Author Topic: Changes for 2009 Impreza US model (maybe Canada?)  (Read 34152 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: Changes for 2009 Impreza US model (maybe Canada?)
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 06:36:05 am »
I find it strange that they offer both the WRX and the WRX265 in Canada. In the US they are calling the 224 hp impreza the gt-s and it will be only available in automatic. Plus they are expected to be the same price ???

I guess I should be glad that I got mine from the US and saved some money. If I had paid full Canadian prices and found out that for 3K more I could have had 40 more HP and a better suspension I would have been pretty pissed.

If I went to a stage 2 set up I would get about 265 - 280+ HP. I think that's what snowman has.
Maybe I should wait a bit and try to pick up a used 09 turbo from somebody upgrading.

Does anyone know what type of turbo is going to be in the 09 WRX265?

A quality Stage 2 kit and a skilled tuner can easily get you 300 HP.

Currently I have an upgraded exhaust. So if I add a down pipe (maybe a hi flow intake) and a tune I can get 300 hp out of my TD04 turbo? How much better is a pro tune compared to an off the shelf one from say Perrin.

Even with only an upgraded exhaust you need ECU programming to adjust for the proper fuel and air ratios. I would get an AccessPort form COBB and go to a reputable tuner with an AWD dyno.

The OEM turbo is fine and should get you to 20 psi on 94. I changed my turbo on the 2002 WRX and had about 340 HP but all in the mid and high rpm ranges. I have my most fun in first gear now. :)

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 07:40:07 am »
2009 Subaru Impreza 4 Door Sport Package 170 HP, 16 inch wheels Base Suspension No Climate Control

Price 24695 CANADIAN

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4 door 265 HP 17 wheels Performance Suspension Climate Control

Price $24,995 US

What the heck is wrong with this picture Subaru? $600 more for a WRX (less actually becuase freight and PDI are likley much less) than what we pay for a tarted up base Impreza?

A 6,000 price gap? Almost 25%

Its been more than long enough to allowfor the exchange rate but they are still soaking it to canadians.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 09:52:56 am »
 ::) Please stop polluting threads with US vs. CDN pricing ranting as there is an entire section dedicated to this. Some of us could care less and pay the price of admission.

Offline rsxca

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +21/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic Si, RSX, Volvo XC70, GTI, 328i
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 10:09:15 am »
If these changes where on the car for 2008 I may have picked the WRX over my GTI.  Would have may the price difference worth buying the WRX.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 10:37:25 am »
::) Please stop polluting threads with US vs. CDN pricing ranting as there is an entire section dedicated to this. Some of us could care less and pay the price of admission.

I don't think this is polution or off topic at all. Subaru anounced model changes, pricing changes . Its part of the discussion of this announcment by Subaru on this model not a general rant. Don't like it scroll on down.

On a postive note it appears that VDC is standard on both Can and US models which other manufactures have not always followed. AWD VDC and good crash ratings makes this IMO one of the safest cars on the road for the price. Its not all about crash ratings. Subaru does things to help avoid the crashes. I'd like to see a discounted snow tire package as part of some kind of saftey promo. Now that woukld really be something to advertise.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 12:38:18 pm »

I don't think this is polution or off topic at all. Subaru anounced model changes, pricing changes . Its part of the discussion of this announcment by Subaru on this model not a general rant. Don't like it scroll on down.

On a postive note it appears that VDC is standard on both Can and US models which other manufactures have not always followed. AWD VDC and good crash ratings makes this IMO one of the safest cars on the road for the price. Its not all about crash ratings. Subaru does things to help avoid the crashes. I'd like to see a discounted snow tire package as part of some kind of saftey promo. Now that woukld really be something to advertise.

Announcing price and options changes is one thing but complaining about the price relative to the U.S. is another topic.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 01:44:28 pm »
What is the title of this thread?

Changes for 2009 Impreza US model (maybe Canada?)

It is specifically discussing the US model. So differences in trim , VDC colors etc are allowed but price is not.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 02:04:09 pm »
What is the title of this thread?

Changes for 2009 Impreza US model (maybe Canada?)

It is specifically discussing the US model. So differences in trim , VDC colors etc are allowed but price is not.

You are right! Canada sucks.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 05:17:05 pm »
Still a touchy subject for some I guess.
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 08:43:55 pm »

I’m just tired of hearing the constant complaining about how we pay more here in Canada for consumer products. Please feel free to exercise your option and fack-off south where the grass is greener  :)  :stfu:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 09:20:21 pm »

I’m just tired of hearing the constant complaining about how we pay more here in Canada for consumer products. Please feel free to exercise your option and fack-off south where the grass is greener  :)  :stfu:
Ha ha, and the necks are redder!

Toolate, are you gonna buy one or not, if not, quit moaning about it!  They charge what demand dictates, get over it.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 09:38:15 pm »
That's your right but you should ignore those people. Its almost impossible to control topics will pop up in any forum, especially one as open as this one.

Currently my plans are to get an access port and install a Perrin Stage1 map. and maybe a year after that get a catted down pipe and go to stage2. If I get the power bug and I would consider a turbo upgrade to the one from the LGT or maybe the one from the new WRX265. That way I can pick one up cheep from someone who is upgrading and I won't need to upgrade anything else. When I go two stage2 I'll probably get it pro tuned but I have no idea were I would get that done around here I might have to drive to Montreal or something.

In regards to the down pipe, the oem down pipe is catted and after market ones can come both ways. Catless is obviously cheaper and wold flow better = more power. In Canada do you have to have a certain number of catalytic converters in your system to meet O2 restrictions? The up pipe is also catted so there would at least be one there. I would hate to make changes that would cause my car to fail an emissions test.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 09:42:22 pm »
No e-testing in Northern Ontario  :)

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 01:59:03 am »

Really I wonder why?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 06:30:10 am »

Really I wonder why?

Try telling a person living in a town of 2000 they need to drive 4 hours to have an e-test done.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 07:11:00 am »

I would think someone who was tired of hearing it would move their mouse to the right scroll down and ignore it. Not make multiple posts about US/Canada pricwe themselves (that's what you are doing expressing your opinion that we should accept it).

I didn't see the words Subaru Modifications for new 09 Impreza anywhere in the title but you seem perfectly content to take the topic that way.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 08:21:32 am »

I would think someone who was tired of hearing it would move their mouse to the right scroll down and ignore it. Not make multiple posts about US/Canada pricwe themselves (that's what you are doing expressing your opinion that we should accept it).

I didn't see the words Subaru Modifications for new 09 Impreza anywhere in the title but you seem perfectly content to take the topic that way.

In post number 22 you brought up the US vs. CDN price issue, I did not start the fire.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 12:27:05 pm »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 12:52:17 pm »
Snowman does your car do this?
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/COBB-CATLESS-TBE-on-an-05_102809.htm

Sounds right… :)...but I’m not sure going catless alone would create enough heat in the exhaust to ignite the excess fuel during throttle lift between shifts..... I suspect buddy has a sparker in his pipe.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile