Author Topic: OMG Mini goes electric in summer 2009 !  (Read 3582 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
OMG Mini goes electric in summer 2009 !
« on: July 22, 2008, 03:29:55 pm »
Now that is smart. Why not take an existing successful model, ditch the engine (OMG, plz ppl, flame not) and shove in an electric motor, hopefully leaving the AC and power options. If batteries come out still too expensive they can always be leased and hopefully the operating costs will still be less than having an equal car and buying gas at buck and thirty+

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/07/22/electric-mini-will-be-in-us-customer-hands-in-summer-2009/

"At a breakfast meeting with MINI USA VP Jim McDowell this morning he was asked to elaborate on recently announced plans for a battery powered MINI. McDowell acknowledged that the US branch was caught somewhat by surprise with the announcement. Plans have not been finalized at this point as to whether the cars will be leased or sold, or how many will be built. What McDowell did say for certain is that electric MINIs will be on the road in the hands of regular customers in the summer of 2009, one year from now. He could not say if all those customers would be in California or if they would be made available nationwide. No specifications such as range are available at this time either.

Update: After the presentation, we talked to McDowell for a few more minutes and although he couldn't say what type of battery will be in the cars, he did say that MINI will make a further announcement later this year, possibly around the time of the Los Angeles Auto Show."
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

xviper

Re: OMG Mini goes electric in summer 2009 !
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 04:04:22 pm »
An interesting idea.  I've always liked the Mini but an electric one with that kind of price tag will have limited market appeal.  People want electric vehicles primarily for city commutes.  They will always still require another vehicle for long distance.  I don't think many people will want a "road trip" vehicle that has to be parked after a couple hundred miles and plugged in overnight before continuing on its journey.  Imagine how long it would take to drive from Calgary to Vancouver in such a thing.  Californians will most likely love this thing.  They've got so much urban sprawl, they can live with it.  They're so much into the "green" thing, they'll have one even if it won't go more than a hundred miles.
Now, the question would be, "Would the average car owner want an electric vehicle as the extra car or would they want a highway vehicle as the extra car?"  If it's the former, will they be willing to pay that kind of money?  "My other car is an electric car" would work if it was cheap.  Sure, there will be people who must have it at any cost, but until they can make it go for hundreds of miles on one charge, those will be far and few.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:06:29 pm by xviper »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 04:16:27 pm »
"but until they can make it go for hundreds of miles on one charge, those will be far and few."

and thats hundreds of miles with a/c on full blast  and also hours in traffic  at -30C with lights and heater on full.

I do not believe that a chemical battery can be made that has the energy density and ease of "recharging" that a 45 litre tank full of 87 octane unleaded does... I just have this intuition that the  reaction speeds required can't be attained  at room temperature or close to it and once you go up the temperature scale you will rapidly run into safety problems. IIRC there is a battery technology,  Sodium-sulphur but it runs at 400 degrees F

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:55:31 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 04:29:34 pm »
An interesting idea.  I've always liked the Mini but an electric one with that kind of price tag will have limited market appeal.  People want electric vehicles primarily for city commutes.  They will always still require another vehicle for long distance.  I don't think many people will want a "road trip" vehicle that has to be parked after a couple hundred miles and plugged in overnight before continuing on its journey.  Imagine how long it would take to drive from Calgary to Vancouver in such a thing.  Californians will most likely love this thing.  They've got so much urban sprawl, they can live with it.  They're so much into the "green" thing, they'll have one even if it won't go more than a hundred miles.
Now, the question would be, "Would the average car owner want an electric vehicle as the extra car or would they want a highway vehicle as the extra car?"  If it's the former, will they be willing to pay that kind of money?  "My other car is an electric car" would work if it was cheap.  Sure, there will be people who must have it at any cost, but until they can make it go for hundreds of miles on one charge, those will be far and few.

