Author Topic: Parking spots - drive in or back in? Am I out to lunch?  (Read 4771 times)

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
Parking spots - drive in or back in? Am I out to lunch?
« on: July 28, 2008, 12:56:11 pm »
Since as long as I can remember, I've always backed into parking spots.  My driveway too.  It isn't a vanity thing, as in "look at how great a driver I am!  I can back into a small spot."  For me it is a clear safety issue.  But I think I must be in a minority.  My office overlooks a neighbouring parking lot and a clear majority of people drive in and back out.  The problem that creates is that the driver must peer through a forest of headrests and seatbelts and into their biggest blind spots while moving into an area where traffic is present.  On the other hand, by backing in I'm able to pull up, assess the spot (is it big enough, is there a shopping cart in it) and then back in.  When I come to leave I'm pulling into traffic with the only blind spots being any large vehicles beside me. 

A couple of weeks ago a person wrote into a column in the Globe and Mail that he wondered why some people back into parking spots, because, in his opinion, having cars backing into traffic is much safer for any pedestrians in the parking lot.  His thinking was that the pedestrian sees the backup lights and can take evasive action.  (This must be opposed to seeing the DRLs and actually making eye contact with the driver...)  Then today at lunch I was at a store and started to pull out of the parking spot.  I was fairly far along when the Jeep Grand Cherokee that was driven in in the spot directly across from me pops it in reverse and comes back at me.  I quickly put my car in reverse and backed up again to avoid an accident.  But this guy gives me a look like I was clearly in the wrong.

So am I wrong in thinking that it is a safety issue?  If it is, is backing into traffic really safer?  Do any jurisdictions mandate one kind of parking over another?

Mike

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: Parking spots - drive in or back in? Am I out to lunch?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 12:59:40 pm »
... His thinking was that the pedestrian sees the backup lights and can take evasive action.

Another clueless journalist ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 01:00:03 pm »
I tend to back in as well. I think it is safer as I can see survey the spot I am about to back into.  With the V70R I back in because 1) The darn airdam is so low  2) The car doesn't have the turning radius to pull into a spot forward in one motion..

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 01:01:05 pm »
seems like ya can't  remember how many beer ya had when ya were OUT TA LUNCH.............. :cheers: :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 01:03:17 pm »
From a safety standpoint, I would agree with you.  From a convenience standpoint, I'm not so sure.

Firstly, backing into a spot deprives me of full access to the rear hatch on my car.  Not good.  Secondly, I wonder about turning ability when it is the wheels to the rear of the motion (front wheels when in reverse) compared to when it is the wheels to the front of the turning motion.  Is it different for pulling out of a parking spot?

Finally, some people might want to get on with their day as soon as they pull in.  As a result, driving forward to park is preferable.  I know this last point is fairly small - some might say petty - but there it is.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:08:42 pm »
I do either or, depending.  I find that, if I'm getting groceries, when I back in two things happen:  people park so close on either side that I can't get the cart to the back of the car, and people park so close to my bumper that I can't get the tailgate open, or reach in to load the groceries.

It is safer to drive out, however:  you can see more.  If I recall, it used to be an offence to back out of a driveway onto a highway, you were required to back in, drive out.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Leviathan

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 01:21:11 pm »
Mostly back in or pull through to the next spot so I'm facing out unless I know I'm loading something. Jim Kenzie had a segment on this very topic.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 01:49:46 pm »
Since you must perform both a drive in and a drive out to park changing the sequence has very little impact on which way is safer than the other.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 01:51:21 pm »
I almost always back in unless i am in a hurry. Backing out of a space has all these negatives. Your work load is higher cause you have to turn to look back as well as check your mirrors. You have to make sure your front isn't going to hit anything as you turn out. And you have to shift the car back to D for an auto or first gear if it's manual.

Why is this even a question? I am sure for those who knows how to back in it's safer while for those who'd hit a car backing into a space front in is safer. Mind you the latter most likely aren't safe in any driving situations.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 02:13:03 pm »
..DOGGY STYLE,,,,,, Wins ...so far............... ;D

Wolfe

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 02:21:21 pm »
..DOGGY STYLE,,,,,, Wins ...so far............... ;D

:drive2:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 02:44:48 pm »
I always drive in and back out... just do.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Marc_

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 02:59:07 pm »

When there are two spots in alignment I PULL THROUGH - that is the easiest way!!!

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 03:04:54 pm »
I go both ways  :hello: ::)

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 04:23:52 pm »
I've seen places where it's mandatory to back in (military bases, hazardous industrial facilities), to make it easier to get out in a hurry. In some countries it is forbidden to back out of a driveway or an alley.
However, I usually drive in for practical reasons - loading groceries in the trunk, plugging in in the winter. At home I drive in too, so the tailpipe points out of the garage.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 04:29:19 pm »
Depends on circumstances, if groceries or something needs to be loaded in the trunk, the car is parked where the trunk is more accessible, as inco said earlier.

I have seen a government related parking lot where the signs in some reserved spots that read 'Park front in' something like that (can't recall exact words).

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 04:50:40 pm »
Since you must perform both a drive in and a drive out to park changing the sequence has very little impact on which way is safer than the other.

??? ::) ???

Unless the stall your backing into has cross traffic, shopping carts, and pedestrians moving about in it, it is infinitely safer to back into a stall than out of one.  When you back into a stall, you know exactly what's there.  When you back out of a stall, you're reversing into traffic (both vehicular and pedestrian).

One of the first things YD teaches is it is most preferable to pull through to aligned spots, then reverse stall park.  That's why every BC driver's test requires a reserve stall park: it is far safer than nose-in parking.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 05:10:44 pm »
I like to back into my driveway. It simply looks better.  :)

However, I just pull in, when I am in a parking lot. I don't mind reversing out.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 05:47:38 pm »

??? ::) ???

Unless the stall your backing into has cross traffic, shopping carts, and pedestrians moving about in it, it is infinitely safer to back into a stall than out of one.  When you back into a stall, you know exactly what's there.  When you back out of a stall, you're reversing into traffic (both vehicular and pedestrian).

One of the first things YD teaches is it is most preferable to pull through to aligned spots, then reverse stall park.  That's why every BC driver's test requires a reserve stall park: it is far safer than nose-in parking.

Unless kids are cutting in between parked cars, or existing a parked car, or leaving the spot next to you all of a sudden. The risks are there in both situations and I have experienced them.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 06:33:34 pm »
It depends.  I usually back into the pink "expectant mothers" spots so I can make a quick getaway when they find out I have no kids and I'm not pregnant... ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...