Author Topic: Driving with the windows down...  (Read 14042 times)

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
Driving with the windows down...
« on: July 30, 2008, 02:37:15 pm »
I personnaly can't stand driving with the windows down more than a few minutes.  As soon as my speed goes up above 50-60 km/hre, I lock them up and run the AC.  I hate the noise, heat, humidity, dust, turbulence, etc.  In the past when my cars didn't have AC, my left eye would become all red and hurt badly.  I'm definitely not the sunroof/convertible type.

Thing is, Mrs Minou needs "real air from outside". She doesn't like to use her vents but prefers to open her window, go figure!

Now, another couple is set to join us for a short trip to Old Orchard and the other lady is apparently suffering from the same syndrome.

How to argument the issue that nobody will ever suffocate or else, I would be dead a very long time ago?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Re: Driving with the windows down...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 02:40:05 pm »
Do you have a sunroof? Venting it may be a middle ground.

I prefer 'real air' myself unless sickeningly hot in traffic. I typically have windows up with sunroof slid open on the highway.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 02:42:24 pm »
Do those Vent Visor window visors reduce noise and turbulence?

UmroAyyar

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 02:44:11 pm »
Do those Vent Visor window visors reduce noise and turbulence?

I was thinking about that.

I keep the windows open as much as I can, except on the highway or speeds below 70km/h. Based on some passengers' opinions, noise is the major culprit.

Leviathan

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 02:50:03 pm »
Have them think of the car as a ship and yer the Captain (que Saf with a Gavin McLeod pic). Anyone caught opening a window without clearing it with the Captain first will be given a proper "burial at sea"  ;)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 02:59:29 pm »
I usually have my sunroof all the time, as long as it is above -5 and not raining out
Tell the wife the car usually brings in outside unless it is set to recirculate

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 03:03:52 pm »
I have found that the cars I have owned/ driven in the last 10 years or so all suffer from terrible low frequency resonances if only one window is opened and as soon as a second one is open to "detune" the inside of the car it becomes too windy and too noisy.   IMHO also in this last 20 years or so all cars have been designed to use A/C, that is, the air passages are tortuous and constricted as it is expected that the fan will always be on,  and this makes the through-the-system fresh air ventilation not to good either.  

To anwer the question.  Apart from parking lots it would not matter to me if the windows did not open at all
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 03:20:15 pm »
I'm one of those who loves the windows down, at least if the speed is not too high. One of the great things about heated seats is I can roll down the windows in spring/fall/mild winter days.

When I'm driving a vehicle with A/C I still like airflow, with the Tundra I would set A/C on low and roll down the power back window.

I've noticed that other motorcyclists have similar preferences, I guess we are used to fresh air.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 03:23:34 pm »
I love having the windows down, but when only the two back windows are down, we get a horrendous pulsing that hurts my ears.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 03:26:30 pm »
I'm happy to say that my Aerio has less turbulence with the windows open at high speed than the Matrix I was driving for a year. Unlike the Matrix, I’m quite happy to leave the windows open on the highway.

However, I probably wouldn't have the windows open if I wanted to listen to music or talk to someone properly.

I think the best solution is to have those flip out rear windows that only minivans seem to have these days. I had those on my Mazda 323 and there was quite a breeze through the cabin when the rear windows were flipped open and the other windows were closed.

IMHO also in this last 20 years or so all cars have been designed to use A/C, that is, the air passages are tortuous and constricted as it is expected that the fan will always be on,  and this makes the through-the-system fresh air ventilation not to good either.

I prefer my Aerio to the XR Matrix I drove for a year. I found the Matrix became very stuffy, very quickly and always had to have the fan on low. I like my 'low-tech', non-AC, non-cabin filtered Aerio much better.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:56:29 pm by mwqa »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 03:44:50 pm »
OK Leviathan...jest fer U...Cap'n Stubbin' in Kindergarten...... :P ::)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 03:49:47 pm »

I think the best solution is to have those flip out rear windows that only minivans seem to have these days. I had those on my Mazda 323 and there was quite a breeze through the cabin when the rear windows were flipped open and the other windows were closed. \
Where does the breeze come from if the other windows are closed?

I remember my dad's Scout II had flip out mini-windows on the front doors.  Perhaps they should make a come back? See pic.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 03:52:20 pm »
..FLIP OUTS....were they a one finger operation..... ??? ::) :P

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 03:58:45 pm »
I remember my dad's Scout II had flip out mini-windows on the front doors.  Perhaps they should make a come back?

I grew up with pickups with those types of window and I never found them good for much. The problem is you can't adjust the airflow down from full on, it's like sticking your head out into the airstream. Mostly good for breaking into the truck.

The flip out rear windows do work well, my B2000 has them and it doubles the vent airflow. Just watch for the pieces of leaves and what not that come firing out of the non-HEPA filtered vents!

Marc_

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 04:20:01 pm »
My Saab is the worst car I have driven for reverberation when the sunroof is open and no windows.  Second to that would be the Audi A4 Wagon, I remember it to be quite bad as well.

I love all windows down, even at highway speeds, but I find I have to keep my car clean.  I almost lost my blazer out the back window!!

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 04:34:19 pm »
I almost lost my blazer out the back window!!

Hopefully it wasn't a Chevy Blazer.   ;D

I like fresh air, but if it's too damn hot and muggy, on comes the A/C and the windows go up. 

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 04:41:09 pm »
I am not much for windows down. My car's pretty quiet and having the windows open ruins that.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 04:52:59 pm »
If getting a new Mrs. Minou who likes windows up is not practical...

Tell them you're the driver and their lives are in your hands and your comfort for safe operation of vehicle overrides theirs.  If they are not happy, they can walk.  :)

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 04:54:26 pm »
The Versa's pretty quiet with the windows up but it reverberates like a kettle drum with them down at highway speed. I leave the windows up on the highway and open the vents or turn on the A/C.  :)
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 05:10:17 pm »
I remember my dad's Scout II had flip out mini-windows on the front doors.  Perhaps they should make a come back?

I grew up with pickups with those types of window and I never found them good for much. The problem is you can't adjust the airflow down from full on, it's like sticking your head out into the airstream. Mostly good for breaking into the truck.

The flip out rear windows do work well, my B2000 has them and it doubles the vent airflow. Just watch for the pieces of leaves and what not that come firing out of the non-HEPA filtered vents!

Back in the day, my Dad had a '66 Impala - man, that was a nice car :thumbup: - with crank-operated vent windows. They actually worked quite well and you could adjust the flow somewhat by changing the angle. It did get a bit noisier inside the car, but it wasn't bad.