I'm sure this man could help you.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

xviper

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 04:35:05 pm »
You make one helluva good point here.  I've often thought about having a high fuel efficiency or electric city car and renting something for those few road trips I might do.  You can buy a lot of rentals for $50,000.00, although I'm sure there would be many downsides to it.  Unfortunately, an pure electric car won't work so good when the winter months come and there are days on end at -25C.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 05:20:12 pm »
I think they are targetting it for the California eco crowd.   Temperature shouldn't be a problem. 

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 05:24:34 pm »
A Mini-e!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 06:42:39 pm »
..make a CUTE fridge inna Wintah tho'................ ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 09:59:12 pm »
You make one helluva good point here.  I've often thought about having a high fuel efficiency or electric city car and renting something for those few road trips I might do.  You can buy a lot of rentals for $50,000.00, although I'm sure there would be many downsides to it.  Unfortunately, an pure electric car won't work so good when the winter months come and there are days on end at -25C.

I guess I'm in the habit of renting, because I refuse to use a personal car for business.

In Regina, most parking spots already have access to receptacles for block heaters. Put a toll on them and allow electrics to maintain a charge during the cold stuff.

I guess I like the idea of an electric city car. Seems logical for the distances the average commuter travels. I do fully realize it's not a panacea, nor solution for everyone.

xviper

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 10:06:24 pm »
If they legalized and brought these to Canada, I would seriously consider one:
http://www.aptera.com/details.php

This electric Mini?  Not so much.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 10:12:38 pm »

Now that is some outside the box thinking! ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 10:45:31 pm »

One plus: no mother-in-law will ask for a lift  ;D

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 11:44:12 pm »
  Unfortunately, an pure electric car won't work so good when the winter months come and there are days on end at -25C.

:iagree: Pure electric cars are literally a no-go in Canada. They're warm-climate urban commuters at best, even then their advantages are minimal to non-existent. :thumbdown: Dumb idea.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 02:07:28 pm »
  Unfortunately, an pure electric car won't work so good when the winter months come and there are days on end at -25C.

:iagree: Pure electric cars are literally a no-go in Canada. They're warm-climate urban commuters at best, even then their advantages are minimal to non-existent. :thumbdown: Dumb idea.

..and yet I hear somewhere in Canada ppl have trolley buses. ;)
However if the issue does exist it will be solved by either use of super capacitors or insulating the battery pack and even using some of its energy to keep it above zero. When driving in winter some heat can be taken from the controller.
Do you have any info that modern battery tech such as LiFePo4 is winter prone?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 02:39:48 pm »
..MMmmmmm Panacea....make mine loaded wif  fantasy chillies hollow peenyas & Peppered with fakin' bits and double crossed cheesy ideas......... :lick: :drool: :fall:

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 02:51:06 pm »

Look up. You'll see those trolley buses use overhead lines to supply continuous electric power. Not too practical for cars methinks.  ::)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 02:54:04 pm »

Crikey, it's the Jetsons!!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 02:57:42 pm »

Look up. You'll see those trolley buses use overhead lines to supply continuous electric power. Not too practical for cars methinks.  ::)
Trolley buses need two wires  unlike street cars which only need one and thats why there are very few of them.

Now maybe Tesla had the idea, broadcast power for electric cars.... trouble is, all those people who whine about a field of a few microvolts/metre for  cellphones or wifi will get REALLY upset at a few 10s of volts/metre (or more) for broadcast power.

xviper

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 02:59:42 pm »
It's not that these things are driven by electric motors.  Electric motors are great.  Instant torque.  No noise.  Few moving parts.  It's that the power comes from a self contained, stand alone battery pack.  A Mini would look a bit odd with twin power poles sticking out the top.  Besides, I don't think I'd like to be restricted to my destination based on where the overhead power lines run.   ;)
Now here's a thought ............. Let's run overhead power lines along the Trans Canada highway just for electric vehicle.  Pay as you go toll.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 03:11:47 pm »
..that would be a return of tha POLE TAX.... :P..or..For whom the Toll balls.....