysler seems to be in limbo at the moment. They need some reasonable passenger cars.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 11:44:32 am »
Should I caution my brother in law against buying a new Dodge Ram?  ;D

UmroAyyar

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 11:46:01 am »
Should I caution my brother in law against buying a new Dodge Ram?  ;D

Depends how do you feel about him? *in-law*  ;)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 11:48:04 am »
I might want to borrow it, so I'll tell him to get a diesel Super Duty.  :)

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 11:50:52 am »
Chrysler first, unless GM decides to do it to 'clean up the books'. I don't think GM will disappear, but they may want to go into Chapter 11 if it helps them to restructure.

I just don't see Ford going under without a fight. My sense is that Ford is the only one of the three thaking things seriously and really fighting to stay alive.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 11:57:40 am »
The only thing that I can see helping Chrysler is Chery...which is pretty sad itself!

Perhaps Chrysler's sad-state will force them to bring Chery along quicker and give Chrysler a big price advantage in the US?

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 12:45:32 pm »
The sad fact is all 3 are depending on "halo" cars to pull them through.  The good thing is that at least two of them, Ford and GM, have more than a few credible candidates, with more coming on stream within 2 model years.  Also, like the Cylons, they have a plan. ;D

Chrysler, on the other hand, has at most a couple or so:  minivans, Journey, maybe a Jeep offering.  Haven't heard much at all about their road map for the next 2 model years.  Now that they have abandoned leasing, I suspect it will become tougher still.  Like quite a few of you here no doubt, the only way I would touch a Chrysler product would be with a short term lease.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 01:16:47 pm »

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 03:02:10 pm »
The sad fact is all 3 are depending on "halo" cars to pull them through.  The good thing is that at least two of them, Ford and GM, have more than a few credible candidates, with more coming on stream within 2 model years.  Also, like the Cylons, they have a plan. ;D

Chrysler, on the other hand, has at most a couple or so:  minivans, Journey, maybe a Jeep offering.  Haven't heard much at all about their road map for the next 2 model years.  Now that they have abandoned leasing, I suspect it will become tougher still.  Like quite a few of you here no doubt, the only way I would touch a Chrysler product would be with a short term lease.

I had forgotten about the minivans when I made my response. Although I am not a fan of the new styling I do tend to like Chrysler minivans. However, Hyundai and Kia have become competitors in this segment whereas a few years ago they were niche competitors at best.

I agree that the Journey could help them in the short term if they can get the word out. I hear that Kia dealers have a hard time having enough ROndos on hand to meet demand. That tells me that the Journey could do well if marketed properly.

mp3butt

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 04:22:20 pm »
From an enthusiast's perspective Chrysler is the least promising of the big 3. We may not have the finanicial details of each company, Chrysler's lineup really makes us think it has brain mets or something. Apparantly Chrysler relies way too much on gas gizzling SUVs and trucks. I think the only way the company can survive in a long run is to have a extraordinary compact car like Mazda 3 or the new Elentra. The much hyped Caliber may not be a bust, but it is such a mediocre vehicle (except its practicality aspect) it is hardly the life-saver.

Just a thought: Or Chrysler can partner with Wal-mart, selling subcompact/compact made by Chery for really cheap (~$7000). I think people would bite

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 04:25:14 pm »
..I'd POP a Chery fer $5K or so................................... :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 05:07:01 pm »
I too think Chrysler is in the worst shape. However, I think before filing for Chapter 11, Cerberus may sell Chrysler piece by piece.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 05:24:18 pm »
..I've only read up ta chapter 9.....is "THERE_A_BUS!!" ;) i can take ta CH XI on tha "jeep"....groan...holdin' Up this once great Co. given me tha Ioccocas...........Bail me Out Fanny May U lite!!! :rofl:

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 05:42:54 pm »
Rumor has it that Harper will offer Chrysler a multi-billion dollar bail-out deal, with the proviso that they set up an assembly plant in Afghanistan. This will give unemployed Taliban terrorists an opportunity to build legal bombs.... :rofl:  :rofl2:  :rofl:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 06:05:16 pm by Schmengie »
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson