Author Topic: Changes for 2009 Impreza US model (maybe Canada?)  (Read 34112 times)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: Changes for 2009 Impreza US model (maybe Canada?)
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2008, 12:14:51 am »
You know your beans, Bob.  :)

Wonder what the insurance cost difference is between the STi & WRX265.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2008, 09:54:46 am »
The performance numbers for the 265 are so very close to a COBB Stage 2. Typical gains from stock from a stage 2 are 55-60 HP that results in a 0-60 of 4.6 seconds. Now toss in the improved handling as a result of suspension work and proper tires the package is complete. However a prospective buyer will have to budget $1000 for winter boots.

I have bounced back and forth between the STi and 265 for RUT RO 3 but the more you think about it the 265 is the logical choice. Just imagine what an aftermarket turbo-back would do to it?

Offline jaman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +43/-573
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mazda CX-5 GX
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2008, 12:54:55 pm »
Just from an acceleration point of view, the 0-60 times for awd cars are always misleading because unless you're okay with killing your clutch/transmission, you're not coming anywhere close to the reported times. I personally like the 5-60 time better; more representative of real world.

However, I'm not trying to take anything way from this car's performance, a 0-60 time of 4.8 is wicked anyway you look at it.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2008, 01:06:08 pm »
Jaman, that's a very good point -- the 30-50 and 50-70 numbers also mean a lot to me too.  If the car has good, usable power throughout the rev range (like, oh, say BMW's 3L turbo) and proper gearing, then it should excel in all those tests. 

Vman, WRXs have historically been hideous to insure in Ontario.  Second highest theft rate or something like that, not to mention so many young bucks writing them off -- they're brutal to insure compared to some of their competitors.  In both '04 and '06 when I seriously considered picking one up, the combination of insurance costs and unfavourable lease rates all conspired against the Subies for me.  At least one of those has been addressed...   ;)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2008, 01:13:18 pm »
Just from an acceleration point of view, the 0-60 times for awd cars are always misleading because unless you're okay with killing your clutch/transmission, you're not coming anywhere close to the reported times. I personally like the 5-60 time better; more representative of real world.

However, I'm not trying to take anything way from this car's performance, a 0-60 time of 4.8 is wicked anyway you look at it.

People with no experience with AWD cars tend to dump the clutch at launch which is a no no. The correct procedure is to slip the clutch while maintaining minimal rpm slightly above full turbo boost. The trick is to release the clutch in a fashion similar to lifting your foot after stepping in a pile of dog poo and applying full acceleration. I have beaten up two WRX’s in the past 6 years with countless dead stop launches with no transmission or clutch issues. It is all in the technique.

Offline jaman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +43/-573
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mazda CX-5 GX
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2008, 06:16:15 pm »
By correct procedure, do you mean to get the lowest 0-60 time or clutch/transmission life? I would imagine that if your car has enough power to get some wheelspin, then dumping the clutch will result in lower 0-60 times.

So you're saying that after "countless dead stop launches" you didn't neeed a new clutch?

In either case, the presence of awd allows for much greater torque application before you get wheel spin. So there is much more stress on the entire drivetrain than would be in a 2-wheel drive car during a start from a dead stop. If the Subaru WRX is sufficiently built, then it's not a problem, but if it's like the Nissan GTR....then you're  :'(

People with no experience with AWD cars tend to dump the clutch at launch which is a no no. The correct procedure is to slip the clutch while maintaining minimal rpm slightly above full turbo boost. The trick is to release the clutch in a fashion similar to lifting your foot after stepping in a pile of dog poo and applying full acceleration. I have beaten up two WRX’s in the past 6 years with countless dead stop launches with no transmission or clutch issues. It is all in the technique.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2008, 06:35:24 pm »
By correct procedure, do you mean to get the lowest 0-60 time or clutch/transmission life? I would imagine that if your car has enough power to get some wheelspin, then dumping the clutch will result in lower 0-60 times.

So you're saying that after "countless dead stop launches" you didn't neeed a new clutch?

In either case, the presence of awd allows for much greater torque application before you get wheel spin. So there is much more stress on the entire drivetrain than would be in a 2-wheel drive car during a start from a dead stop. If the Subaru WRX is sufficiently built, then it's not a problem, but if it's like the Nissan GTR....then you're  :'(

My 2002 WRX was modded to 345 HP and required no clutch or transmission work after 135,000 km. I was so happy I go another one. Wheelspin is counterproductive to traction  :) IMO people who mangled 2’dn gear and clutches in their WRX’s had skill set and IQ issues.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2008, 10:38:49 pm »
Well, I think "dumping" the clutch in any car is going to give you transmission woes.....

Exactly, I never dumped the clutch in the exige, too much mechanical sympathy...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2008, 10:45:30 am »
Man, all the positive reviews for this car make it harder and harder to consider anything else in the price range.

That performance is incredible, plus the practicality of AWD and space in the 5-door...

PLUS...you could get one loaded out the door for under $40k.

The obvious downsides are in the styling (subjective...but really, what were they thinking with those tail lights on the hatch?) and maybe interior quality.  But to be fair, I haven't sat in one, so maybe I'll be surprised.

I will certainly be stopping at the local subie dealer next spring for a test drive.  Or maybe even a winter test, just to see what the AWD can do :P

me likey.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2008, 05:57:51 pm »

My 2002 WRX was modded to 345 HP and required no clutch or transmission work after 135,000 km. I was so happy I go another one. Wheelspin is counterproductive to traction  :) IMO people who mangled 2’dn gear and clutches in their WRX’s had skill set and IQ issues.

Are you saying that you dump the clutch or not here?

In my WRX I haven't dump the clutch yet. What I have done is rev to about 3300, take my foot slightly off the gas, drop the clutch, get the car moving and then hammer the gas. It seems to be all about timing because sometimes I get better launches then others.

I would be scared to do this over 4000 in my car. I used to do it in my civic SIR but the wheels would just spin. Well actually once I did it in a loaded car, the wheels didn't spin and the clutch got stinky. I never did that again.
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2008, 06:00:19 pm »

My 2002 WRX was modded to 345 HP and required no clutch or transmission work after 135,000 km. I was so happy I go another one. Wheelspin is counterproductive to traction  :) IMO people who mangled 2’dn gear and clutches in their WRX’s had skill set and IQ issues.

Are you saying that you dump the clutch or not here?

In my WRX I haven't dump the clutch yet. What I have done is rev to about 3300, take my foot slightly off the gas, drop the clutch, get the car moving and then hammer the gas. It seems to be all about timing because sometimes I get better launches then others.

I would be scared to do this over 4000 in my car. I used to do it in my civic SIR but the wheels would just spin. Well actually once I did it in a loaded car, the wheels didn't spin and the clutch got stinky. I never did that again.

No dumping