Author Topic: CD Article: Buick Century, 1997-2005  (Read 10127 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: Buick Century, 1997-2005
« on: July 30, 2008, 10:58:05 pm »

Used Vehicle Review:
Buick Century, 1997-2005

Buick Century, 1997-2005The Buick Century depreciated rapidly, which can mean good deals for buyers, says Contributing Editor Chris Chase, but watch for some reliability issues and look for a well-maintained model.

More:
Read the article | View the photos | All the Used Vehicle Reviews

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
Re: CD Article: Buick Century, 1997-2005
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:24:35 pm »
.....man.....this blog is dead - not unlike the demographic Buick is aimed at in N/A.

Maybe things 'll pick up once everyone is back from Bingo at the church rectory....

'clap-clap' (lights off)

Fortune favours the bold!

beken

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 04:19:27 pm »
I have a 1999 Century Limited.  I miticulously maintain my cars.  All routine maintainance was performed including oil changes, transmission services, brakes, bulb replacements, fuel pump replacement**, water pump** replacement, and other normal wear and tear items. 

From my point of view it is the reason GM is in such trouble it is today.  Straight out of the factory, a poorly fitting door took 5 trips back to the dealership to fix and only with me standing behind the guy showing him how to do it.   That recall to replace the headlight bulbs with dimmer bulbs required booking a 2 hour appointment, only to find my car wasn't ready when I went to pick it up.   Within the first 5 years of the car, all 12 wheel bolts had been replaced at one time or another as they had broken. 

At about 165,000kms, it was like somebody flipped a switch and all manner of problems happened.  The odometer LED display went blank and required an entire (out of warranty) gauge cluster replacement.  The engine sprung a leak and required the timing chain cover gasket replaced ($$$).   There is still a small leak somewhere but nobody seems to know where.   My wet garage floor is the only evidence of the leak.  Battery terminal cables found a way to sever themselves.  Replaced ignition coil packs as it was not part of the recall, but caused the engine to shut down from time to time (while vehicle was moving) and threw no engine codes.  So nobody will diagnose and fix.

In the last year, I have spent more to get the car running and legally sellable (can't even service the car without a mileage reading) than what the car is worth. 

Otherwise, the Century is a nice quiet and smooth car to drive the family around in.  Especially on those long highway drive vacations.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:35:39 pm »
Yo, Barrie, put this new guy in his place.  :rofl:

Battery terminal cables found a way to sever themselves.

Dude, you got that right.  Those GM side terminal batteries are pure crap.  There is a good thread buried in this site about that issue.

Is GM still using those  ???  :rofl2:

At about 165,000kms, it was like somebody flipped a switch and all manner of problems happened.

It won't be any different with GM's current line up.  A vehicle is only good as the sum of it's parts.  GM specs and sources the cheapest parts possible.  Nothing has changed.  Most likely it's worse because all their suppliers are broke as well.  :P
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:44:13 pm by articsteve »

Greg B.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 02:43:54 pm »
From my point of view it is the reason GM is in such trouble it is today.  Straight out of the factory, a poorly fitting door took 5 trips back to the dealership to fix and only with me standing behind the guy showing him how to do it.   That recall to replace the headlight bulbs with dimmer bulbs required booking a 2 hour appointment, only to find my car wasn't ready when I went to pick it up.   Within the first 5 years of the car, all 12 wheel bolts had been replaced at one time or another as they had broken. 

At about 165,000kms, it was like somebody flipped a switch and all manner of problems happened.  The odometer LED display went blank and required an entire (out of warranty) gauge cluster replacement.  The engine sprung a leak and required the timing chain cover gasket replaced ($$$).   There is still a small leak somewhere but nobody seems to know where.   My wet garage floor is the only evidence of the leak.  Battery terminal cables found a way to sever themselves.  Replaced ignition coil packs as it was not part of the recall, but caused the engine to shut down from time to time (while vehicle was moving) and threw no engine codes.  So nobody will diagnose and fix.

Obviously that is not typical in any way. The only thing typical is that your post generated a typical Quislingesque response from articsteve. Sad.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:00:10 pm »
The only thing typical is that your post generated a typical Quislingesque response from articsteve. Sad.

:)

Have no fear hapless Buick owners.  There waits you all a silver lining.

;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 04:28:09 pm »
And what is traitorous about Artics reply?   And he sure is not a GM collaborationist. 

he claims not be a member of a fascist political party either.

Now here is a reference...

In Max Brooks's novel World War Z, "quisling" refers to a human that had broken down psychologically due to the presence of zombies and thus begun acting like a zombie. These humans attack other humans mindlessly, but, ironically, are still attacked by normal zombies who can tell the difference.   :rofl2: :rofl2:

all references from wiki    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quisling
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Honda Owner

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 01:03:21 pm »
At about 165,000kms, it was like somebody flipped a switch

The cars are designed to last 100,000 miles. It is no mystery.

GM does not actually require its dealers to train its technicians to fix their products. They have a culture of being afraid that the workers will either unionize or strike. The inmates run the place.