Author Topic: Next gen Honda S2000  (Read 16973 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Next gen Honda S2000
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2008, 02:53:43 am »

I love the Elise/Exige it's my dream car. Hopefully I'll get one later on.
Even Lotus realized the Elise was underpowered, that's why they came out with the ExigeS. Now they have the supercharged Elise and they've further bumped the HP and torque on the new ExigeS-240. This is the right way to keep your product fresh and current.

The only reason Lotus keep adding to the Elise and Exige is to drive sales, as you say "fresh and current".  They didn't just "realise they were underpowered".  Unfortunately most lotus drivers get the same as probably most S2000 drivers, you get every bar room car expert saying, "what engine is it, a 1.8l, my car is 2.5l so is obviously faster/better handling/better etc etc."  A well driven bog standard 1.8l N/A Elise will out handle most cars in the twisties and on a track, problem is, most owners don't know how to get the best out of them, just as xviper was saying with the S2000.

Supercharging both the Elise and Exige basically solved a couple of owners issues, firstly they are now faster on larger tracks as they have better torque lower down the rev range, secondly they got rid of the massive kick at 6k RPM when the toyota engine switched cams, which I think was the wrong move as I loved that!  If I was buying used now it would be a difficult decision, the supercharged car is undoubtedly better accelerating, but it has reliability/dealer issues, the N/A car is simpler and more in keeping with the Lotus ethos, I'd like to be in the position to have problems choosing... :drool:  I'd got for the "S"!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Jameel

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2008, 10:29:56 am »
Supercharging both the Elise and Exige basically solved a couple of owners issues, firstly they are now faster on larger tracks as they have better torque lower down the rev range, secondly they got rid of the massive kick at 6k RPM when the toyota engine switched cams, which I think was the wrong move as I loved that!  If I was buying used now it would be a difficult decision, the supercharged car is undoubtedly better accelerating, but it has reliability/dealer issues, the N/A car is simpler and more in keeping with the Lotus ethos, I'd like to be in the position to have problems choosing... :drool:  I'd got for the "S"!
You basically proved my point, it needed a bit more HP. It was getting beat at the track where the Elise and S2000 are suppose to shine, why because they are a little underpowered. Lotus addressed that with the EliseSC/ExigeS, but Honda has not!

Quote from: kevlar
the lotus and the s2000 are my 2 favourite sports cars because they don't follow the "easy path" of just slamming a big engine in the back to make it go fast.  these cars are so well thought out in every respect.  if you know how to drive them they are very fast and a joy to drive on twisty roads.  i love the sharp and agile feeling you get from a small, light car.  it would be a mistake to give the s2000 a much bigger engine.  it just wouldn't be the same concept and wouldn't represent what honda is about.  dear honda leave the big heavy muscle cars to the americans. 
Agreed if I had the choice between an ExigeS-240 vs Porsche 911, I'd much rather have the ExigeS-240.

Kevlar, are you implying all the people who add superchargers / turbochargers to their S2000/Elise don't know how to drive their cars'?
Wing, do you have anything to say about that?!  :stick:

And how come there's a huge aftermarket support for supercharged Elises (look up BWR or Katana). The Elise crowd is definitely not about drag racing, a lot of these guys are doing Lapping days and full out racing.

So are you implying a Corvette C5Z06 can't out handle an S2000? If so check out the links below:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=155&page_number=5
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=155&page_number=3

It shows the C5Z06 beating the S2000 and NSX in lap times, slalom and Gs. If you click on the other pages of that article it shows the Z06 beating the 911 Turbo lap times and within 6 tenths from the 360 modena. Keep in mind this is the 385HP Z06, the 2002 to 2004 Z06 have 405HP, so I'm sure it could have tired the modena for lap time.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2008, 10:38:06 am »
I added the supercharger for the fun factor not to actually be faster at anything.

I suspect if anything it will make me slower at auto-x because it is more difficult to control now but more fun. :)

Z06 should out handle an S2000 it's twice the price (well originally was).  Slalom and G's IMO are dependent a lot on tire.  The Z06 comes with much stickier tires stock than does the S2000.

Look at those max G's for the S2000 on stock tires. 0.90G?  Bah I can easily pull 1.2g's :)  All tire.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2008, 10:40:47 am »
S2000: 0–60 mph    4.9 sec

Wow how the heck did they do that?  Amazing!  Must have been a cool day down hill hahahaha

Jameel

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 11:22:06 am »
I added the supercharger for the fun factor not to actually be faster at anything.

I suspect if anything it will make me slower at auto-x because it is more difficult to control now but more fun. :)

Z06 should out handle an S2000 it's twice the price (well originally was).  Slalom and G's IMO are dependent a lot on tire.  The Z06 comes with much stickier tires stock than does the S2000.

Look at those max G's for the S2000 on stock tires. 0.90G?  Bah I can easily pull 1.2g's :)  All tire.
True more HP initially will be a detriment to the times, but as you get use to the power, you should get faster times (because of the supercharger). It's hard to say since the track changes all the time. But your lap times should get closer to the purpose built cars. Like the chopped MR2, the stripped out Civic with the big wings and DaveT's miata.

But look at the slalom for the NSX, it's got a slower time compared to the S2000. Does that mean the NSX has worse tires than the S2000?
If you're going to base this on price the NSX, Porsche 911Turbo, Ferrari 360 and Ferrari 550 are all more expensive compared to the Z06. Yet it beat them all (except for the 360 lap time). So I don't know how much price can be argued in this situation.

Yah the great thing about GM is the depreciation curve. You can easily pick up a 2002 to 2004 C5Z06 for the Same Price as a 2004 to 2007 S2000.

