Author Topic: Are these figures correct?  (Read 5069 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Are these figures correct?
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 08:48:59 pm »
They are correct. Toyota and Honda have been manipulating their epa esimates for a long time. NOW THE TRUTH COMES OUT!!!!

What a G5 gets 48MPG ?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 08:57:44 pm »
The EPA rates (highway, 5 speed manual) the G5 XFE, a high mileage model we don't get here, at 6.7L/100km, (or 42 Imp MPG). For comparison, the Corolla gets 6.4 (44 Imp. mpg) and the Civic gets 6.9 (41mpg). So it's basically competitive. Driving style will make more difference than the difference between models.

Also from the EPA the Aveo5 gets 6.9L/100km (Imp 41mpg), the same as the Fit and less than the Yaris 6.5 (43 Imp. mpg)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:03:42 pm by Big_Thumb »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 09:00:08 pm »
The EPA rates the G5 XFE, a high mileage model we don't get here, at 6.7L/100km, (or 42 Imp MPG). For comparison, the Corolla gets 6.4 (44 Imp. mpg) and the Civic gets 6.9 (41mpg). So it's basically competitive. Driving style will make more difference than the difference between models.

meh....

Yeah but 6MPG difference is a big difference when people are quoting misleading figures to drive sales..?  I agree on driving style but you have to use averages when comparing different models.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 09:05:09 pm »
The EPA rates the G5 XFE, a high mileage model we don't get here, at 6.7L/100km, (or 42 Imp MPG). For comparison, the Corolla gets 6.4 (44 Imp. mpg) and the Civic gets 6.9 (41mpg). So it's basically competitive. Driving style will make more difference than the difference between models.

meh....

Yeah but 6MPG difference is a big difference when people are quoting misleading figures to drive sales..?  I agree on driving style but you have to use averages when comparing different models.

Agreed. That's why I never get my information from salesmen or newspaper adverts! They may be opening themselves up for misleading advertising accusations.

Cortina

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 09:20:45 pm »
then its time for you to reconsider such a sweeping statement as "The Domestics are the worst when comes to gas mileage"

:iagree:

My mistake. :)

To be honest I got carry-way on my high horse again. ;D

Offline KRS

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Camaro, 2009 Sierra
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 09:25:18 pm »

meh....

Agreed. That's why I never get my information from salesmen or newspaper adverts! They may be opening themselves up for misleading advertising accusations.

The 6 MPG difference diifference is I believe due to the difference in how the EPA and Natural Resources Canada mandates testing. If you go to the NRC website at http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tools/fuelratings/ratings-search.cfm?attr=8 You will Find that according to the Canadian government  48 MPG is what a G5 with the 2.2 Litre 5 speed achieves on the Highway cycle of testing. Also its worth considering that if your buying a new vehicle in Canada that the Energuide Mileage ratings are on the window stickers so it's not easy for a salesman to lie to you if you do a little research. For what its worth the NRC site says the 2008 corolla gets 53 MPG highway and as I had in my previous post the Civic has a 52 MPG highway rating in their most efficient models so the better mileage in Canadian testing is the same across the board.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.<br />        H. L. Mencken<br />      (1880 - 1956)

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2008, 09:48:40 pm »

meh....

The 6 MPG difference diifference is I believe due to the difference in how the EPA and Natural Resources Canada mandates testing. If you go to the NRC website at http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tools/fuelratings/ratings-search.cfm?attr=8 You will Find that according to the Canadian government  48 MPG is what a G5 with the 2.2 Litre 5 speed achieves on the Highway cycle of testing. Also its worth considering that if your buying a new vehicle in Canada that the Energuide Mileage ratings are on the window stickers so it's not easy for a salesman to lie to you if you do a little research. For what its worth the NRC site says the 2008 corolla gets 53 MPG highway and as I had in my previous post the Civic has a 52 MPG highway rating in their most efficient models so the better mileage in Canadian testing is the same across the board.

You are correct. I didn't check the Energuide numbers. Their testing is more optimistic then the EPA method.

For those interested: www.fueleconomy.gov
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:50:21 pm by Big_Thumb »

Mitlov

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 09:59:07 pm »
They are correct. Toyota and Honda have been manipulating their epa esimates for a long time. NOW THE TRUTH COMES OUT!!!!

Five bucks says GMGod is actually one of the anti-domestic folks on this website trolling.  Does anybody know how to check his IP to see if he shares it with another member?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 10:22:05 pm »
Your IP address is shown only to you and moderators. Remember that this information is not identifying, and that most IPs change periodically.

You cannot see other members' IP addresses, and they cannot see yours.

Close window
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

gmgod

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 06:39:49 am »

Five bucks says GMGod is actually one of the anti-domestic folks on this website trolling.  Does anybody know how to check his IP to see if he shares it with another member?

You owe me 5 bucks.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 07:52:31 am »

You owe me 5 bucks.

Is that a North American made 5 bucks, or an imported 5 bucks?