Yes I too was impressed with the 0-60 time of the S2000. I've never seen any other publication get the S2000 in the high 4s. I've mostly seen mid 5secs times. I don't know how the S2000 tied the NSX for 0-60?!
And I was a bit disappointed with the Z06 time. 4.6sec. Other magazines got 3.85 secs for a 2002 to 2004 Z06. And GM claim 3.9secs?

To the "arm chair" police  :popo:, I admit, I'm guilty of "arm chair racing".
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:27:46 am by Jameel »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2008, 05:31:11 pm »
You basically proved my point, it needed a bit more HP. It was getting beat at the track where the Elise and S2000 are suppose to shine, why because they are a little underpowered. Lotus addressed that with the EliseSC/ExigeS, but Honda has not!

And how come there's a huge aftermarket support for supercharged Elises (look up BWR or Katana). The Elise crowd is definitely not about drag racing, a lot of these guys are doing Lapping days and full out racing.

I didn't prove your point at all, I was just agreeing in part.  It depends on the track and the driver, personally I think the N/A Exige is the more "Lotus" car, I would just want an "S" to try something different.  They certainly weren't getting beaten at the track so they needed to supercharge it.

And when you say, "And how come there's a huge aftermarket support for supercharged Elises ", there is a huge aftermarket support for ruining  :P Elises generally in the US, loads of the North American Elises have ridiculous bodykits, massive superchargers, aftermarket alloys etc.  One guy even had something like 19" spinnaz on his, some one else on elisetalk had his gun mounted in it.  More people there seem to buy it for posing/dragging than for the driveability/handling.

IMO the Exige S it too heavy, should be 200KG lighter.

Jameel

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2008, 09:14:39 pm »
I didn't prove your point at all, I was just agreeing in part.  It depends on the track and the driver, personally I think the N/A Exige is the more "Lotus" car, I would just want an "S" to try something different.  They certainly weren't getting beaten at the track so they needed to supercharge it.

And when you say, "And how come there's a huge aftermarket support for supercharged Elises ", there is a huge aftermarket support for ruining  :P Elises generally in the US, loads of the North American Elises have ridiculous bodykits, massive superchargers, aftermarket alloys etc.  One guy even had something like 19" spinnaz on his, some one else on elisetalk had his gun mounted in it.  More people there seem to buy it for posing/dragging than for the driveability/handling.

IMO the Exige S it too heavy, should be 200KG lighter.
There's also an idiot on LotusTalk that put T.V. in the back of his seat in an Elise. I can't believe it. I would think Elise's would be immune to poseurs. I guess not!
Yah I remember seeing the gun holder pictures! Stupid, I didn't think rednecks drove Elises'?!

What I meant about big aftermarket, I was solely referring too superchargers not aftermarket rims and body kits. Bob, you must know about the amount of guys on LotusTalk putting BWR / Katana superchargers.  These cars are getting used for racing or Lapping days, so obviously they see the requirement for more HP/Torque.

Okay, Bob, then what about the two eleven (2-11). It's a stripped down, track car. And what did lotus decide to do? Put a supercharger in it? Why?

Quote from: kevlar
jameel.  you should reread my post.   i said putting a BIG engine would be a big mistake for the s2000 or lotus.  they are both about balance not brute force.
And I agreed that maybe they shouldn't put a 6cyl in the S2000, but definitely should turbo/supercharge it. Lotus did it with their Elise/Exige? What, Honda, doesn't want a competitive car?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:19:22 pm by Jameel »

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2008, 01:19:23 am »
While I'm all for a boosted S2000, whose to say it's not competitive in its current form?  The S2000 makes 239 hp - the Boxster makes 245, and the BMW Z4 a measly 215 in non-M guise.  When Top Gear tested these three, they really liked the Honda...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2008, 01:27:25 am »
Awesome vid of Keichii Tsuchiya (aka Drift King) with the S2000 at the 'Ring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfyRA-g1nhI
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2008, 06:46:22 am »
I hope they make the shoulder area wider on the seats
but then I have my ragtop already and do not think I will be buying another toy :'( they can do what they want with it ;)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2008, 07:25:23 am »
I don't understand why everyone is arguing about this car, it's not the next S2000, it's just a Honda concept car.

???

Jameel

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2008, 09:48:51 am »
I don't understand why everyone is arguing about this car, it's not the next S2000, it's just a Honda concept car.

???

We're not arguing about this car in particular, we're just talking about what we'd like in the next S2000.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2008, 10:04:24 am »
I don't understand why everyone is arguing

We're not arguing

Ooohhhh yes we are!  :P

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2008, 10:09:45 am »
Those who spout off at the mouth about the S2000 being useless...
No one with an S2000 who successfully out drags...
Then they meet up with a little high revving 4-banger with a driver who knows what he's doing and wonder why the thing is just inching ahead of them...
That's when they start to make excuses for what they did wrong or some goofy thing that wasn't quite right with their cars.....
The typical scenario is when some dumb, new S2000 owner comes along who can't drive stick...
The fat cat goes around bragging how that "little POS" is a torqueless wonder...
It was the dumbass driver making it look bad for all S2000s...

Stereotypical forum-populated-by-youngsters-with-fast-cars overload!
Archetypical forum-populated-by-youngsters-with-fast-cars overload! 
OMG BBQ!!one!eleven!!! ::head explodes:: 

I didn't get much of S2ki either.  I was browsing for informed technical type discussions.  I mostly got "comparisons" and crash stories!  But then I don't drive an S2000...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2008, 12:16:39 pm »
 ::)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

infinityel

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2008, 12:50:14 pm »
WOW THAT IS HOTTT!!!!